Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tanks & Equipment

Notices

Tropheus Tanks & Equipment Discussion of tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 02-06-2010
Rift_Lakes_Rule

::Profile::

Here's the tank I set up for my Tropheus RR's that will be here in a week or two. They would have been here yesterday if it weren't for the blizzard

It's a 75g, Emp 400, Eheim ProIII 2073. I'm going to add either 2 koralia 1's or 2's... haven't decided which size yet. The Emp has been running on another tank for 6-8 months. The Eheim has been running on a tank for a month, I also put 6 bioballs from an existing set up in the bottom tray along with the Eheim material, then I filled the canister with sponge water from existing sponge filters to help give it a boost of bacteria . KH is 19, GH is 16, PH 8.4-8.6. 300w titanium heater with an external controller. Lighting is a quad T5HO fixture, 2 12,000k tubes, 1 10,000k tube, 1 6500k Ultra Sun tube (these may change as I find more tubes to try). This fixture has a built in timer as well as moonlights. I will set the timer up in this manner, 6500k & 12000k comes on at 10am, at noon the other 12000k and 10000k will kick on, at 8pm the 6500k and 12000k will go off, at 9:45pm the moonlights will come on, at 10pm the 12k and 10k will go off leaving the moonlights on only, till midnight.

Stocking will be 25 WC T. moorii Red Rainbows. 3 definite males, 2 possible males, the rest females. (I'm not looking for this group, it is found and paid for already, just awaiting shipment) I wanted 21 but the importer didn't want to split the group which is understandable so I'm going to try all 25.

Hopefully I covered everything :unsure: ... so here's the pictures of the tank B)

Old 02-06-2010
1oscar

looking good so far!!!
Old 02-06-2010
TFF

Send a message via MSN to TFF

Hi Rift

looks OK, I would stir the sand up a little as you can see a few gas pockets in it. Good luck with the fish, hope all goes well. Take the usual precautions like no lights or food for the 1st 24 hrs and I'm sure all will be fine.
Old 02-06-2010
Rift_Lakes_Rule

Thanks folks

I didn't have anything in the fishroom to sift the sand with at the time. I had just got the tank set up with the lights on and just had to take pictures.

All the proper precautions will be taken. I've got 100g of Metro powder and a bottle of Clout as a last resort on hand. Hopefully I won't need either. I'll obviously be keeping a close eye on them and if I see any signs of "bloat" I'll start a metro treatment. I'm really hopefull that I won't need to.

Little background on me, I've been keeping cichlids since around 2000. I've been interested in Tropheus since about 2002 and have researched them for years. I decided that it was time for me to try my own a couple years ago. I decided I wasn't going to settle for anything other than a good Wild Caught colony. I have passed on many due to size, ratio, and price. My patience has paid off as I'm getting what I would consider a dream colony. This is my first time with Troph's, but it's not my first time dealing with Wild Caught fish from Tanganyika. I'm hopefull that all the time I've spent over the years reading everything I could find on these fish will pay off. I've seen many people over the years rush into trying to keep these fish with terrible results and I've never wanted to fall into that category The biggest factor that has kept me from getting any for the last couple years was the cost... but I can't take it any longer, gotta have some!!! Hopefully I'll be able to keep multiple colonies in the future, I'd love to have a wall in the fishroom dedicated to Tropheus tanks.
Old 02-06-2010
swk

Looks nice to me. You may want to keep an eye out for a larger tank though. Also, I would go at least the koralia 2's. I have 2 k4's on my 5 footer.

You may want to move the rocks away from the glass on the sides. I have found that crap gets trapped in that area quickly. I find much less detrius gets trapped if there is a couple inches between the rocks and the glass.

my 2 cents

Have fun with your new fish!
Old 02-06-2010
billansor

Send a message via Yahoo to billansor

I liked what swk said about bigger tank.

Start checking with Craigslist for a good 6 footer.

Another thing is to make sure you have plenty of water movement aka wavemakers or power heads.

Even tho you have used the various media and filters from other tank, your tank is still not really cycled ideally, however with close monitoring and good water changes you should be fine.

Looks good...

Keep us posted with pictures and keep the questions coming..

Bill
Old 02-06-2010
ddaquaria

Keeping: (KEPT) Kambwimba RR, Murago (Moba II), Mpulungu, Lufubu, Namansi Reef, Red Kachese, Bemba

In the past, I would say 15 to 20 adults per 60 gallons. I now think 15 MAX per 60 gallons. My RRs are aggressive, and I only have about 25 in a 120 and my murago there are 30 in my 120. I've found that these numbers allow me to have an additional 20 to 30 fry without much issue. (BTW, my 120s are 4 footers.

I like the lights, but I don't recommend running all of them everyday. I have a 6 bulb T5HO setup. Daily I use 2 bulbs, and when someone visits or I'm taking photos, or I just want to enjoy them - I cut on all 6 bulbs.
160RR 1/2 cylinder (60"x30"Wx30"H) AGE - Altum Biotope IN PROGRESS
90RR (36"x24"Wx25"H) NEO DSA - Rio Meta Biotope
90RR (36"x24"Wx25"H) NEO DSA - Lake Valencia Biotope
Old 02-06-2010
Rift_Lakes_Rule

We'll see how it goes with the 75g. 6 footers are definitely nice, but are they necessary? I think many people on here use 75's as well as a lot of the breeders that I know. http://trophs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42&st=0 Sure, bigger is always better. If I were to stock a 6 footer, I'd have 30 minimum tho. If this tank doesn't work, I do have a 5ft 100g but I'm hopeful the 75 will work for me as it has for many others, as I have other plans for the 100.

Bill, this tank is processing pure ammonia like a machine. I've fishless cycled tanks since '01 with great results. I'm no stranger to the nitrogen cycle or fishless cycling. I'm pretty confident that it's ready for the bioload that these fish will create and I'll continue feeding the tank until the fish get here... Obviously I'll make sure that ammonia/nitrites are reading 0 when they arrive and nitrates will be as low as possible.
Old 02-07-2010
billansor

Send a message via Yahoo to billansor

You are doing all the right things..... I had a tank cycled for almost a month before I put my fish in (14 Ikola and 12 Red Rainbows) and my gosh the tank spiked from not only the fish excretion but also the food.

Then when I added the Trews into that tank... another big spike..

You might consider adding some fish into the tank during this duration to help a bit more too... Just a thought...

Ordinarily, I would agree with you on the 75, especially if it were juvies or fry but with Wild Caught.. they are used to larger, wide open water spaces. I guess its with that in mind, suggestions for larger tanks are why...

Bill
Old 02-07-2010
Rift_Lakes_Rule

I'm just not sure that adding fish to a tank that gets a dose of 1-2 ppm ammonia daily will be productive enough to justify putting fish in that environment... :Thinking: