Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Species & Variants

Notices

Tropheus Species & Variants Discussion of Tropheus Species, Variants & Collection Points... including ID questions.

Old 05-24-2013
rhickman

::Profile::
Keeping: Currently DRY :'(
Default Tropheus Green Murago Healthy At Last

So Ive been to hell and back with these guys but its really been worth it. I almost had to sell them recently but instead I sold a different colony.

I will also be adding an update video to my Dubs later tonight and I want to than k everyone on this forum who participate constantly and have replied to my PMs and threads helping me with the problems and questions I had. I have had less problems and questions recently compared to when I started on here a few years ago. But without this community I dont think Id be having such smoothe sailing as I am now.

Thanks everyone

Last edited by Mastiffman; 05-24-2013 at 10:51 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rhickman For This Useful Post:
MrFlow (05-24-2013)
Old 05-24-2013
MrFlow

Keeping: Pembas, Ikola, Maswa and Kasangas

Very nice bud! Congrats. They look very active and healthy. Thanks for sharing the vid
Isaiah 54:17 NKJV
Old 05-24-2013
CrazyE79

Keeping: WC Red fin Katotos, WC & F1 Ikola and F1 Duboisi Maswa

Very nice Rick!
Old 05-24-2013
TroPhish

Keeping: Tropheus moorii 'Kasnaga' & Tropheus duboisi 'Maswa'

NIce rick! How many you got? I love em!
Old 05-24-2013
rhickman

Thanks guys, Im hoping to get another new lens soon, havent really shot many videos with this camera, starting to get the hang of it.
Old 05-24-2013
rhickman

I believe I have 25-27 lol, I started out with 28, lost 4 or 5, got a few from my buddy with the adults now and now my group is good to go! I know I have 23+ lol, theyre a very nice troph, I cant wait for them to be atleast 3" and really showing their colors nicely. Especially in the 90 gallon I have setup for them

Funny enough, I bought these guys second ( first were my Caramba ) while I was rebuilding after the fire last year. The tank I am cycling is actually their original tank. The tank was an old discus tank from a buddy of mine, in horrible condition. It leaked in the first couple of months, they went to another tank from a friend of mine and it leaked as well.

I ended up stripping the original 90 gallon down, resiliconing it, and setting it back up. Me being OCD about most of my fish things, my silicone wasnt a very nice looking job, so I broke the tank down again and started over. I had also tried different color paints on this tank, only to come to reality and figure out that the color I wanted is the one I have had on every tank for the past 10 years lol. So I resiliconed it, stripped the paint off the back, and once it warmed up a bit, I took it outside and hit it with Muriatic Acid. Best decision Ive made recently! It went from a crappy fish room tank to a very nice 90 gallon tank, that almost looks brand new, I even managed to get the silicone stains off from the previous owners overflow box.

So these fish have gone through a tonne, and they ended up returning to the original tank they started in with me which I find kind of cool. I will post pictures of the tank a little later on, one thing about that tank is that it grows a tonne of algae, Ive switched lights now so Im praying it calms the algae down a bit. If not, it will just keep the Trophs happy.

Do Tropheus like brown algae or only green algae?

Also I was told that Tropheus' heads become round while they are babies/juvies from grazing, sort of like Petros faces developing properly from grazing? Is this theory true regarding the Trophs and their round heads?
Old 05-24-2013
TroPhish

Keeping: Tropheus moorii 'Kasnaga' & Tropheus duboisi 'Maswa'

Did the muriatic acid take off the silicone stains? Was that what did the trick on them?
Old 05-24-2013
rhickman

Muriatic Acid takes off just about everything lol, the silicone stain was 95% gone, and once I painted the back it was gone. What did the trick was Clout, I followed Moganmans instructions on Clouting the fish, and by the third day they were almost dead, I think the medicine is too strong to be carried on for so long. So I ended up only doing 3 doses on them in a 20 gallon tank

Day 1; Clout and Epsom Salt
Day 2; Do nothing
Day 3; Water change, Clout and Epsom salt again
Day 4; Do nothing
Day 5; Water change, Clout and Epsom salt again

By Day 5 I thought I had lost them all, I quickly moved them to their current home which had already been aged and cycled well, and sure enough by the next day they were the healthiest I have ever seen them. I am pretty sure that is Moganmans routine or something along the lines of that. I followed his to the T but I found that about half way through they were almost dead which scared me, but hey they are healthy now. I will never use Metro again. 20 gallon tank with the fish, 81 degree water, Clout and Epsom Salts and Im good to go.

Reason I use a 20 gallon tank, its smaller and uses less medicine. A lot cheaper to Clout a 20-40 gallon tank than a 90-135. Especially with the aggressive routine I used.
Old 05-24-2013
longdrag

Keeping: Dubs, Ilangis, Kirizas, Moliros, Red Rainbows, Red Cheeks, Kalambos

very nice group -thanks for sharing
Old 05-24-2013
moganman

Sorry that treatment didn't work. Good they are healthy now