Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tanks & Equipment

Notices

Tropheus Tanks & Equipment Discussion of tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 07-25-2012
chevyguy9870

::Profile::
Keeping: purple lufubu, ndole bay
Default moving trophs

i bought a house and ill be moving. its about a 30 minute drive from one house to another. now my question is im going from a 75 to a 125 whats a good way to transport 28 trohpeus that range from 2.5-3 inches without stressing them out and getting them safely into their new home.
Old 07-25-2012
damba

Keeping: dubosi masawa ~ moori kasakalwe ~ moori lufubu ~ moori firecracker ~ sp black bemba

I use large snap top buckets which hold 5 litres. This way the fish seem less stressed than bags. Also fast them for a couple of days prior to moving so they dont polute the water too much.

www.dambacichlids.com

TROPHEUS DUBOSI MASAWA TB = SP BLACK BEMBA TB = MOORI KASAKALWE F1 = MOORI FIRECRACKER TB = MOORI LUFUBU F1 = TROPHEUS MOORI ILANGI
PETROCHROMIS SP KASUMBE HALEMBE = POLYODON CHINGA = SP TEXAS BULU POINT = TREWAVASSAE = FAMULA SANGALA = FAMULA TEMBWE = TRICOLOUR MVUNA = BULU POINT RED
Old 07-25-2012
chevyguy9870

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
I use large snap top buckets which hold 5 litres. This way the fish seem less stressed than bags. Also fast them for a couple of days prior to moving so they dont polute the water too much.

should i split them up into two buckets or just put all of them into one bucket as they are all going into the same tank.
Old 07-25-2012
darthvader4bwu

Keeping: 1 WC Trewvasae Male 14 F1 Petrochromis Trewvasae 14 F1 Moshi 12 Petrochromis Macro Nsumbu

IMO It's best to use two buckets.
Old 07-25-2012
new2troph

Keeping: Tropheus, petrochromis, peacocks & haps.

I agree with damba, snap top bucket or one large rubbermaid tote. Use the water from the tank and put in some ammo lock. They should travel well with no problems. Good luck.
90g
Assorted Male Malawi Chiclids
125g
Sp Moshi Mahale
Sp nkonde Fasciolatus Yellow
Sp blue giant petrochromis
Old 07-26-2012
chevyguy9870

thanks. it will be a couple weeks before i move, i just wanted to ask and make sure i was going to be doing it right. ive had them for about 1.5 years and going good so far.
Old 07-26-2012
SunnyHouTX

For 28 fish of that size, I'd recommend at least two 5gal buckets with snap-on lids. If they're only going to be in the buckets for 30 minutes, adding anything else won't be needed. Anything more than that, I'd get a couple of cheap battery operated air pumps (like this)to aerate the water and add about 2 drops of Seachem Prime per bucket filled halfway with tank water to help neutralize ammonia, nitrates and nitrites. Drill a little hole in the lid to put the airline through so you can snap the lid closed all the way.

I've done this plenty of times driving fish across Houston which takes about an hour each way sometimes and have no problems.

Good luck with the move.
Old 07-26-2012
supadave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyHouTX View Post
For 28 fish of that size, I'd recommend at least two 5gal buckets with snap-on lids. If they're only going to be in the buckets for 30 minutes, adding anything else won't be needed. Anything more than that, I'd get a couple of cheap battery operated air pumps (like this)to aerate the water and add about 2 drops of Seachem Prime per bucket filled halfway with tank water to help neutralize ammonia, nitrates and nitrites. Drill a little hole in the lid to put the airline through so you can snap the lid closed all the way.

I've done this plenty of times driving fish across Houston which takes about an hour each way sometimes and have no problems.

Good luck with the move.
+1
Old 07-26-2012
Bigrizo

Keeping: Looking for Musanga

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyHouTX View Post

Good luck with the move.
+1.... I've made longer moves with more fish using a 20 gallon rubber maid. I usually error on the side of caution and run a sponge from my hospital tank on a battery powered pump.
Old 07-26-2012
SunnyHouTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrizo View Post
+1.... I've made longer moves with more fish using a 20 gallon rubber maid. I usually error on the side of caution and run a sponge from my hospital tank on a battery powered pump.
Another great idea! Thank you.