Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Aquascaping

Notices

Tropheus Aquascaping Discussion of suitable rocks, substrates, tank decor, layout, etc.

Old 10-23-2011
Neinhorn

::Profile::
Keeping: Lufubu
Default Lighting causing more activity?

I have 17 wc lufubu in a 75g and had them on a marineland led light and most of the fish kept to the left side. On the right side there is one big boss who chases all away except two females he lets hang around. When i come to feed them of course they all go crazy and swim all over. Today i placed a basic strip light with a croalife 50/50 bulb in it over my tank and all of a sudden they're all swimming around. My question is could the led have been too bright or will they eventually go back to most staying on the left side? Any ideas, thought this was interesting
Old 10-26-2011
fishdisease

Send a message via Yahoo to fishdisease

Tropheus are lively, joyful, curious fishes. Any changes in the tank will stimulate their curiosity, their interest. They are living in the lake at depths of less than 3 metres; so, theoretically, they like more light. But, personally, I found that they are more active in less light into the tank. I think that, in few days they will get used to the new light and they will return to old habits
Old 03-02-2013
ExReefer

I know this is old, but with my new wild group, I find them much more active with just the room lights on. I think the bright tank light is stressing them out. Theses are wild fish being put in a glass box. Lots of changes going on for them.

Anyone else notice this with their newly acquired wild caught groups?
Old 03-02-2013
moganman

Less light reduces stress and aggression.
Old 03-02-2013
ExReefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moganman View Post
Less light reduces stress and aggression.
I have not seen that unless the tank is without any light. With dim lighting, I see more activity and more normal behavior in general. Under the bright T5 lighting I used yesterday, the group was clearly stressed. Most of them just hung out near the rocks with very little movement. They also did not eat well. When I turned off the bright lights and just used the room lighting, they transformed into a lively group. I just think WC trophs already have a lot of new stuff to get comfortable with. While they are use to bright sun in the wild, we have to remember that they are in their natural habitat so they are already comfortable.