Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition

Notices

Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Tropheus diseases, general health, nutrition and water conditions.

Old 07-20-2014
ZeeZee

::Profile::
Sad Black algae?

I think there is some kind of black algae growing in my tank. It started first on my plants and now it seems to be spreading. Is it harmful? What can I do to get rid of it?
Old 07-20-2014
Cichlid Lips

Keeping: Duboisi Maswa, Kasanga Red Rainbow, Moorii Livua, Kiriza, Bula Point, Nkonde

I'd say your phosphates are high, so I would start with some sort of product to help with that.

UV is also a consideration that will help with more than just the algae, but recommend it being on a timer and not run full time.

Pictures would be helpful as well.

Is this a fairly new setup?

What type of substrate are you using? I see a lot of people using all types of sand and some of them are very high in silica which can also cause issues.

CL
Old 07-20-2014
JimA

Keeping: Red Rainbows inda house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cichlid Lips View Post
I'd say your phosphates are high, so I would start with some sort of product to help with that.

UV is also a consideration that will help with more than just the algae, but recommend it being on a timer and not run full time.

Pictures would be helpful as well.

Is this a fairly new setup?

What type of substrate are you using? I see a lot of people using all types of sand and some of them are very high in silica which can also cause issues.

CL
You can also cut back on your lighting to break the so called cycle, might help.
Old 07-20-2014
Razzo

Is it possible it could be a brown (dark brown algae)?

Brown diatoms are very common.
Old 07-20-2014
ZeeZee

It could be brown but it looks blackish. How can I tell the difference. I took out my live plants and cleaned the tank good.
Old 07-20-2014
Razzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeZee View Post
It could be brown but it looks blackish. How can I tell the difference. I took out my live plants and cleaned the tank good.
Here's what "Brown Algae" looks like (really not an algae at all, more of a bacteria - brown diatoms). Keeping silicates at minimum and reducing tank lights can dramatically reduce the growth. Also, Zebra nerrite snails do a wonderful job on most algae including brown diatoms. I'll also paste some pics from a Zebra nerrite test I did some years ago (intentially let a tank get nasty to see what impact the snails could have - results were dramatic).

LOL, after this, I made a deal with my snails: I clean the glass and they clean everything else (by me cleaning the bigger easier glass surfaces, I forced them to clean the harder to get to surfaces). I actually started leaving my lights on more just so they wouldn't run out of their food.

Hope this helps...

Old 07-20-2014
ZeeZee

I'll have to take pics but it is way darker than that. I think it is black