Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Breeding

Notices

Tropheus Breeding Discussion of Tropheus conditioning, breeding, venting/sexing, fry care and rearing.

Old 12-22-2014
Mastiffman

::Profile::

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdisease View Post
Big mistake. Quickly reintroduce fish in the large tank. Otherwise, you risk being beaten to reintroduction.
I don't indicate a fast, or slow decreasing of temperature, even a low. This decreasing, even for a short period, is the "proper" way to produce freshwater ich. Yes, agree with darkness.
I've done it many times and haven't seen ich in over 18 years in any of my tanks.

Although ich being a common issue in tanks it's not in every tank. I think that just a degree or so cooler water is not going to harm anything. It's more so when the temps are raised drastically in a short time that induce an outbreak of an infected tank as cooler water slows the life cycle down, but the heat speeds it up yielding higher production of tomites once established in a cyst on a host.
Old 12-22-2014
fishdisease

Send a message via Yahoo to fishdisease

Hi Andrew,
I waited for your comment . Well, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.
The thermal stress remains one of the best methods of triggering ich. Our Ph.D. students in fish pathology use this method when they want to cause ich. Indeed, the decreasing is a bit higher...at least 3 or 4 Celsius degrees, and sudden. Moreover, of course, Ichthyophthirius multifiliis must be common in tank.
Regarding Tropheus, I noticed over the years that these fish are highly resistant to Ich infection, despite the variation of temperature.
However, as a rule, thermal stress, decreasing of temperature, suddenly, will cause ich.

Calin
The Following User Says Thank You to fishdisease For This Useful Post:
Mastiffman (12-22-2014)
Old 12-22-2014
rrraptor

Keeping: Tropheus D. Maswa, Tropheus Kasanga RR's,

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroPhish View Post
Don't feed for a day, remove a bunch of rocks from the main tank late in the afternoon, do a big water change that same evening, toss the pair back in during the water change, turn the lights off and let the tank go dark over night and keep the lights off the next day, then add back the rocks after a few days. You should be fine.

Then make sure you don't do that again.

I AGREE 100% WITH JOHNS STATEMENT ABOVE. ALSO IF ANYTHING REMOVE THE OTHER MALES. I actually swap males out from my Maswas every other breeding, since I have 3 females that breed at the same time, this allows to mix the genes between males and females..

3-WC White Calvus (trio)
21-F1 Tropheus RR Sub-adults
19-F1 Tropheus Maswas Sub-adults
1-55gl full of F1 white Calvus juveniles
7-Cyathopharynx Foai Sibwesa
Old 12-22-2014
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrraptor View Post
I AGREE 100% WITH JOHNS STATEMENT ABOVE. ALSO IF ANYTHING REMOVE THE OTHER MALES. I actually swap males out from my Maswas every other breeding, since I have 3 females that breed at the same time, this allows to mix the genes between males and females..
Yes. This is normally the best way but the fish have already been reintroduced back into the tank already.... so thats why I figured Id gice an alternate suggestion. Hope it works out for them either way.
Old 12-22-2014
TroPhish

Keeping: Tropheus moorii 'Kasnaga' & Tropheus duboisi 'Maswa'

And how did we get on the topic of temperature fluctuations and ich?

lawda mercy... are we debating the old tried and true water change/remove the rocks trick?

Anyway, I hope the tank calms down for the OP pretty soon.
Old 12-22-2014
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroPhish View Post
And how did we get on the topic of temperature fluctuations and ich?

lawda mercy... are we debating the old tried and true water change/remove the rocks trick?

Anyway, I hope the tank calms down for the OP pretty soon.
LOL- I know. My fault I guess. Being that the fish are already back in the tank, I mentioned that a slight drop in water would help to calm them down a bit on the next partial and that transitioned into ich...

Thanks John for addressing that!

Okay, makes sense to wait for the OP to see what he says is happening now... The OP has all the info he needs for this situation, I'm thinking. Hopefully those feisty little males have calmed down at this point!
Old 12-23-2014
sweetTrophs

Keeping: Moliro Red 300 Liter 20pcs 3 to 4 inch/ Bemba 20pcs with Duboisi 8 (2M/5F) 300 Liter

Yes I did water change decor relocated few big ones, covered it with think blanket 95% dark for a day in night i gave food and after it was done lights off 75% dark. in morning no jaw locking but all three ikola 2 fe n 1 male on the upper corners if they come down bulu chase them all up and to the terror dance n come down... tried to sale my bulu male but every one here wants malawi in UAE hardly 2 or 3 people have trophs may be i do not know them though... i know i have a wrong mix n will not get good colours of ikola unless i have bulu but lets see... hope they get along in some time thanks for the advises it helped