Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Breeding

Notices

Tropheus Breeding Discussion of Tropheus conditioning, breeding, venting/sexing, fry care and rearing.

Old 12-21-2014
sweetTrophs

::Profile::
Keeping: Moliro Red 300 Liter 20pcs 3 to 4 inch/ Bemba 20pcs with Duboisi 8 (2M/5F) 300 Liter
Default Moving the couple into a smaller tank to spawn :(

Dear Experts,

two of my cherry spots were regularly trying to spawn and dancing but the male seem to be spending more time chasing others out then to spawn.

I have now put them in another tank 30 liters only thinking they will continue but since yesterday not doing it... may be they need some time...

My plan was to move them and ones the eggs are full in her mouth i will put the male back but now i think it was a mistake putting them in another tank...

should i give them some time or put them back in...

Thanks
Old 12-21-2014
jucaben

Keeping: Moliro,F1 Chaitika,F1 Kalambo, F1 Ikola, F1 Bulu Point

Tropheus do not form "pairs". A male with spawn with just about any female. I have read some of your other posts and see that your tank is mixed, the one that has the least chance of spawning with anyone else in your tank is the Duboisi but anything can happen. If any of your fish spawn there is a chance it may not just be the ones you are seeing, so when you are not watching that Bulu Point female could be spawning with another male. This is not a definite but it CAN happen. As for removing the fish to a separate tank, I would put them back in the main tank. Tropheus are group fish and if you put just two in a tank by themselves there may be some aggression and one may kill the other. You can wait about 3-4 weeks and then strip the female. Hope this helps.
Old 12-21-2014
troph56

Keeping: Ilangi - Duboisii Maswa

I'm in agreement with most of the last statement and I also would not remove the pair because of aggression. Males can turn on females very quickly and it can be brutal. I usually just wait for 2 1/2 to 3 weeks then I will strip, sometimes I may only wait 2 1/2 weeks and remove the holding female to the fry tank and just let her spit. I have not had any problems with either method but to each their own.
Good luck with future spawns !
Ikola
Kasakalawe
Lufubu
Pemba
Katoto
Brichardi Katonga
Kiriza Gold
Petrochromis Red Bulu Point
Old 12-21-2014
jakescichlids

Keeping: F1 Green Muragos, F1 Kiriza, WC Red Rainbows

Hopefully the pair you pulled out don't die when you reintroduce. They will have already formed a new hierarchy and the new comers will have to fight for their lives. Not tying to be a negative nancy but that would not be wise to pull 2 out and then try reintroducing.
Old 12-21-2014
LittleAfricaAquatics.com
Trophs.com Owner Sponsor And Admin

Keeping: A lot
Send a message via MSN to LittleAfricaAquatics.com

Tropheus are a hierarchy fish when you remove them you distrub the whole balance of the group, plus liek mentioned when you move them they arent going to do good as a piar and the bond from spawning can be broke as soon as their moved and the male turn on the female when she doesnt want to spawn. Never distrub a breeding group, the chase it part of it and they will get it right eventually.
Mastiffman (12-21-2014)
Old 12-21-2014
TroPhish

Keeping: Tropheus moorii 'Kasnaga' & Tropheus duboisi 'Maswa'

Don't feed for a day, remove a bunch of rocks from the main tank late in the afternoon, do a big water change that same evening, toss the pair back in during the water change, turn the lights off and let the tank go dark over night and keep the lights off the next day, then add back the rocks after a few days. You should be fine.

Then make sure you don't do that again.
Old 12-22-2014
sweetTrophs

Keeping: Moliro Red 300 Liter 20pcs 3 to 4 inch/ Bemba 20pcs with Duboisi 8 (2M/5F) 300 Liter

I put them both back the female seems fine but the Male ikola and cherry spot same size trying to fight every minute and jaw locking... will this get normal is some time?
Old 12-22-2014
TroPhish

Keeping: Tropheus moorii 'Kasnaga' & Tropheus duboisi 'Maswa'

Did you do what I recommended? Or did you just put them both back in? Did you remove the rocks? Water change? Lights off?
Old 12-22-2014
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetTrophs View Post
I put them both back the female seems fine but the Male ikola and cherry spot same size trying to fight every minute and jaw locking... will this get normal is some time?
This is normal but not the best situation.

At this point, if you don't want to remove all of the décor as it looks like a lot in that tank, you might want to do a larger water change than normal and leave the water low for about 30 minutes or more if you can and then fill the tank back up with some slightly cooler (not cold) than normal water and then cover the tank completely for the day through to the night and uncover the tank right as you are going to bed with all lights off. They might be better in the morning.

The colder water will calm them down by slowing their metabolism a bit and the darkness will not allow them to fight much if they are in complete darkness. So try to cover the tank on all sides and keep it 100% dark. or a good 95%.
Old 12-22-2014
fishdisease

Send a message via Yahoo to fishdisease

Big mistake. Quickly reintroduce fish in the large tank. Otherwise, you risk being beaten to reintroduction.
I don't indicate a fast, or slow decreasing of temperature, even a low. This decreasing, even for a short period, is the "proper" way to produce freshwater ich. Yes, agree with darkness.