Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Breeding

Notices

Tropheus Breeding Discussion of Tropheus conditioning, breeding, venting/sexing, fry care and rearing.

Old 04-29-2013
TroPhish

::Profile::
Keeping: Tropheus moorii 'Kasnaga' & Tropheus duboisi 'Maswa'
Default Ikola group from LAA

I told someone in another thread Id give a little update on this group.
4M/20F WC Ikola from Greg. Thanks Greg. I could flood the market with this group. No joke.

This group is in a 125 with gnarly filtration and circulation. The GPH would scare small children. 2 flower pots and some PVC fittings. The trophs love it.

When I got this group Greg had been doing a lot of shipping so they had been fed sparingly because of being in the tank with others that were being prepared to ship. Nothing odd about it at all and it was fully disclosed. I was cool with it.

I planned to push them a little anyway. In two weeks they were in prime breeding condition. After a month they were breeding but the females swallowed the first round.

A couple weeks ago 5 females spawned within a day of each other.

I recently got done stripping exactly 80 wigglers from the holding females. IM sure Ill lose a few but they look good for the most part. I'll post a few pics of the group and the wigglers in the tumblers later.

When I stripped the first female and she was holding 24 fat wigglers by herself...I knew we were on a role.

Thanks to all the people that have helped respark my interest in the hobby. Its been a lot of fun so far.

Thanks for the nice group, Greg. BTW, Is there a currency exchange rate from Ikola dollars to brichardis dollars?

John
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TroPhish For This Useful Post:
LittleAfricaAquatics.com (04-29-2013), moorii603 (04-29-2013)
Old 04-29-2013
Tropheus26

Keeping: WC RRainbow Kasanga, WC & F1 Ilangi, WC Ikola, WC Nkonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroPhish View Post
I told someone in another thread Id give a little update on this group.
4M/20F WC Ikola from Greg. Thanks Greg. I could flood the market with this group. No joke.

This group is in a 125 with gnarly filtration and circulation. The GPH would scare small children. 2 flower pots and some PVC fittings. The trophs love it.

When I got this group Greg had been doing a lot of shipping so they had been fed sparingly because of being in the tank with others that were being prepared to ship. Nothing odd about it at all and it was fully disclosed. I was cool with it.

I planned to push them a little anyway. In two weeks they were in prime breeding condition. After a month they were breeding but the females swallowed the first round.

A couple weeks ago 5 females spawned within a day of each other.

I recently got done stripping exactly 80 wigglers from the holding females. IM sure Ill lose a few but they look good for the most part. I'll post a few pics of the group and the wigglers in the tumblers later.

When I stripped the first female and she was holding 24 fat wigglers by herself...I knew we were on a role.

Thanks to all the people that have helped respark my interest in the hobby. Its been a lot of fun so far.

Thanks for the nice group, Greg. BTW, Is there a currency exchange rate from Ikola dollars to brichardis dollars?

John
There you go, glad to hear from this group of Ikola & wow that's a lot of fry there in bro I guess they already kicking in in breeding, like rabbits lol..
Old 04-29-2013
MrFlow

Keeping: Pembas, Ikola, Maswa and Kasangas

Wow man congrats!! My group just started producing as well I just stripped the first 2 females and got 24 wigglers. . I'm glad your passion for the fish was reignited. Again congrats!!
Isaiah 54:17 NKJV
Old 04-29-2013
rhickman

Keeping: Currently DRY :'(

Mind blasting numbers!!! Congrats man that is awesome
Old 04-29-2013
bpseoe

Keeping: Kachese, Ikola & Ilangi

Sure is Awesome! looking forward to viewing them pictures. thanks for sharing
Old 04-29-2013
TroPhish

Thanks guys. When I stripped them I told someone " i must have pulled about 50 from the group last night" and then I counted them. I was shocked.

As I stripped them I took pics of the bottom of the bucket each time so I could look at the pics and count them. Thats How I knew the first female held 24.

I cant take much credit for this. I just took suggestions from others on this forum and have made a few friends by PMing people and then moving towards talking about fish on the phone.

Iv found that its all about quality food, water changes, and good starter stock. Really the fish deserve the credit...they did all the work and had all the kinky fun...lol

But what I will give myself credit for is that I am pretty intense with my water changes. And its become very clear to me that even though I use intense filtration and that is all super awesome and all...nothing replaces an aggressive water changing routine. I like to run my tanks aggressively but simply. What I mean by that is no water tinkering...just lots of it. no fifty kinds of foods...just lots of it... and so on with every area of the set ups. I think I keep my tropheus german/texas style lol.

All I know is that its working thus far.

thanks for all the help and for all the kind words.

John
Old 04-29-2013
TroPhish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlow View Post
Wow man congrats!! My group just started producing as well I just stripped the first 2 females and got 24 wigglers. . I'm glad your passion for the fish was reignited. Again congrats!!
Whats the ratio on your group of 30.

Ill tell you that my twenty females would be A LOT of work if they kept rolling like this and I stripped every month. Its almost too much. 80 fry from 5-6 females last night and I have 20 females. So there is no waiting for the females to recover...another set of 5 or 6 just goes right after them.

I would think this group, and depending on how many females you have, could produce near 100 fry per month once really in their prime.
Old 04-30-2013
TroPhish

24 out of one female:

Some tumblers going. I think two of the pics are of the same tumbler but I have three going that look just like this with Ikolas in them.

Old 04-30-2013
LittleAfricaAquatics.com
Trophs.com Owner Sponsor And Admin

Keeping: A lot
Send a message via MSN to LittleAfricaAquatics.com

Told you, you would have more than you knew what to with when I sent you 20 females.
Old 04-30-2013
TroPhish

Are those tumblers too packed?
I just had to make the call and split them up the best I could so its about 25-30 in each one. came out looking ok to me but what do you think?