Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Trophs.com Marketplace > LittleAfricaAquatics

Notices

LittleAfricaAquatics Trophs.com Owner and Site Sponsor Direct Importer Ships Livestock Throughout the U.S.A and Canada "The Highest Quality In African Cichlids"

Old 09-17-2014
kyfront33

::Profile::
Keeping: More then I should be

I agree about responsible breeder Andrew. But things can happen out of our control. Faulty heaters, stress of shipping, broken tanks. Etc etc. At least if something happened in the lake it was nature that caused it. I'm all for tropheus in our aquariums but the fish's best interests should be first
Old 09-18-2014
LittleAfricaAquatics.com
Trophs.com Owner Sponsor And Admin

Keeping: A lot
Send a message via MSN to LittleAfricaAquatics.com

Its all about being responsible. As for the breeding their in Tanzania and supplying us with fry that sounds great, less risk as a importer, but whos going to do that? Just remember if no importing none of these trophs we love so much would be here, its unfortunate that in the 80s they really hurt alot of their numbers, I try to alternate these days on what I bring in, for example the lueba, I have only imported it a handful of times even though its offered to me more. The undisclosed spot thing is often done over there so that the few that know about it can collect there without their competition getting them, collectors dont want their competition finding their spots, kind of like their numbers with deep sea fishing captians. In all my years I have never seen the fish in person. This fish as to my knowledge has never even hit the US so we arent over fishing it here. I was already told it wont be collected very often. Divers dont like to spend a whole day and come up with a few fish when they can go collect fronts or somethign else and bring tons up. This is the first time I have ever been offered the fish. Im all for getting it here and getting populations going just like I did with the Petro Bulu reds years back. I chased that fish for over a decade beofre landing it and I took very good care of my group and supplied most of the US with their first groups. My group produced 1000s of fry. So much that I only was importing them about twice a year. It will be great to get somethign here that EUR has hogged for so long. I already had plans on keeping them and breeding them but didnt want to dash everyones hopes. When it comes to a fish liek this im not going to import tons, I might only get one shot at getting them, I have been after the Troph Kush for almost a decade now and nothing. As of now I cant say they are over fished as they just havent showed up and you rarely hear about them, but like any other fish will take it into account in the future if I do hear. While some people might see this fish and see dollar signs Im truely inspired and excited to see it in person as a tropheus and african lover. Years back I wanted to start importing hecqui back into the US, not because I thought I would make a fortune on a fish I sale at $55/Pair, but because they hadnt been imported here in so long all the oens I was seeing locally and in the US were starting to not even look like the same fish. Theres a lot of basic fish they just stoped collecting that arent expensive or rare, but we dont see anymore and I try to get them back here. As far as stressed fish many of you might notice I havent imported wild Ilangi for almost a year now. They have been offered to me abotu every other time, but after talking with so many about the populations I decided against it and havent brought a single one in for awhile now. I have a nice large wild population at my friend Johns house so just been breeding them.
Old 09-18-2014
LittleAfricaAquatics.com
Trophs.com Owner Sponsor And Admin

Keeping: A lot
Send a message via MSN to LittleAfricaAquatics.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyfront33 View Post
I agree about responsible breeder Andrew. But things can happen out of our control. Faulty heaters, stress of shipping, broken tanks. Etc etc. At least if something happened in the lake it was nature that caused it. I'm all for tropheus in our aquariums but the fish's best interests should be first
Not exactly, if China gets to drill there and one large oil spill happens I wouldnt call that caused by nature. Think of what a oil spill does to a ocean, what do you think it will do to a lake? Its common knowledge they already have specs and are trying to do it there, once that happens watch out. One other thing to consider is Africa is a very poor country. Even though I try to be responsible and get rare fish in the right peoples hands, stop importing fish under stress it doent mean others do. With Africa being such a poor country they are going to deplete their resources, I wish that wasnt the case. What needs to be doen is more protected areas, parks, I was glad to hear the area where the Sumbu comps are collected was expanded with more protection, thats the key. I mean dont get me wrong some will still go in there and ilegally collect, but not the well know exporters. Others things accuring are ive heard of lg numbers of the gobies being killed off from deforstation aroudn the lake. The pulp from the wood, soot and polution knocking out the O2 inthe shallows and lg numbers of gobies washing up dead. In the end we cant control lg scale events, oil, what we can do on our end is be responsible with the fish we keep. One of the biggest things I have been looking forward to for ever is to get my larger place so I cant get back to breeding on a lg scale. I just dont have the space now, but as soon as I do I will be breeding tons of different species.
Old 09-18-2014
DireWolf

