Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Breeding

Notices

Tropheus Breeding Discussion of Tropheus conditioning, breeding, venting/sexing, fry care and rearing.

Old 05-16-2013
jrogo

::Profile::

I want to breed them, which they just started to do. My original plan was to put both the chimba and maswa in the 150 gal and have both spawn, but it seems I may have more problems in the long run.

Would it be best to keep nothing in the tank, as of right now I have no rocks or sponge filters, but was planning to put a few rocks in, but I don't want the Tropheus assassin to show up either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophAddict View Post
I personally do not like mixing variants but ive seen many tanks that have worked. Always remember that there is going to be a dominant and a subdominant group if they coexist in the same tank. SO.. what that means is that your chimba might stop breeding if your dubs are dominant once adult.
Old 05-16-2013
TrophAddict

Keeping: WC Chaitika, WC Nkonde, WC Moba II

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrogo View Post
I want to breed them, which they just started to do. My original plan was to put both the chimba and maswa in the 150 gal and have both spawn, but it seems I may have more problems in the long run.

Would it be best to keep nothing in the tank, as of right now I have no rocks or sponge filters, but was planning to put a few rocks in, but I don't want the Tropheus assassin to show up either.
I would say move the chimba to the 150 now, remove all rocks. Even though chimbas are not the most aggressive of trophs it can still happen. Like Mastiff said most trophs will breed in about any new tank, unless its a 10-30gal tanks lol. Just give it a try and update us with results.
Old 05-16-2013
jrogo

Thanks guys for the info, the dubs are just over an inch so they are far from breeding size and are already in a 75g. I will work on putting the chimba's in the 150g and taking everything out.

Thanks
Joe
Old 05-16-2013
jrogo

ok I can take out the Texas Holy Rock but there is a large pot and a very large strawberry pot that I would have to break in the tank and then take all the pieces out. I had frontosa in there before.

Thanks
Joe
Old 05-16-2013
moorii603

Keeping: Hoping to have a group of each species at some point.

I personally like the look of 2 colonies in 1 tank, assuming they have contrasting colors. However, I agree with most of these guys that, if you are looking to maximize breeding behavior, you should keep them in single species tanks. I moved some of my fish from a 55 to a 75 and they continued to breed. I would think that in a 150 there would be plenty of space for everyone to spawn, since I currently have 2 different colonies in a 75 and they both are breeding with some success. Dubs seem to breed in any tank you put them in, so I would put them in the smaller tank. I have never had a colony of sp. Red, just a small group of moliro in a tang community tank, so I don't know much about breeding them. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Old 05-16-2013
#1 Cichlids
Site Advisor

Keeping: Tangs,Malawi,Haps

Quote:

I forgot to add at the time it was my first group and no internet at the time and new to trophs .Joe donít let my experience put you at a scare.I could of avoided all this being that it was my first group and a number of things I could of done.Your looking good with what was suggested with no rock work.As for your water chemistry as usual water changes weekly donít break that lol.Gl
Old 05-16-2013
Mastiffman

I'm curious as to why people say no rock work? They nomrally spawn by Rocks... They would feel more comfortable I believe.
Old 05-16-2013
TrophAddict

Keeping: WC Chaitika, WC Nkonde, WC Moba II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
I'm curious as to why people say no rock work? They nomrally spawn by Rocks... They would feel more comfortable I believe.
I said no rock work because they need to get acclimate it into their environment. I usually take the rocks out for a week before putting them in, it could be longer as to some variants are more aggressive then others. Like when i had my colony of Ujiji, they were so mean that i didn't had any rocks in the tank for months. If i added any types of rocks that could be claim as territories, a war broke out.
Old 05-16-2013
jrogo

ok I can take out the Texas Holy Rock but there is a large pot and a very large strawberry pot that I would have to break in the tank and then take all the pieces out. I had frontosa in there before.

Thanks
Joe
Old 05-16-2013
#1 Cichlids
Site Advisor

Keeping: Tangs,Malawi,Haps

Quote:

Thanks
Joe
Ok.Take your time as you donít want to break your tank with the large strawberry pot.Gl and keep us posted..