Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > General Aquaria Forums > General Aquaria

Notices

General Aquaria Discussion for general topics of aquaria.

Old 03-27-2016
crowndroyal

::Profile::
Default Toronto area interested in ordering from LAA

Hello,

Is anyone in the Toronto area interested in doing an order from LAA ?

Greg has some fantastic trophs in and I was wondering if anyone in the Toronto area is experienced enough and trustworthy enough to perhaps be the middleman ( broker ) to receive their fish and have mine checked through to be shipped to Nova Scotia.

I am assuming that since Toronto is going to be the port of entry and that is where my fish will need to pass through customs.

I am not sure if someone is able to be on a list to "claim" them and have them re-shipped or if I can just have them checked in the Halifax airport.

with the new rules as it is somewhat confusing.

if anyone is going to order please let me know and perhaps we can broker a deal so I can get something.
Old 03-28-2016
1oscar

Did you ask mike about shipping to Halifax
Old 03-28-2016
crowndroyal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1oscar View Post
Did you ask mike about shipping to Halifax
Who is Mike ?

Greg as assured me that I wont need anything they will be shipped to Halifax airport and all I will have to do is show the receipt/invoice as he has the import/export papers attached to the box.

so it seems I don' t need a middle man. I am however still looking for someone who wants to go in on the order with me.
Old 03-29-2016
dahling

Keeping: Kasanga, Mpulungu

Chances are likely everything will run smoothly, but sometimes you get an anal customs officer that wants to see all documentation. That happened to me when I received Greg's order a couple of years ago. The other times, they didn't care, they collected duty and rubber stamped the invoice.

That one time my package was sent via Cargo to Vancouver intl Airport where the box was handled by a separate customs broker. They gave me the invoice where I took it to Canada Customs. The officer there went through all my documentation, page by page. I had the latin names and a CAIFA approval list of fish permitted to be imported without a permit. Asked you a bunch of questions, paid my duty and stamped the invoice/waybill so I could take it back to the brokerage office and they gave me my box of fish.

I've brought fish across the border with no issues too, I just made sure that I had documentation to prove that the fish is not a banned species or one that required a permit.

YMMV, procedures may be different in Halifax.
Old 03-30-2016
crowndroyal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahling View Post
Chances are likely everything will run smoothly, but sometimes you get an anal customs officer that wants to see all documentation. That happened to me when I received Greg's order a couple of years ago. The other times, they didn't care, they collected duty and rubber stamped the invoice.

That one time my package was sent via Cargo to Vancouver intl Airport where the box was handled by a separate customs broker. They gave me the invoice where I took it to Canada Customs. The officer there went through all my documentation, page by page. I had the latin names and a CAIFA approval list of fish permitted to be imported without a permit. Asked you a bunch of questions, paid my duty and stamped the invoice/waybill so I could take it back to the brokerage office and they gave me my box of fish.

I've brought fish across the border with no issues too, I just made sure that I had documentation to prove that the fish is not a banned species or one that required a permit.

YMMV, procedures may be different in Halifax.

well this is my problem Greg can not ship directly to Halifax as Halifax has no westjet.

I was going to use the AIRS system and print then copy that and send to Greg etc or just keep it myself.

I am now needing a middle man as Montreal or Toronto are my only options, need a middle man to claim and re-ship to Halifax.

There are no borders with in reasonable distance besides Maine but I then run into the problem of having no passport and US customs not always allowing me over the border because of past mistakes.

I have been in touch with ARGO Brokers and they do , do middle man forwarding of shipments but I am sure the cost is something I will not like.
I just wish he was able to use a different airline.

oh well it will get ironed out somehow.

I am still wondering who Mike is.

Last edited by crowndroyal; 03-30-2016 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-05-2016
piedpiper

you might want to double check. I find it very hard to believe that westjet doesnt fly to halifax.
Old 04-06-2016
LittleAfricaAquatics.com
Trophs.com Owner Sponsor And Admin

Keeping: A lot
Send a message via MSN to LittleAfricaAquatics.com

What you must understand is here in the US Southwest, who I use for most of my air cargo in the US has contracts with WestJet for certain cities and that's how I can easily ship to Canada. They have a list of which are available at southwest.com/cargo.
Old 04-06-2016
1oscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowndroyal View Post
well this is my problem Greg can not ship directly to Halifax as Halifax has no westjet.

I was going to use the AIRS system and print then copy that and send to Greg etc or just keep it myself.

I am now needing a middle man as Montreal or Toronto are my only options, need a middle man to claim and re-ship to Halifax.

There are no borders with in reasonable distance besides Maine but I then run into the problem of having no passport and US customs not always allowing me over the border because of past mistakes.

I have been in touch with ARGO Brokers and they do , do middle man forwarding of shipments but I am sure the cost is something I will not like.
I just wish he was able to use a different airline.

oh well it will get ironed out somehow.

I am still wondering who Mike is.
Mike was typo I meant Greg sorry
Old 05-01-2016
crowndroyal

Well I am still screwed either way, There is not flights to Halifax with the airline Greg uses.

And Montreal is like 12 hours away that just getting there , I cant cross the border.

My only option is a freight forwarder and I am finding out a lot of them do not want to do it , and no local aquaiurm store wants to ship them in for me.

I may be screwed just because I do not live near a border city or at a major port city which is messed up because Halifax is the capital of Atlantic Canada why on earth there is no cargo flights here is beyond me.

If another air line was used like west jet or air canada it can be done but not from Gregs location it has to be organized and done through an airport that has west jet and air canada.

What I thought was something that was going to be simple from what an airline personal told me is turning into an actual nightmare.I have been working day and night just to figure this bull crap out.

It is actually very depressing.