Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Talk

Notices

Tropheus Talk Discussion of Tropheus in general.

Old 07-07-2013
MrFlow

::Profile::
Keeping: Pembas, Ikola, Maswa and Kasangas
Default What would YOU do?

Hey guys my family and I are strongly considering relocating to Florida for career purposes. This would happen sometime in the late fall. I'm very curious about what you would do with your fish. Would you find them good homes and start over in the new state? Or would you bring the fish with you? I would be driving from Rhode Island to Central Florida. Ive traveled 4hra with fish in totes with air stones but this would easily be over 30hrs. This is still very early stage of planning my move but I'd like to be ready when the time comes. Lets discuss guys.
Isaiah 54:17 NKJV
Old 07-07-2013
GMfrontosa
Site Advisor

Keeping: Nothing at this time

I'll tell u what ... Im currently stationed here at Ft Irwin, CA and for now i have no idea where the army is gonna send me next, but I only have 2 yrs left before I retire. Im retiring in FL as well and my plan is to take my fish with me...I thought about selling the fish when i leave but just the thought of having the fish for a long time and caring for them, i just cant see to do that and start over again. Hey but its your decision, i know u still have time to think about it. Either desicion u choose i hope its the right one you! G/L!!

Last edited by GMfrontosa; 07-07-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-07-2013
rrraptor

Keeping: Tropheus D. Maswa, Tropheus Kasanga RR's,

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlow View Post
Hey guys my family and I are strongly considering relocating to Florida for career purposes. This would happen sometime in the late fall. I'm very curious about what you would do with your fish. Would you find them good homes and start over in the new state? Or would you bring the fish with you? I would be driving from Rhode Island to Central Florida. Ive traveled 4hra with fish in totes with air stones but this would easily be over 30hrs. This is still very early stage of planning my move but I'd like to be ready when the time comes. Lets discuss guys.
When I moved to florida over 25yrs ago, I took all my fish with me. I did it in an odd way I guess. I bought some plastic garbage cans with lids and wheels and had them in the trailer I was pulling, I was able to take most of the tank water with me too. I drove non-stop to Tampa in under 20hrs. Did not lose any fish and all were back to breeding within week.

3-WC White Calvus (trio)
21-F1 Tropheus RR Sub-adults
19-F1 Tropheus Maswas Sub-adults
1-55gl full of F1 white Calvus juveniles
7-Cyathopharynx Foai Sibwesa
Old 07-07-2013
ExReefer

I would start over.
Old 07-07-2013
timber317

Here's what I would do seeing that you have some time. 1st off are you wanting to upgrade any of your tanks? If so now's the time. Have them up and running before you move. If not and this works either way, find a local fish store or awesome friend who can keep your fish for about a week. You have plenty of time now so start that search now and narrow it down to the candidate who best fits that need and who can also bag and ship your fish via Delta airlines. Move, put your tanks back together and get your water back to running. If you get the oppurtunity check the water where you are moving to for parameters in hardness and other levels so you can match conditions as close as possible from where you are moving from. Over time you can balance them over to the local water conditions if you do it slowly. Fly your fish to you and have fun!
Old 07-07-2013
dww-law

Start over. Moving is very stressful. Don't add to the stress by trying to keep fish alive.
Old 07-07-2013
rhickman

Keeping: Currently DRY :'(

I recently moved, and trying to keep the fish in good health while moving everything else was the worst thing ever! There was enough stress in the first place as Don mentioned.

I have 7 tanks going, some of the fish were quite touchy ( calvus, cyps ) and then obviously my Trophs as well. It was only an hour drive to my new house, but it still wasnt something I want to do again. I know when I move again next year, I plan on selling off my groups and possibly replacing all of my tanks, depending on condition. I recently started buying all brand new tanks and replacing the ones that I had bought used, so when moving that would be a good time to replace em for sure.

Good luck in whatever you do, if you do have a friend that can house them for you, I would suggest more than a week, I would say closer to three weeks, your move will take x number of days and then there are things you need to do before the tanks are setup Im sure.
Old 07-07-2013
TroPhish

Keeping: Tropheus moorii 'Kasnaga' & Tropheus duboisi 'Maswa'

yeah..might be best to start over depending on your situation.

Depends on if you have any hard core fish buds that can ship and have fish rooms.

I plan to move. and I have some stuff that I don't want to loose.

SO I plan to let go of the common stuff and just get more.

And take a colony or two of my rare stuff over to a friends house and then just have him ship them to me.

He has extra tanks and I'll just take over a filter and get them set up with a filter and heater.

and then take my time with the move...and then have him ship me the fish...maybe the filter too.

So I guess im going to ship my fish from myself to myself!
Old 07-07-2013
swk

For a move of that distance, I would probably sell the stock and start over.

About 10 years ago, I moved about 90 miles and moved my wild groups of moops and ndole reds. The fish were all fine, but I was stressed to high hell, even with the help of a few things I used to partake in my younger days....lol...
Old 07-07-2013
MrFlow

Keeping: Pembas, Ikola, Maswa and Kasangas

Thanks guys sounds like I'll be selling off some stock soon. I was trying to figure out the right thing to do but in all reality with 5 kids were already gonna have a ton of stress to handle. Lugging around totes of live fish would be overkill. Thanks for everyone's input I really appreciate it.
Isaiah 54:17 NKJV