Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tankmates

Notices

Tropheus Tankmates Discussion of compatible Tropheus tankmates.

Old 08-19-2013
Mastiffman

::Profile::

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeT View Post
Cool Trio! I had 2 pairs of the black congo in a 90g with other tangs. The Dom male in the pic ended up with 2 females, and the other Male was pushed away. The females did fought for the dom male to breed, what saved them was the 3 large spiral conch i had for them. I had monthly frys from both, the dom was a pimp lol.
Thanks and yes they are cool. Wish the other female didn't get evicted but at least these two are productive will probably give me more fry than I can sell. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon View Post
I swore I'd never get any calvus again after raising a few broods, but seeing those pics makes me want to get some again!! They look great!!

I love the look of a huge male calvus!!
Yeah, they are cool looking indeed. That male is now about 4.5-5". Really add to any tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman View Post
I've got about 11 different Calvus and Comps in my tank and love all of them.From gold heads to ink fin to white. Very interesting fish.Mine are actually eating seaweed from my hand.

WOW, nice. I have a Goldhead female that I was considering getting a Male for... And another female but I'm totally sure what she is.

She's got the looks of a Calvus but with a light tan look and gets a black face when she gets fired up.

I could take a photo and post it if someone might be able to help out Identifying her...
Old 08-19-2013
LakeT

Lets see the pic mastiff...One of us might know..
Old 08-19-2013
rhickman

Keeping: Currently DRY :'(

Calvus are amazing tangs. Always had a hard time with my water changes for some reason. Do yours ever sit on the bottom with their mouths wide open looking stressed after a water change? Or does this only happen to mine? No matter how big my water change I've never had goodluck with them except for 3 or 4 pairs that I had for a limited amount of time.
Old 08-19-2013
Jeffish

Keeping: Sp Red Moliro, F1 Illangi

I have a white Calvus (@ 2 inch) in my 46 bowfront planted rainbow tank. He's very cool! a friend of mine(big fish guy) told me to put it in with my rainbows. I was skeptical at first but its been a great addition to that tank.
Old 08-20-2013
LakeT

Comps & Calvus In my experience are very sensitive to water changes, i had the same issue at first so i started doing partial water changes to reduce the level of stress, and let the clean water run in the tank at slow rate. Petricolas also seem to have the same issue IMO. Here's a pic of my Show male Mwela that i had in the past...In this hobby you must have another Tang species in the house, this lake has the Real Deal!

Old 08-20-2013
TroPhish

Keeping: Tropheus moorii 'Kasnaga' & Tropheus duboisi 'Maswa'

Comps and calvus are both super sensitive to changes in water parameters.

Fry or even more so.

However, just like anything...they can be condidtioned to larger water changes.

Maybe not as huge as tropheus.

But Iv raised some calvus in some of my sumps that were on troph tanks and they would just get the same huge 50-70 % ish water changes that the trophs got.

They did well and thrived. They grew like weeds for calvus really.

They did do a little flopping around after the big water changes. But after a few successes... I would never even check on them...I just knew they would be fine.

No one can tell me that fish don't love low nitrate water.

Its just how you condidtion them to transistions that matters...

and yes...lots of small frequent changes would certainly lesson the "bumps" if seeing them all flopping around just wigged you out.

Anyway...the ones I had, I just treated pretty rough cause I guessed my way years ago into their care.

If I were to get a fresh set of imported wilds fresh from the lake...Id play by the rules and then some. Maybe aged water as well as small changes?

At least until I had felt them out over time.
Old 08-20-2013
TroPhish

Keeping: Tropheus moorii 'Kasnaga' & Tropheus duboisi 'Maswa'

And when you say petricolas? do you mean cat fish?

Cause those suckers just get what they get and count their lucky stars around these parts!

I have no clue as to how many I have, what they eat, what tanks their in lol...they just get what ever the trophs get and that mean they get monstor abrupt water chnges
Old 08-20-2013
LakeT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroPhish View Post
And when you say petricolas? do you mean cat fish?

Cause those suckers just get what they get and count their lucky stars around these parts!

I have no clue as to how many I have, what they eat, what tanks their in lol...they just get what ever the trophs get and that mean they get monstor abrupt water chnges
Yes the cats, Synodontis petricola. I keep mines well fed lol

I currently have a crazy breeding group of cats that breed like rabbits. I had them in the past and had great success, so i'm back even stronger. I lost my old breeding group due to hight temp a couple summers ago. Now i need more tanks for grow out lol.
Old 08-20-2013
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeT View Post
Comps & Calvus In my experience are very sensitive to water changes, i had the same issue at first so i started doing partial water changes to reduce the level of stress, and let the clean water run in the tank at slow rate. Petricolas also seem to have the same issue IMO. Here's a pic of my Show male Mwela that i had in the past...In this hobby you must have another Tang species in the house, this lake has the Real Deal!

It looks like this but less of a yellow tint. More light tan colored.

Old 08-21-2013
LakeT

Looks like a hybrid.I never seen one like this before...Where did these come from ?
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
darthvader4bwu (04-04-2015)