Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Breeding

Notices

Tropheus Breeding Discussion of Tropheus conditioning, breeding, venting/sexing, fry care and rearing.

Old 11-01-2012
rhickman

::Profile::
Keeping: Currently DRY :'(
Default Moops... Finally

So, I posted on the forum a few months ago after finally locating some Moops up here in Toronto. They had bloat when I bought them from the guy, I didnt know they were bloated couldnt tell in the bucket I got em in. So I lost 2 fish, and ended up continuing to grow them and nurse them back to health. I would say that maybe 2 were adults and the other 11 were sub adults and still juvies. Well for the last couple of weeks as I do my water changes, my dominant male goes crazy and is shaking with everything that swims by. It appeared I had one holding, then the mouth got smaller, she would still eat, and still shake, so I ignored it. Well, this is where the story gets interesting... Today I did a water change, it has been a few months now and the fish look great. The female who had the small bulge I thought well Ill snag her with the net and check her mouth. As I caught the fish, all of a sudden I had 3 fish in the net instead of 1 !!! Needless to say IM quite happy with my fry and they are nice and big, even though there were only 2 its a good start. My favorite part is that the female that had the fry, was the last fish out of the quarantine tank because she had the most bloat and I thought she was done for sure. I want to thank electriceelcat, because without him I wouldve lost the whole group to bloat.
The Following User Says Thank You to rhickman For This Useful Post:
electriceelcat (11-02-2012)
Old 11-01-2012
pinoy

Keeping: cherry spot,duboisi,mpulungu,Ikola

Congrats
Electriceelcat (Mike) is a very good guy on or off the forum. I asked a lots of questions myself and always there to answer it for me.

(210g) 7ft long
(240g) 8ft long

Check out my tanks and stand build.
HERE...
The Following User Says Thank You to pinoy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2012
Matt

Keeping: Bemba "Orange Flame"

Nice! good to hear you brought them back to health and even better that they are breeding. I read that if they get into the later stages of bloat that it permanently screws them up even if they do survive, but it's good to hear that yours are doing well!

It's also good to know that there is someone (fairly) close by with moops. I really like the look of them, and they're definitely on my hit list for when I have the space.

Btw, who was the guy that sold you bloated fish? That's pretty slimy if he knew about it. Is he a breeder/importer that we should watch out for, or was he just a guy getting rid of some fish?
Old 11-01-2012
new2troph

Keeping: Tropheus, petrochromis, peacocks & haps.

Mike is a great guy and always helpful. I bought my colony of Moops from him and they are really nice. That is why so many people recommended him to be a site advisor. Good luck with your Moops.
90g
Assorted Male Malawi Chiclids
125g
Sp Moshi Mahale
Sp nkonde Fasciolatus Yellow
Sp blue giant petrochromis
The Following User Says Thank You to new2troph For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2012
rhickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Nice! good to hear you brought them back to health and even better that they are breeding. I read that if they get into the later stages of bloat that it permanently screws them up even if they do survive, but it's good to hear that yours are doing well!

It's also good to know that there is someone (fairly) close by with moops. I really like the look of them, and they're definitely on my hit list for when I have the space.

Btw, who was the guy that sold you bloated fish? That's pretty slimy if he knew about it. Is he a breeder/importer that we should watch out for, or was he just a guy getting rid of some fish?
Ya man, where are you located? Ive wanted some Bemba for awhile now too lol, I think hes a little sketchy, Ive only bought from him twice. The first time I bought his Moliro and his Moops and they were both bloated, I was p***ed off. The second time I bought his small Bulu Point trophs and they were awesome. So Im guessing the fish that were bloated were just too stressed from transport. He has a tonne of Trophs, and he does take decent care of em, but I mean he isnt my first choice for quality fish. The ones Ive gotten though Ive managed to "fix" you could say but again it was an uphill battle right. Hes on Kijiji, fish off Kijiji so far havent been too great but I mean Im glad theyre okay.

Mike is definetly an awesome guy, I was almost going to bring his Moop fry up to Canada when I was on the hunt because his fish are just mind blasting, but it just wasnt feesable. But yes Im glad theyre breeding and super happy I managed to save em. Gonna add some pics later on tonight. My camera is low on battery and Im still trying to figure out how to add pics on here.
Old 11-01-2012
moganman

Post the treatment you used for people who may suffer from the same thing. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-01-2012
Matt

Keeping: Bemba "Orange Flame"

Quote:
Originally Posted by moganman View Post
Post the treatment you used for people who may suffer from the same thing. Thanks for sharing.
I second this. It would be good to know for future reference since it seems to have worked well for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhickman View Post
Ya man, where are you located? Ive wanted some Bemba for awhile now too lol, I think hes a little sketchy, Ive only bought from him twice. The first time I bought his Moliro and his Moops and they were both bloated, I was p***ed off. The second time I bought his small Bulu Point trophs and they were awesome. So Im guessing the fish that were bloated were just too stressed from transport. He has a tonne of Trophs, and he does take decent care of em, but I mean he isnt my first choice for quality fish. The ones Ive gotten though Ive managed to "fix" you could say but again it was an uphill battle right. Hes on Kijiji, fish off Kijiji so far havent been too great but I mean Im glad theyre okay.

Mike is definetly an awesome guy, I was almost going to bring his Moop fry up to Canada when I was on the hunt because his fish are just mind blasting, but it just wasnt feesable. But yes Im glad theyre breeding and super happy I managed to save em. Gonna add some pics later on tonight. My camera is low on battery and Im still trying to figure out how to add pics on here.
Right now I'm back and forth between Hamilton and London throughout the year, so I'm not super close, but not unreasonably far... Due to the constant changing of address, my breeding isn't in full swing at the moment, but maybe we can set up a little trade down the road if I get some tank space

looking forward to those pics btw!
Old 11-02-2012
TrophAddict

Keeping: WC Chaitika, WC Nkonde, WC Moba II

glad to hear that the fish are in good care of someone that appreciates them more. Makes me happy to hear story like yours good job and keep it up. Post some pics if you can
Old 11-02-2012
1711FM

Amazing story.....
And congratz for the frys
Old 11-02-2012
rhickman

Thank you everyone, went back to my room about 20 minutes later after the water change. Another female is holding, pretty happy and excited. Really glad I could save the group, thanks again everyone for the nice comments. I can't seem to upload the pics to the website so I'm going to make a Photobucket to share my pics.
The Following User Says Thank You to rhickman For This Useful Post:
TrophAddict (11-02-2012)