Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Breeding

Notices

Tropheus Breeding Discussion of Tropheus conditioning, breeding, venting/sexing, fry care and rearing.

Old 01-09-2015
rufretic

::Profile::
Keeping: Kasanga, Maswa, Ulwile, Bulu point, Moops, Nkonde, Lufubu, Pemba
Default Ikola breeding sooner than planned, couple questions

Ok, so I have some young, or I should say small because I don't know age, Ikola that have started breeding before I had planned. Yay, but it brings me to make a few adjustments I wasn't ready for. Number one issue is they are not in their own perminant home. I have them in a divided 125g. Fish on the other side I'm not concerned with, rr fry, but on the same side with the Ikola I have 6 small red ndole. I have 12 Ikola ranging from 1.5-3" The red ndole are all around 1.5-2" and don't seem to be interfering but I'd like to get them out just in case. I wanted to pick up about 10 more to add so they can start their own colony but have not got them yet. Is aggression going to be an issue with only 6 in their own 75g until I can add to the group? Even the 12 Ikola are on the low side, thats why I had the two groups together. The largest Ikola is the breeding male with a much smaller female, I doubt she'll even hold but she is very responsive so I'd like to act now. She stays in the corner where the fun repeatidly happens and the male chases all others away and then does his thing and then chases so on. Should I leave things be or should I pull the red ndole? I know both situations would not be ideal but I need to work with what I have and work on adding more fish Until then what do you think is the best option?
Old 01-09-2015
fishdisease

Send a message via Yahoo to fishdisease

Even our children often get to mate without a proper preparation of parents or planning...
My advice is to leave the fish alone, to grow if they are younger than one year. Reproductive maturity of Tropheus is reached around one year and a half. The size of fish and your amazement tell me that the fish didn't reach this age. So, you have enough time, up to age of one year and a half, to prepare all the required conditions in order to obtain quality fry. If they insist on breeding, it is ok...obtained fry will be your best "training" in mating Tropheus.
The Following User Says Thank You to fishdisease For This Useful Post:
rufretic (01-10-2015)
Old 01-09-2015
gw12269

Keeping: Polli, Murago, Lufubu

I would take out the divider. Add to the Ndole group. Rehome the red rainbows.
Follow me on twitter @buckslayerwells
The Following User Says Thank You to gw12269 For This Useful Post:
rufretic (01-10-2015)
Old 01-10-2015
rufretic

Keeping: Kasanga, Maswa, Ulwile, Bulu point, Moops, Nkonde, Lufubu, Pemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdisease View Post
Even our children often get to mate without a proper preparation of parents or planning...
My advice is to leave the fish alone, to grow if they are younger than one year. Reproductive maturity of Tropheus is reached around one year and a half. The size of fish and your amazement tell me that the fish didn't reach this age. So, you have enough time, up to age of one year and a half, to prepare all the required conditions in order to obtain quality fry. If they insist on breeding, it is ok...obtained fry will be your best "training" in mating Tropheus.
This might be my best bet, the thing is I have a cycled 75g ready for fish so that's why I figured I should make use of it. I just don't want to seperate the 12 ikola and 6 red Ndole if it is going to cause agression problems with the lower numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gw12269 View Post
I would take out the divider. Add to the Ndole group. Rehome the red rainbows.
This isn't a terrible idea other then the red rainbows will eventually get the 125g to themselves and it really wouldn't solve the issue of having possible cross breeding, that's why I want the red Ndole out. I could always put the 12 ikolas in the 75g but since they are happy enough to be breeding I didn't really want to disturb them too much.