Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Petrochromis & Simochromis Talk

Notices

Petrochromis & Simochromis Talk General discussion of Petrochromis and Simochromis.

Old 06-26-2010
dww-law

::Profile::

Just a quick update on my Red Bulu fry. They are thriving in the main tank and now swim freely among my Ikola's. They are still growing very fast and are showing pink color. There are two distinct colors. About half are pink throughout their whole bodies and have slightly visible bars. The other half has very visible dark bars with some pink and yellow in their bodies. I believe this is the beginning of being able to tell between male and female, although I am unsure which is which.
Don
Old 08-03-2010
dww-law

Another update in the Red Bulu's. I have some now that are close to 4 inches. All are at least 3.5. I am starting to be able to tell the males from the females. I can now see the mask on the face of a few. Several others have told me this is the first distinguishing characteristics of the males. Based on this, it appears out of the 14, I have 4 definite males. The Petro's no longer hang back from my Ikola's at feeding time. As we say in Texas Hold Em, they are all in and fight for their place in the food chain. They don't go toe to toe in a direct confrontation with the Ikola's but is clear they no longer fear them. Breeding among the Ikola's is still very prolific. So much so that I have more fry than I can sell. The tank is in very much harmony since I reduced the Ikola male population to 5 from 12. Ron at Pet Kingdom now has my extra Ikola males swimming in the tank. They are huge compared to some of their trophs. I have noticed that the price of ALL Tang fish is dropping rapidly. This is a good thing for people in the hobby.

Anyway, by this time next year I suspect my Red Bulu's will take over the tank from the Ikola's. Not by aggression (The ikola's seem much more aggressive) but rather sheer size.
Old 08-03-2010
JkdJedi

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dww-law @ Aug 3 2010, 07:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
Another update in the Red Bulu's. I have some now that are close to 4 inches. All are at least 3.5. I am starting to be able to tell the males from the females. I can now see the mask on the face of a few. Several others have told me this is the first distinguishing characteristics of the males. Based on this, it appears out of the 14, I have 4 definite males. The Petro's no longer hang back from my Ikola's at feeding time. As we say in Texas Hold Em, they are all in and fight for their place in the food chain. They don't go toe to toe in a direct confrontation with the Ikola's but is clear they no longer fear them. Breeding among the Ikola's is still very prolific. So much so that I have more fry than I can sell. The tank is in very much harmony since I reduced the Ikola male population to 5 from 12. Ron at Pet Kingdom now has my extra Ikola males swimming in the tank. They are huge compared to some of their trophs. I have noticed that the price of ALL Tang fish is dropping rapidly. This is a good thing for people in the hobby.

Anyway, by this time next year I suspect my Red Bulu's will take over the tank from the Ikola's. Not by aggression (The ikola's seem much more aggressive) but rather sheer size.[/b]
Pet Kingdom in San Bernadino?
Old 08-04-2010
dww-law

Negative. Pet Kingdom in San Diego on Sports Areana Blvd.
Old 08-27-2010
dww-law

Update of my Red Bulu's
My Red Petro Bulu's are now as big as my tropheus. The males now have a very distinct mask that you can see in the photographs (It appears I have 6 males and 8 females based on the mask color). They no longer stay away from the Tropheus at feeding time. They will actively compete for the food and hold their own against the trophs. Here are a few shots taken with my crappy point and shoot camera. The trophs and Petros are pretty dark due to the fact I just turned the light on and woke them up:

Old 08-28-2010
1oscar

WOW they start showing color early sweet!!!!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dww-law @ Aug 27 2010, 06:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
Update of my Red Bulu's
My Red Petro Bulu's are now as big as my tropheus. The males now have a very distinct mask that you can see in the photographs (It appears I have 6 males and 8 females based on the mask color). They no longer stay away from the Tropheus at feeding time. They will actively compete for the food and hold their own against the trophs. Here are a few shots taken with my crappy point and shoot camera. The trophs and Petros are pretty dark due to the fact I just turned the light on and woke them up:

[/b]
Old 08-28-2010
geost

Looking good Don! Great size on them. Are they eating from your hands yet?
Old 08-29-2010
dww-law

They do eat from my hands. So do the trophs.
Old 08-29-2010
billansor

Send a message via Yahoo to billansor

As always Don

BEAUTIFUL

Neat thing you have going on there.. When will you be getting some other reds to complement your genetic diversity like you did with your ikolas??

Bill
Old 08-29-2010
dww-law

I am going to try to get a WC male on the next imports. They are quickly becoming my favorite fish.