Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tanks & Equipment

Notices

Tropheus Tanks & Equipment Discussion of tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 02-07-2010
JkdJedi

::Profile::

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rift_Lakes_Rule @ Feb 6 2010, 11:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
I'm just not sure that adding fish to a tank that gets a dose of 1-2 ppm ammonia daily will be productive enough to justify putting fish in that environment... :Thinking:[/b]
When will your RR come in and can I ask from who? Will you post some pics? We have a lot of experienced hobbyist here so if you run to any hiccups feel free to be opened minded about any advice given here.
Old 02-07-2010
Rift_Lakes_Rule

The shipment is up in the air now, within the next 2 weeks most likely. The scheduled shipment had to be postponed due to the blizzard that hit us Friday. This is actually my 2nd acct here, I've been on this site reading for quite a while, believe I joined in late 08 or early 09 the first time. My password was stored in Norton and it expired so it wasn't automatically entering my info anymore. I tried manually but the usual passwords I tried didn't work. I had also changed my ISP so the email address I had signed up with didn't exist anymore because I never changed it on here, so I couldn't get a password emailed to me so I created another acct. I know the members here real well actually. You guys just don't know me as I haven't had anything to post but I've spent more time studying on this site than most would believe. I'm definitely open minded, the only way to learn is to listen. I learned a long time ago that fish don't do well in any concentrations of ammonia, therefore adding fish to a tank that I'm manually adding pure ammonia to at lethal levels to most fish isn't anything I'm going to be doing. Here's my thinking... if these fish can produce more than the 1-2ppm of ammonia in 75 gallons of water in one day, what would the concentration be in a fish bag with only a couple gallons of water after being transported for 12 hrs? If they were producing that much ammonia, it seems to me that they wouldn't make it more than a couple hours in a fish bag, wether they've been fasted for a couple days or not. I'm confident my tank is processing ammonia/nitrites at a rate that the fish won't be able to provide. I was actually expecting to hear "get a bigger tank" as it's been the trend for several years with all species of fish. Wasn't expecting to hear "stir the sand" or "add fish to a fishless cycle"... but it's all good.

Oh yeah, the fish are coming from one of the site sponsors. This will make the 3rd site sponsor here that I've bought fish from, and I already know from our communications that it will be my 3rd great experience with the sponsors of this site
Old 02-07-2010
JkdJedi

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rift_Lakes_Rule @ Feb 7 2010, 01:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
The shipment is up in the air now, within the next 2 weeks most likely. The scheduled shipment had to be postponed due to the blizzard that hit us Friday. This is actually my 2nd acct here, I've been on this site reading for quite a while, believe I joined in late 08 or early 09 the first time. My password was stored in Norton and it expired so it wasn't automatically entering my info anymore. I tried manually but the usual passwords I tried didn't work. I had also changed my ISP so the email address I had signed up with didn't exist anymore because I never changed it on here, so I couldn't get a password emailed to me so I created another acct. I know the members here real well actually. You guys just don't know me as I haven't had anything to post but I've spent more time studying on this site than most would believe. I'm definitely open minded, the only way to learn is to listen. I learned a long time ago that fish don't do well in any concentrations of ammonia, therefore adding fish to a tank that I'm manually adding pure ammonia to at lethal levels to most fish isn't anything I'm going to be doing. Here's my thinking... if these fish can produce more than the 1-2ppm of ammonia in 75 gallons of water in one day, what would the concentration be in a fish bag with only a couple gallons of water after being transported for 12 hrs? If they were producing that much ammonia, it seems to me that they wouldn't make it more than a couple hours in a fish bag, wether they've been fasted for a couple days or not. I'm confident my tank is processing ammonia/nitrites at a rate that the fish won't be able to provide. I was actually expecting to hear "get a bigger tank" as it's been the trend for several years with all species of fish. Wasn't expecting to hear "stir the sand" or "add fish to a fishless cycle"... but it's all good.

Oh yeah, the fish are coming from one of the site sponsors. This will make the 3rd site sponsor here that I've bought fish from, and I already know from our communications that it will be my 3rd great experience with the sponsors of this site [/b]

Can't wait to see your new catch. and Welcome Back!
Old 02-21-2010
mikeyrgray

Ok, as promised... here's some pics. I did NOT do anything to alter these images, I cropped one picture and resized all of them to 800x600, no color enhancements, adjustments or anything else. Pic's were taken with a Kodak EasyShare z1012is in Manual setting, don't remember all the fnumbers and all that. I have a piece of tissue paper taped over the flash. I'm definitely not a photographer, you don't have to bring that to my attention , it's something I accepted many years ago

The fish are doing great, some are a little thin but overall I'm really surprised at how well conditioned they are considering they were imported Dec22nd. I'm tickled with them :wub: They arrived Friday night and were instantly in love with their new home. They were grazing within 30 minutes of being set free. B) (The green algae seemed to have the same effect on them as fresh green grass in the springtime has on our cow's, really passes right thru em)

This was supposed to be a shot of 3 of them grazing on the rock but 1 of them decided to swap sides and ruined it!!! Or, maybe it's just a camera hog :lol:

Just noticed that I'm signed in under my original acct, my Norton program decided to share all my passwords with me the other day so it's back to signing me in automatically. B)

Old 02-28-2010
FJR1300

Looks great! Just my opinion, I would keep the nice looking rocks on both sides from touching the side glass. Easier to clean and less for placed on glass>
Old 02-28-2010
LittleAfricaAquatics.com
Trophs.com Owner Sponsor And Admin

Keeping: A lot
Send a message via MSN to LittleAfricaAquatics.com

looking good, Greg
Old 02-28-2010
Rift_Lakes_Rule

Thanks guys

Greg, I'll have to get you a recent picture of the awesome Fire Fin I got from you... he's a BEAST!!!

So far this set up is working out perfectly, there are enough fish to spread out the aggression which hasn't been bad so far. I still haven't seen one liplocking match yet. The 2 dominant males seem to have a mutual respect for each other. The other fish school together which is an awesome sight. They are already spawning for fun, haven't seen any eggs drop or noticed any holding females but they sure are having fun practicing. Greg, so far you're right... they're not like trying to breed great whites in captivity. The 2 hours we spent on the phone last year was what really got me convinced I was ready to try these guys. Many thanks to everyone that helped me get my ducks in a row, including Greg, Alison, Klaus Steinhaus, Anthony (zebra7/SICichlids), Julie (frybabies) and anyone else I might have forgotten. Not only are you all great friends but you're all very generous when it comes to sharing all your experience. It's folks like you that are the reason this hobby has progressed the way it has