Keeping: Petro "Orange Fin Kigoma" Tropheus sp. Red Moliro

great info and discussion. i had no idea it would create such, and a new Murago.

Back to the original topic, the Congo Murago. Greg, have they been on lists in the past year or 2, or nothing?
Old 09-18-2014
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleAfricaAquatics.com View Post
Not exactly, if China gets to drill there and one large oil spill happens I wouldnt call that caused by nature. Think of what a oil spill does to a ocean, what do you think it will do to a lake? Its common knowledge they already have specs and are trying to do it there, once that happens watch out. One other thing to consider is Africa is a very poor country. Even though I try to be responsible and get rare fish in the right peoples hands, stop importing fish under stress it doent mean others do. With Africa being such a poor country they are going to deplete their resources, I wish that wasnt the case. What needs to be doen is more protected areas, parks, I was glad to hear the area where the Sumbu comps are collected was expanded with more protection, thats the key. I mean dont get me wrong some will still go in there and ilegally collect, but not the well know exporters. Others things accuring are ive heard of lg numbers of the gobies being killed off from deforstation aroudn the lake. The pulp from the wood, soot and polution knocking out the O2 inthe shallows and lg numbers of gobies washing up dead. In the end we cant control lg scale events, oil, what we can do on our end is be responsible with the fish we keep. One of the biggest things I have been looking forward to for ever is to get my larger place so I cant get back to breeding on a lg scale. I just dont have the space now, but as soon as I do I will be breeding tons of different species.
I really feel that you are right on with this Greg. It makes sense.

If people are going to get them anyhow. We may as well bring some (not continually and I'm not referring to any in particular...) into the US and breed them here...

On a relative note... There are TONS of fish, whales and porpoises all over the world being washed up on shore as well. It's not just over there... The world is crossing a thresh hold of biblical proportions.

There are all kinds of land, air and aquatic animals that are popping up dead over night for now scientific reason around the globe.

but anyway.. That Murago is One Beautiful Tropheus!
Old 09-18-2014
DireWolf

Here is the colony i once had. I was never really into the breeding aspect so they are now in the hands of one of the best Tropheus breeders up here in the great white north.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQBG...eEnXPg&index=3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXFa...GDQixmCkeEnXPg

How do i embed these videos, instead of a link??

Last edited by DireWolf; 09-19-2014 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-18-2014
kyfront33

Keeping: More then I should be

Nice videos. Nice fish.
Old 09-19-2014
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
Here is the colony i once had. I was never really into the breeding aspect so they are now in the hands of one of the best Tropheus breeders up here in the great white north.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQBG...eEnXPg&index=3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXFa...GDQixmCkeEnXPg

How do i embed these videos, instead of a link??
Nice Fish for sure!
Remove the S from HTTPS and delete everything from the & tot he end of the link and it will show up.
Old 09-19-2014
DireWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
Nice Fish for sure!
Remove the S from HTTPS and delete everything from the & tot he end of the link and it will show up.
That seems rather confusing and convoluted, was there not an embed video icon at one point? I think I have embedded video on here before using an icon and not playing with the URL.
Old 09-19-2014
troph56

Keeping: Ilangi - Duboisii Maswa

That's why I mainly use photobucket, it just WORKS !
Ikola
Kasakalawe
Lufubu
Pemba
Katoto
Brichardi Katonga
Kiriza Gold
Petrochromis Red Bulu Point