Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Breeding

Notices

Tropheus Breeding Discussion of Tropheus conditioning, breeding, venting/sexing, fry care and rearing.

Old 09-07-2015
rufretic

::Profile::
Keeping: Kasanga, Maswa, Ulwile, Bulu point, Moops, Nkonde, Lufubu, Pemba
Default Good news :-)

I found one of my kasangas holding today. Only the second time, first girl only had two eggs and only one was fertilized. He's about an inch now and doing well but I was expecting them to keep coming. First one was over a month ago so I was getting a little impatient but the wait was worth it, this girl spit 10 healthy eggs with heads forming. I thought that was pretty good because I've read that kasangas produce low numbers. This group is young too, average of only 2" so I guess I should be gratefull I'm getting any at this point. I am feeling pretty excited so just wanted to share my good news
Old 09-07-2015
TroPhish

Keeping: Tropheus moorii 'Kasnaga' & Tropheus duboisi 'Maswa'

Congrats! That's awesome!
The Following User Says Thank You to TroPhish For This Useful Post:
rufretic (09-07-2015)
Old 09-07-2015
emeraldtroph

Keeping: Kapampa and Lufubu currently, have kept Ikola and Bulu Point

exciting to hear!!
The Following User Says Thank You to emeraldtroph For This Useful Post:
rufretic (09-08-2015)
Old 09-08-2015
Mastiffman

Nice Lou! Good to hear and glad they are starting to spawn for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mastiffman For This Useful Post:
rufretic (09-08-2015)
Old 09-08-2015
rufretic

Well I guess they aren't very good at it yet, 5 of the 10 are clear today so I guess they were not fertilized :-( Hopefully the rest are good. On a good note, I had a maswa holding today and she gave me 16 :-) I just hope a better percentage of them are good, they are like twice the size of the kasanga eggs. This is my first batch of maswa :-)

I'm wondering if I'm getting duds because I'm stripping too early? I would rather wait to strip wigglers but all the other times they've held they swallowed after a day or two so I decided to start stripping as soon as I see them holding. My tumblers work excellent so as long as the eggs are fertilized, is there really a time frame that's too early to strip? I've only lost a couple mbuna eggs in these tumblers out of hundreds but so far I'm only 50% with the tropheus but they go clear the very next day so I think they just are not all fertilized. Once the deed is done do the females ever go back for more, like the next day? Or is it more likely this is all I'd get out of them even if they held full term?
Old 09-08-2015
Mastiffman

Yeah it sounds like you are definitely stripping to early. As long as you wait a good week that will ensure fertilization. I've seen spawning action take place a couple of times after the original event. This has always said to me that they were making sure that they were being as effective as possible.

Interesting about the Maswa eggs. I've always thought that they were a bit smaller than other trophs. Hence why it can be a little more difficult to vent them at a younger age. Are the Maswa older and larger than you Kasanga?
rufretic (09-09-2015)
Old 09-09-2015
rufretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
Yeah it sounds like you are definitely stripping to early. As long as you wait a good week that will ensure fertilization. I've seen spawning action take place a couple of times after the original event. This has always said to me that they were making sure that they were being as effective as possible.

Interesting about the Maswa eggs. I've always thought that they were a bit smaller than other trophs. Hence why it can be a little more difficult to vent them at a younger age. Are the Maswa older and larger than you Kasanga?
Yes, the maswa are much larger like 4-5" I've only added these 10 larger ones to my group of 15 a couple weeks ago. I grew out my original 15 from fry and they are about the same size as the kasangas. They started spawning before I got the new larger ones but had always swallowed. Now the smaller ones stopped but these 10 larger ones have been going at it like crazy. They are still a young group, some still even have spots.

The odd thing about these new ones is the place I got them from could not vent them because they said they had not started spawning yet. They were right, I tried to vent them when I brought them home and they all looked the same. Within a day of being in my tank the females tubes dropped and I could sex them without even taking them out to vent, the tubes were that obvious. Then within a couple days they started spawning for me. The first three times I saw females holding, the next day they had already swallowed. The last time I saw one female spit the eggs out at feeding time and then eat them so I decided to start stripping.

I added these maswa to my group because they were the nicest ones I've seen in person. I don't know why they had not spawned yet at this size. They were actually tearing each other apart at the shop, that might be why I got them for a great deal, I think they were worried they were all going to kill each other and it looked like they might, all torn up fins and non stop chasing. They must like the way I set them up or my water or something because they all healed up and started spawning :-)
Old 09-09-2015
rufretic

Well this turned out to be a big let down :-( I'm down to only one kasanga egg and I'm guessing it's not fertilized either. I guess I'm just going to have to be patient and let them figure things out. I'm wondering if this is why they have been swallowing, the eggs are not getting fertilized so they just swallow after a day or two. Maybe the males just aren't mature enough yet. I did notice the females almost seem like they are pressuring the two dominant males to spawn lol, they keep following them around. The males are interested in the females but don't know what to do other than chase the other males away. I guess time will tell. I'll let the females hold a bit longer next time and hope they don't spit or swallow.

I'm still hopeful for the maswa eggs, 15 still look good. Plus this group looked much better at spawning the times I've witnessed so I think there is a better chance these got fertilized.
Old 09-10-2015
thegoodlife

Keeping: Mpulungu, Halembe, Kiriza Kaiser II

My Mpulungu colony just recently started breeding and so far I only have 2 wigglers in my tumbler...Most of eggs eventually turn clear and dissolve, so I'm assuming that it will take them a little bit more practice...I say let them hold at least long enough so you know the eggs have at least heads and tails...
The Following User Says Thank You to thegoodlife For This Useful Post:
rufretic (09-10-2015)
Old 09-10-2015
Mastiffman

Yeah, if they aren't fertilized you'll start to see them coagulate inside and it will look like a horizontal line that separates a lighter half and darker half.
rufretic (09-10-2015)