Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition

Notices

Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Tropheus diseases, general health, nutrition and water conditions.

Old 05-30-2013
swk

::Profile::

I would certainly consider doing this with rare, expensive petros, but seems like more trouble than it's worth for standard issue trophs.

Having said that, thanks for sharing your experience with the community Andrew!

I used to do this quite a bit with a frilled dragon that would go off food from time to time. The first time you do it can be a bit nerve-wracking, but once you get comfortable with the procedure it's very easy to perform
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Mastiffman (06-02-2013)
Old 06-02-2013
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by swk View Post
I would certainly consider doing this with rare, expensive petros, but seems like more trouble than it's worth for standard issue trophs.

Having said that, thanks for sharing your experience with the community Andrew!

I used to do this quite a bit with a frilled dragon that would go off food from time to time. The first time you do it can be a bit nerve-wracking, but once you get comfortable with the procedure it's very easy to perform
I see your point. Just want to save as many as possible. Sometimes can't though.
Old 06-02-2013
moganman

I recently had my alpha male not eat for three weeks. He survived on algae. Then one day he started eating like a pig out of the blue. Some fish are so weird. He wasnt even sick.
Old 06-02-2013
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by moganman View Post
I recently had my alpha male not eat for three weeks. He survived on algae. Then one day he started eating like a pig out of the blue. Some fish are so weird. He wasnt even sick.
Yeah, I think that Ill only use this to flush a constapated fish in the future if need be... picky eaters Ill just let them eat on their own and if they dont, well it is what it is.
Old 06-02-2013
Gene D

Keeping: Namansi I, Kambwimba

I am curious if the force fed fish would ever learn to eat commercially prepared food on their own or if it would always be necessary to force feed?
The Following User Says Thank You to Gene D For This Useful Post:
Mastiffman (06-02-2013)
Old 06-02-2013
moganman

Gene, I think it's just a method to keep the fish alive and to keep it from getting too weak as a result of not eating. I've lost some wild fish not from sickness but for the lack of eating. I think this method would give the fish more time to get accustomed to eating our processed foods. I'm not bold enough to try it yet but it's a good idea.

Last edited by moganman; 06-02-2013 at 01:06 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Mastiffman (06-02-2013)
Old 06-02-2013
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene D View Post
I am curious if the force fed fish would ever learn to eat commercially prepared food on their own or if it would always be necessary to force feed?
Good question. I was thinking that it would be a temp solution. But honestly I think that if they don't eat the food, but graze, and this never changes then there might be a medical reason for it. I'm sure that even fish can get issues like this. Who knows at his point.

Quote:
Gene, I think it's just a method to keep the fish alive and to keep it from getting too weak as a result of not eating. I've lost some wild fish not from sickness but for the lack of eating. I think this method would give the fish more time to get accustomed to eating our processed foods. I'm not bold enough to try it yet but it's a good idea.
I had good hopes for her but figured that once she started to turn pale that she was not going to pull through. Another thing that I experimented with for my new shipment was soaking the Ocean Nutrition: Formula Two pellets that I feed to the petro Trews that I got a week ago.

They would go after the pellets but not hold on to them. but when I put a tiny bit of flake in they would go nuts. Only real textural difference was the pellets being a more firm and bulkier. So I started soaking them in tank water for a 20 minutes and this did the trick. Although the pellets are softer than other pellets because of the moisture in them. they become a bit soggy after soaking and they definitely prefer this. So that will be the good transition for them.
Old 06-02-2013
Gene D

Keeping: Namansi I, Kambwimba

Quote:
I understood it was a stop gap measure. I am curious though what would happen long term with a fish that was kept alive with this method.

I realize that they are not rational thinking beings but their first and most basic instinct is to eat. If they are willing to disregard that instinct now (to the point of starvation) what would convince them to follow it later?
Old 06-02-2013
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene D View Post
I understood it was a stop gap measure. I am curious though what would happen long term with a fish that was kept alive with this method.

I realize that they are not rational thinking beings but their first and most basic instinct is to eat. If they are willing to disregard that instinct now (to the point of starvation) what would convince them to follow it later?
Gene, this is a good point and is my rational thinking why I probably do it again for a slacking eater... Just for meds if need be for one that's not eating or emergencies.