Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tankmates

Notices

Tropheus Tankmates Discussion of compatible Tropheus tankmates.

Old 10-24-2008
Mr. Johnson

::Profile::
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Johnson

I recently found a good deal for some f1 paracyprichromis nigripinnis. I'm going to get about 20 of these and want to keep them with my tropheus.

So what do you guys think?

Old 10-25-2008
Bam8301

Send a message via MSN to Bam8301

I've kept them before, but never with Trophs. I would say its a disaster waiting to happen. Not a good choice for tankmates. The Paracyps will get bullied for sure.
Old 10-25-2008
Mr. Johnson

Thanks for the adive.

Do you think cyprichromis would get bullied also?
Old 10-25-2008
blkg35

I had my trophs with my cyprichromis and the trophs leave them alone. The trophs only pick on each other. I even got 2 batches of frys from my cyprichromis when they were in the tank with my troph firecrackers.
Old 10-25-2008
Mr. Johnson

I thought paracyprichromis are a lot like the cyprichromis, why would cyps work and paracyps not work?

Sorry for all the questions. I never kept either of these two sp. so all I know is from what little information I get from reading about them.
Old 10-25-2008
blkg35

I never had paracyps only cyps. But yeah they are pretty much the same. So if it worked for my cyps then I'm guessing it would work with paracyps too. The nigripinnis is a really nice fish, i think it looks alot nicer than my Utinta or Tricolors. I would definitely grab them if you're getting a good deal.
Also, i noticed the cyps spawn better in a 6foot tank rather than a 4foot tank.
Old 10-25-2008
Mr. Johnson

Spawning is not an issue for me. I just want to keep them.

I was sacred to get the paracyps b/c they swim slower than the cyps and like to be around rocks a little more. Male paracyps like to hide in caves while females swim in open water. Plus the paracyps look better in lower lighting. All these reasons makes me want to try the cyps first.

My tank is small as it is so I really don't want another fish taking away room from my trophs and I want to increase my lighting soon so I can get some live plants growing in the tank. Don't know how the paracyps would look under the bright lights.

either way, thanks for the adive. I still have until sunday to pick which one I want so I'll do some more reading.
Old 10-25-2008
Heather

They're cool fish MJ I think you'll enjoy them.

I used to keep my Cyps with my Trophs and it went ok but the Cyps were very nervous about the whole thing, the males never fully colored up and the colony never spawned. I split them up after a few months and now they're spawning machines in their own tank being kept with my Paracyp colony. I believe the Paracyps will be ok with the Trophs, but I'd bet they'd fair the same in terms of color and lack of spawning.... unlike Cyps who are open water fish, Paracyps like to hang out amongst the rocks (I love when they swim upsidedown, it's soo cute)... so they're likely going to be facing the wrath of the Trophs a bit more.

I hope that helps, good luck and post some pics
Old 10-25-2008
noddy

I've allways kept paracyps, they're one of my fav's. I have about 26 in my 210g. They are a lot slower than cyps but for some reason no other fish seem to notice them. I have 72" 96w p.c lighting on my tank and they look great in it. I have had a few deformed fry that I threw in with my trophs and they have grown out from 1" fry to 3 1/2" adults. Occasionaly they get their fins removed during the feeding frenzy but nothing to drastic, the trophs seem to ignore them for the most part. They will spawn up against the side of the tank if they don't feel like using the rocks. You'r biggest problem will be the initial adding of them to a tank full of trophs.
Old 10-25-2008
eklikewhoa

I personally would not in your small tank.

Paracyps are more laid back and in many aspects similar or majestic Zaire Cyhpos....

-Males hold down territory.... the rest huddle through the tank.
-Look best and feel most comfortable in subdued lighting.
-Not good tank mates with Trophs.

I thought you were gonna just keep them till the trophs get big but now that I see you are trying to keep them together indefinitely then I am going to have to say that your tank is too small for the bio-load. Having both groups of fish will definitely cause problems far worst then just a little fin nipping IMO. The restraint in size tank will stunt the growth of both groups, bio-load will be of an issue regardless of filtration since filters only circulate water and not replenish it, the stress of a packed tank might become a problem as well. Just my $0.02 on the matter.

I know you, so my above input is from what I know you are thinking.

I know you want what phong has but you just can't.