Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Species & Variants

Notices

Tropheus Species & Variants Discussion of Tropheus Species, Variants & Collection Points... including ID questions.

Old 04-02-2014
freude88

::Profile::
Default Need your opinion on Tropheus for Black Background and Black Substrate

Hi everyone... I am new to the forum so forgive me if I posted this in the wrong section Anyways.... I currently have a Mbuna tank with a black substrate and background and lace rock. it really makes their colors pop. I would like to do something similar with a tropheus tank. I was wondering what tropheus you think would really go with that type of aquascaping? I have researched tropheus quite a bit and think I am ready to take the plunge. I just really want a tank that makes a statement.
Old 04-02-2014
supadave

From my personal experience Trophs do not look very good on a black background and black substrate tank . All the black and darkness makes the Trophs look dark and the colors seemed to look dull and dark. I even tried it with Ikola which are an sp. Black species and the results were the same . I would keep the background and switch to a lighter substrate and lighter rocks . When I switched to the lighter substrate and holey rock on my Ikola tank it was like night to day . The yellow was so much brighter and I could actually see the fish better . Before the switch...the fish always seemed to blend into the background and just fade away .
Old 04-02-2014
Mastiffman

Yep, I agree with the above!

Good Advice!

Even just adding half white aragonite to that black will help a lot and them BLast that tank with like 6,000 LUmens of the light of your choice and you'll be in good shape. Even putting SOme White rock in their will look great.
Old 04-02-2014
ExReefer

Let the fish make a statement, not the tank decor. Quality Tropheus will make a big statement.
Old 04-03-2014
freude88

Okay good to know! That being said I like to cover up the back so it hides all of the equipment and can't really afford all the 3D backgrounds (oh they are beautiful!). I don't really like blues for a background. If I painted black and did a light substrate and light rocks would I be good? Suggestions of anything else would be welcome!
Old 04-03-2014
gw12269

Keeping: Polli, Murago, Lufubu

I thought my red rainbows looked just as nice with a black bg as they do with the blue one. I had argonite in both tanks.
Follow me on twitter @buckslayerwells