Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Trophs.com Marketplace > Buy, Sell & Trade

Notices

Buy, Sell & Trade Post here if you have any aquaria related items or stock that you wish to buy, sell or trade.

Old 12-07-2012
swk

::Profile::

Awesome pics. Could be Chilanga
Old 12-08-2012
jpcreative

Keeping: Red Moliro, Duboisi
Default Ilangi, more info, identification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef View Post
All due respect...

I think you have Tropheus Karilani Dubs and Tropheus Sp. Red .

Maybe you should sell them as such and you may get a buyer.

GL

But I give you credit for posting the pics!

Two times I got burnt by a guy in Queens and another in Yonkers - saying they have Maswa dubs and their dubs looked like yours. I was like....%@$#%@
Lol, Hey Josef, no offense taken. Thanks for compliments man! You are out of NY then I take?

Since you need proof here are T.Dub parental pics

Trust me, the guy I bought them from knows his stuff, I had extensive email contact with him, lol, I am very thorough. If he says they are 'Halembe', they are. I think those parental shots will remove any doubt you have on them.

Now as to the Tropheus Sp. Red thing, I am really not sure. I did manage to get in touch with the now closed shop owner. He got back to me today and said he never heard anything again from the soldier and family members that dropped the fish off prior to deployment. Apparently it appears the original parents were WC's picked up from a trans-shipper. The solider was crazy about Tropheus and I am told they had all but birth certificates. The shop keeper, said he saw pics of the original parents, I emailed him back tonight to see if he still has and or can acquire those.

So I know this is a crazy tale, but I swear it's true, haha. While I can't deny the Sp.Red similarities in some of pics i've seen, I'm sure you know most cichlids and especially Tropheus seem to be great color morphers. Really hard to say but if this guy was so serious about fish, if he's anything like me or you (it would appear for that matter), he would of known for sure what he was buying.

I can say this, I saw the parents of my juvies, whole colony, they did not look like the pics or videos I've seen of Ilangi's since then. But the shop owner said he was having problems with them and they weren't coloring up right and were dying left and right but had somewhat stabilized. They were gorgeous either way, impressive enough to get my wife's encouragement of purchase and she only tolerates my love of fish, lol, so that says something.

Perhaps we will get this mystery solved and or the lucky buyer will unravel the mystery and keep in touch with me.

Damn I love these fish!!
Old 12-08-2012
jpcreative

Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by swk View Post
Thanks man! Chilanga huh? Never heard of them, just looked them up, gorgeous, I wish they were but I really don't think so. Notice the distinct spotting on the anal fin? I don't see that on any of the Chilanga pics.
Old 12-08-2012
rhickman

Keeping: Currently DRY :'(

I'm gonna have to go Moliro as well on the Ilangi, beautiful fish either way.
Old 12-08-2012
electriceelcat
Site Advisor

Keeping: Wild caught chipmunks & wild Nkonde
Send a message via AIM to electriceelcat

These are some great pictures of some great fish! I agree that the fish you are calling ilangi are some sort of sp. red. I wish some keepers of this type of fish would speak up. You are right about trophs changing colors depending upon countless factors.
Good luck with you sale. I hope you can get back into the hobby when you get to your new home.
The Following User Says Thank You to electriceelcat For This Useful Post:
jpcreative (12-09-2012)
Old 12-08-2012
Josef

Dude you've got the right atitude man! You showed proof of the pedigree - those parents are awesome!

Why don't you PM me whereabouts you are located - I may want to take those dubs from you buddy! Oh, yea originally from NY but now I live in NJ

Depends on how far a drive but I'm hoping I can take those dubs from you.
Old 12-08-2012
jpcreative

Quote:
Originally Posted by swk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef View Post
Dude you've got the right atitude man! You showed proof of the pedigree - those parents are awesome!

Why don't you PM me whereabouts you are located - I may want to take those dubs from you buddy! Oh, yea originally from NY but now I live in NJ

Depends on how far a drive but I'm hoping I can take those dubs from you.
Nice, I'm originally an NJ native, who now lives in PA and in the new year will be living in TX! haha
Old 12-08-2012
jpcreative

So apparently I was slightly confused, sp. red species are not separate from red moliro's? Red moliro's are an sp. red species?

Let me pose this question, if these are Red Moliro's, why have they never shown what looks to be a distinct red moliro characteristic, that red patch that extends from where the tail starts to about the lower 3rd section of the body?

I really don't know, anyone know of an identification expert on here who could chime in? Maybe one of you could drop him a line if you do (no pun intended, lol)

I have been reading a little that darker Ilangi's are much more common than the yellow, the yellow are getting hard to find even in the lake supposedly. Perhaps we just see more pics of the so called 'yellow' ilangi because they are more popular amongst viewers. Given the desire for ilangi, I have also been reading that unscrupulous sellers have been mislabeling them, perhaps the soldier got duped and these were mislabeled? I still have a hard time believing that though if this guy was as serious about Tropheus as he is described.
Old 12-08-2012
LanceN34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcreative View Post
I have been reading a little that darker Ilangi's are much more common than the yellow, the yellow are getting hard to find even in the lake supposedly. Perhaps we just see more pics of the so called 'yellow' ilangi because they are more popular amongst viewers. Given the desire for ilangi, I have also been reading that unscrupulous sellers have been mislabeling them, perhaps the soldier got duped and these were mislabeled? I still have a hard time believing that though if this guy was as serious about Tropheus as he is described.
Here are my Ilangi's....They are probably 2-2.5" right now. Excuse my horrible photos in comparison to yours.

and as Fry - when I first got them....
Old 12-08-2012
LanceN34

Tropheus Sp. Red "lupota" is my new guess.

http://trophs.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=116&c=10