Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition

Notices

Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Tropheus diseases, general health, nutrition and water conditions.

Old 04-13-2013
Mastiffman

::Profile::
Default Administering Mashed Food Via Syringe [AKA: Force Feeding]

Hey everyone.

I just wanted to share another quick video that I made tonight about administering Mashed (thin) high quality food to one of my Wild Caught Kasanga females that was looking a bit weak as she Only wants to eat algae and there is not much in this 180g... This food also has garlic in it which from what I'm gather can also encourage a great appetite. Which I hoping will push her into accepting how she is feed along with the rest of the Colony.

So I recorded myself adminstering her some food through a tube to keep her energy level up until she "Gets the Picture" on how feeding is done in captivity. Don't really like doing but it's better than watching her waste away because of being stubborn.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mastiffman For This Useful Post:
flyingfish848 (04-14-2013), GMfrontosa (04-13-2013), kekmulti (04-21-2013), lvweibu (06-02-2013), nicadmous (04-19-2013)
Old 04-13-2013
moganman

Andrew I need to know your recipe. I'm having the same problem.
Old 04-13-2013
GMfrontosa
Site Advisor

Keeping: Nothing at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
Hey everyone.

I just wanted to share another quick video that I made tonight about administering Mashed (thin) high quality food to one of my Wild Caught Kasanga females that was looking a bit weak as she Only wants to eat algae and there is not much in this 180g... This food also has garlic in it which from what I'm gather can also encourage a great appetite. Which I hoping will push her into accepting how she is feed along with the rest of the Colony.

So I recorded myself adminstering her some food through a tube to keep her energy level up until she "Gets the Picture" on how feeding is done in captivity. Don't really like doing but it's better than watching her waste away because of being stubborn.

another awesome video...
Mastiffman (04-13-2013)
Old 04-13-2013
MrFlow

Keeping: Pembas, Ikola, Maswa and Kasangas

Dude this method will be called the "mastiff method" people will say I had to "mastiff feed" my fish last night or "mastiff medicate" lol. This is awesome stuff
Isaiah 54:17 NKJV
The Following User Says Thank You to MrFlow For This Useful Post:
Mastiffman (04-13-2013)
Old 04-13-2013
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by moganman View Post
Andrew I need to know your recipe. I'm having the same problem.
Sure thing Mogs!

I just took some of the Ocean Nutrition Formula Two Soft Marine Pellets that I feed all of my Africans with and added some of the Solution from the other video. Which is 1tbspn/2cups of "Distilled" water. Or split that in half for less wasting of products. Both Epsom and Distilled water are readily available at local drug stores or supermarkets. I mashed and mixed the food and solution until it was a moderately runny paste. Like Tomato Soup... a Runny type of Creamy! If youre picking up what I'm throwing down...

The Ocean Nutrtion lines as lot of brands do now, have garlic in them to boost immunity and also help to rid the fish of internal parasites along with improving gastrointestinal Health. You can also use a Tiny bit of garlic juice from a jar of minced garlic into the Solution and mash mix or mince garlic itself if it's small enough. It may need to be pureed. Then just suck it up into the syringe without the Extension tube on it. Tip the end up and flick the syringe side to get all fot he bubbles to the top and then push them out. Put the Extension on and push the air out of that.

Like I said in the First video, make sure to try and round the edges of the end of tube off so that it doesn't cut the esophagus or the stomach lining while entering the stomach. Also make sure that you don't push the tube in tofar after it slips into the esophagus to avoid stomach lining damage.

Then just take it slow and CAREFUL as one slip of the hand and you could blow the intestines out of the fish easily. I would only feed about 2 times the circumference of the fishes eyeball at a time. For a Thin fish which will have a shrunken stomach, start with one feeding a day and then move to 2 while continuing feedings on the tank as normal. The Garlic in the Food will do many things for these fish once ingested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlow View Post
Dude this method will be called the "mastiff method" people will say I had to "mastiff feed" my fish last night or "mastiff medicate" lol. This is awesome stuff
Ha! Thanks. But I'm just publically documenting the implementation of others ideas. Just glad to see others getting as excited about it as I am.
Old 04-13-2013
rhickman

Keeping: Currently DRY :'(

Glad to see the article I posted helped ya out! Really cool to see it in full swing! Congratulations.
The Following User Says Thank You to rhickman For This Useful Post:
Mastiffman (04-14-2013)
Old 04-14-2013
Mastiffman

Yes Thank you! I skimmed over it like the day before you posted which I found really interesting. I'm on MFK often as well. well more often lately at least.
Old 04-14-2013
mumin16

Keeping: Kasakalawe fries

Wow... To do this, we have to be master. This pipe can damage internal organs.
Old 04-14-2013
MrFlow

I just "mastiffed" my Kasangas. It was pretty simple to so after watching the video. That 180 degree turn is critical. My fish handled it well don't seem stressed at all. I've been treating them for two weeks with everything from Epsom/metro to medicated foods and lastly clout. They still kept dying off. So if this works ill be the first one to give up on all that other junk. Ill update when I can.
Mastiffman (04-14-2013)
Old 04-14-2013
MrFlow

For anyone that doesn't think before they act. (Like me) here's some advice. I figured I would dump the rest of the solution in my tank, not thinking that I added a little minced garlic water to the mix. Oh mother!! My house smelled soooooo bad lol I just spent 40 min doing a WC and cleaning all my filtration. So do not!! I repeat do not dump your left over med into your tank. The fish are fine but I woke up the entire house with the stench. Lol
Mastiffman (04-14-2013)