Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Species & Variants

Notices

Tropheus Species & Variants Discussion of Tropheus Species, Variants & Collection Points... including ID questions.

Old 09-30-2013
TroPhish

::Profile::
Keeping: Tropheus moorii 'Kasnaga' & Tropheus duboisi 'Maswa'

Hypo melanism is our word for it. The opposite would be hyper mealnism. Or just melanistic.

Anyway, here is a link to some better explanations.

Luciestic and all that jazz can also be happening with our fish morphs too.

Different eye colors etc.

Id have to brush up on my genetic skillz to really go much deeper than this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amelanism

BTW, I dont really know for sure the exact mutation that is being expressed. there are sooo many. Different levels. etc It just doesn't look like straight T positive albino.

Albino is commonly a blanket term... But really the subject is deep

Anyway...have fun reading about it.
Old 10-01-2013
Stug

Keeping: mpulungu, kirschflek,ikola

How bout the tropheus as shown by Madame Michele (fishes of Burundi-u tube)? That nature or man produced? Have been thinking of this. Perhaps Trophs.com should have a section for pictures and deeper knowledge base fof these types of troph variants. Cud be political, I admit, but part of spreading knowledge is accepting whats out there. In you tube I have viewed more than a handful of these variants (Turkish origin for example), in Asia, where collectors are often attracted to exotic color variations these mutations or variants are well accepted. Just food for thought gentlemen.... All in the name of education.... Thanks...
Old 10-01-2013
noddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroPhish View Post
The bishops happened genetically just like the development of those bemba sunsets that are being documented on this very forum!....

That's a play by play of how the bishop could have happened.

And not to get tooooo cray cray...but their mutation(albino kippli, red bisop, bemba sunset etc,) dosnt function or express itself the same as golden kiriza.

Kiriza shows varying degrees of yellow and has to be bred over multiple generations for enhancement and increase of that yellow color.

Red bishops and the albinos category of mutants are either off or on. they either show it fully or not at all.

And they too have to be selectively bred..but its not a ramp up and increase type of thing.

Its a been a gene carrier to a carrier and get the two to engage and thus express outwardly.

now that your confused...carry on!
Agree with everything except the bit in bold bud. IMO, those fish are hybrids.
Old 10-01-2013
TROPHS4LIFE

Keeping: Kasanga

What I don't get is why someone wants too take a genetic mutation isolate that then line breed it........it's a mutation

CHAD

Old 10-01-2013
TroPhish

Keeping: Tropheus moorii 'Kasnaga' & Tropheus duboisi 'Maswa'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stug View Post
How bout the tropheus as shown by Madame Michele (fishes of Burundi-u tube)? That nature or man produced? Have been thinking of this. Perhaps Trophs.com should have a section for pictures and deeper knowledge base fof these types of troph variants. Cud be political, I admit, but part of spreading knowledge is accepting whats out there. In you tube I have viewed more than a handful of these variants (Turkish origin for example), in Asia, where collectors are often attracted to exotic color variations these mutations or variants are well accepted. Just food for thought gentlemen.... All in the name of education.... Thanks...
Id like to see thais vid. LInk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noddy View Post
Agree with everything except the bit in bold bud. IMO, those fish are hybrids.
Even if they were hybrid, that has nothing to do with their mutation. On a genetic science level, all it is is two carriers of a receive gene finally meeting and reproducing so that the recessive gene could be outwardly expressed.

So in regards to the morph part ...they are NOT hybrid. And the term is misused.

If they are also, a bemba and a bulu point, they are still NOT interspecific (two different species) hybrids. As they are both species blacks.

Maybe you could call them inter variental hybrids?lol. or interracial?

The rarest of the rarest hybrids are inter genaric... from two diferent genus Get outa here! lol

Anyway, the word hybrid is poorly used in the fish world. Peaple are quick to be like "run for your life...its a hybrid man made fish!!!!!"

When...in fact...it is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROPHS4LIFE View Post
What I don't get is why someone wants too take a genetic mutation isolate that then line breed it........it's a mutation
This is what is happening. isolation of a mutated gene. NOT hybridization.

And I see your point..it is a bit beyond selective breeding of pretty Red Rainbows to pretty ones. That would not be selecting for mutations or flaws.

But this is the captive fish world...

And of course man is going to play god when he can!

John

Ps, What I find to be interesting, is that peopl in the reptile and plants world embrace this kind of genetic exploration. Where in fish..some people are out of control against it.

Anyway...I just like learning about weird stuff. Carry on.
The Following User Says Thank You to TroPhish For This Useful Post:
TROPHS4LIFE (10-01-2013)
Old 10-01-2013
TROPHS4LIFE

Keeping: Kasanga

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroPhish View Post
Id like to see thais vid. LInk?

Even if they were hybrid, that has nothing to do with their mutation. On a genetic science level, all it is is two carriers of a receive gene finally meeting and reproducing so that the recessive gene could be outwardly expressed.

So in regards to the morph part ...they are NOT hybrid. And the term is misused.

If they are also, a bemba and a bulu point, they are still NOT interspecific (two different species) hybrids. As they are both species blacks.

Maybe you could call them inter variental hybrids?lol. or interracial?

The rarest of the rarest hybrids are inter genaric... from two diferent genus Get outa here! lol

Anyway, the word hybrid is poorly used in the fish world. Peaple are quick to be like "run for your life...its a hybrid man made fish!!!!!"

When...in fact...it is not.

This is what is happening. isolation of a mutated gene. NOT hybridization.

And I see your point..it is a bit beyond selective breeding of pretty Red Rainbows to pretty ones. That would not be selecting for mutations or flaws.

But this is the captive fish world...

And of course man is going to play god when he can!

John

Ps, What I find to be interesting, is that peopl in the reptile and plants world embrace this kind of genetic exploration. Where in fish..some people are out of control against it.

Anyway...I just like learning about weird stuff. Carry on.
Your extataly right it's not a hybrid it's a man made fish and IMO the lake is doing a fine job if it wanted them too exist they would but we don't need man getting involved they will just play god as you said

CHAD

Old 10-01-2013
Stug

Default to trophish

the video is in you tube. just search for fishes of Burundi and you ll see a great interview, if im not mistaken she is the daughter of piere brichardi? or grand daughter. in the video there will be short snaps of a tropheus that's yellowish/gold`.... which is a good looking variant, dunno if came from mother nature of its the creation of the fish farm...
Old 10-01-2013
Stug

sorry, guys I am not familiar in attaching images. buy in my facebook I have compiled videos
from you tube of at least 8 different variants/hybrids.. the latest one posted from a foreign country is tropheus albino chimpimbi.... wow.. be my friend in fb if your curious enough..
thanks again...
Old 10-04-2013
Mr. Johnson

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
I thought that it was a Mutation? I could be wrong though...
Mutation than line bred.