Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Breeding

Notices

Tropheus Breeding Discussion of Tropheus conditioning, breeding, venting/sexing, fry care and rearing.

Old 05-15-2013
jrogo

::Profile::
Default About moving breeders

I have a group of Tropheus Chimba that have spawned in a 75 gal tank. I was going to move them into my 150 gal with some juvie Tropheus Maswa so I could have to groups in the 150 gal. I have the Chimba's in a 75gal right now with nothing at all for caves and everything seems ok no real agreession. Should I move them into the 150 or let them be in the 75g There are about 35 of them from 2-4" Thanks for any advice.

Thanks
Joe
Old 05-15-2013
TrophAddict

Keeping: WC Chaitika, WC Nkonde, WC Moba II

I personally do not like mixing variants but ive seen many tanks that have worked. Always remember that there is going to be a dominant and a subdominant group if they coexist in the same tank. SO.. what that means is that your chimba might stop breeding if your dubs are dominant once adult.
Old 05-15-2013
jrogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophAddict View Post
I personally do not like mixing variants but ive seen many tanks that have worked. Always remember that there is going to be a dominant and a subdominant group if they coexist in the same tank. SO.. what that means is that your chimba might stop breeding if your dubs are dominant once adult.
Ok would you put the chimba in the 150gal or leave them in the 75gal.

Thanks
Joe
Old 05-15-2013
moganman

What is your objective with these fish? If you want to maximize breeding in both groups then you need to keep them separate. If your Chimba group is larger than the maswa, then I would consider moving the Chimba to the 150 and put the Maswa in the 75. If all you care about are aesthetic purposes, then put them together.
Old 05-15-2013
#1 Cichlids
Site Advisor

Keeping: Tangs,Malawi,Haps

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrogo View Post
I have a group of Tropheus Chimba that have spawned in a 75 gal tank. I was going to move them into my 150 gal with some juvie Tropheus Maswa so I could have to groups in the 150 gal. I have the Chimba's in a 75gal right now with nothing at all for caves and everything seems ok no real agreession. Should I move them into the 150 or let them be in the 75g There are about 35 of them from 2-4" Thanks for any advice.

Thanks
Joe
Just sharing a experience when I moved my breeding group of moliro in a 125 from a 75. My thought of more space would be more comfy for them.I was wrong.Little by little one by one the dominate male was going nut's chasing the female's relentlessly.I was like omg and tried to moved them back to the 75 which was too late.One by one down with bloat and the last standing was the dominate male.From this experience I learned the hard way and don't fix what's not broken.Very upsetting experience though.You live and learn..
Old 05-15-2013
jollycichlids

i wouldn't move them if their comfy now, don't mess with it if it ain't broken . You could end up starting up a war that you don't want or the lethal assasin troph might emerge never know.
tanganicodus irascae kigoma
tropheus brichardi Ulwile
tropheus brichardi yungu
lamprologus callipterus kipili
altolamprologus comp sibwesa
Old 05-15-2013
moganman

That's true. Some fish go nuts when they have more space or even when they are moved from what they are used to. Even when you change the scape in the existing tank it sometimes disrupts the hierarchy and the aggression kicks back into high gear.
Old 05-15-2013
electriceelcat
Site Advisor

Keeping: Wild caught chipmunks & wild Nkonde
Send a message via AIM to electriceelcat

I like single variants in 6' or longer tanks, but there is a lot to be said about " if it ain't broke don't fix it".
Old 05-15-2013
TrophAddict

Keeping: WC Chaitika, WC Nkonde, WC Moba II

I would say move the dubs into the 75 and chimba into the 150 with no rocks for at least a month. Then add the rocks
Old 05-16-2013
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrogo View Post

Thanks
Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by electriceelcat View Post
I like single variants in 6' or longer tanks, but there is a lot to be said about " if it ain't broke don't fix it".
You got a point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophAddict View Post
I would say move the dubs into the 75 and chimba into the 150 with no rocks for at least a month. Then add the rocks

I would say this would be the best bet.

but I'll completely forthcoming about all of this. I have moved trophs around a LOT and I have never had any issues wit them not spawning in their new home, Small or Big with the right environment. Weekly water changes are very important as well as aquascaping. There are enless combinations of aquascaping but in the end it really has to do amainly with comfort.

I'm not trying to belittle anyone that has had a different expereince than I but you should be able to make a tropheus colony feel comfortable in any tank with ample space. Consistently Clean water and a proper diet and feeding schedule are really the only things needed for these fish to thrive.

I took my colony of 13 F1 Ikola and moved them from a 110g to a 90 gallon and they Spawned Readily! Then a coupl eof months later took them from that 90gallon to a 60 gallon breeder (4ft x 18" x 16") and they then readily spawned almost faster and more than in the 90 gallon.

Breeder tanks were oringally designed to keep the colony of choice on the same water level and in close proximity to stimulate faster spawning. But, fish should be able to spawn in literally any home aquarium tank size as the lakes that they come from are rediculously immeasureable in comparison to these tanks.

if they spawn in a 60 gallon, they should spawn in a 500 gallon in the right envrionment.

Some say that larger petro won't spawn in anything larger than a 6ft tank. That's like saying that Tropheus won't spawn in anything larger than a 3ft tank, In Comparison!

hoenstly the math doesn't work out well. but what makes the most sense is to, like a few have sugested, put the larger and older colony in the larger tank for now. if combined, the older and larger colony will be the ones spawning at the moment. I have seem many videos and a couple of my own species mixed in together both spawning in the same tank, Ilbeit not always at the same time. but regardless. it's fine.

Just remember NOT to house tropheus together that look similar in coloration. No Matter the Species.

P.S. Sorry for the rant...