Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Talk

Notices

Tropheus Talk Discussion of Tropheus in general.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-08-2014
AfricanDiscus
Status: Offline
Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Plymouth, Indiana
Keeping: None Yet
Posts: 87
Thanks: 11
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Smallest aquarium for juvies to adults?

Basically the title say it all way is the smallest recommended size for a group if tropheus? And how many to start with?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-08-2014
gw12269's Avatar
gw12269
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Parma, OH
Keeping: Polli, Murago, Lufubu
Age: 48
Posts: 882
Thanks: 112
Thanked 104 Times in 95 Posts
Images: 32
Default

I keep a group of 15 Red Ndole in a 55 gallon tank. They were raised from fry in there.
__________________
180g - 6 Polli 14 Green Murago
75g - 11 Lufubu
http://www.youtube.com/user/Phishman2001?feature=watch
Follow me on twitter @buckslayerwells
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-09-2014
AfricanDiscus
Status: Offline
Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Plymouth, Indiana
Keeping: None Yet
Posts: 87
Thanks: 11
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gw12269 View Post
I keep a group of 15 Red Ndole in a 55 gallon tank. They were raised from fry in there.
How many did you start with?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-09-2014
gw12269's Avatar
gw12269
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Parma, OH
Keeping: Polli, Murago, Lufubu
Age: 48
Posts: 882
Thanks: 112
Thanked 104 Times in 95 Posts
Images: 32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanDiscus View Post
How many did you start with?
Sixteen. One died.
__________________
180g - 6 Polli 14 Green Murago
75g - 11 Lufubu
http://www.youtube.com/user/Phishman2001?feature=watch
Follow me on twitter @buckslayerwells
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-09-2014
TroPhish
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Mar 2013
Keeping: Tropheus moorii 'Kasnaga' & Tropheus duboisi 'Maswa'
Posts: 1,876
Thanks: 409
Thanked 359 Times in 262 Posts
Images: 116
Default

Iv bred Tropheus in 36" 40gals. But a 55 gal is better.

75 gal really is a nice size tank for groups up to 30+.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-09-2014
risharv
Status: Offline
Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 78
Thanks: 10
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Images: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroPhish View Post
Iv bred Tropheus in 36" 40gals. But a 55 gal is better.

75 gal really is a nice size tank for groups up to 30+.
30 plus? In a 75 gallon?? Is that not way too many fish? Or you mean 30 -?
__________________
55 gallon - undecided
75 gallon - WC Tropheus Ikola
180 gallon - undecided
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-09-2014
TroPhish
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Mar 2013
Keeping: Tropheus moorii 'Kasnaga' & Tropheus duboisi 'Maswa'
Posts: 1,876
Thanks: 409
Thanked 359 Times in 262 Posts
Images: 116
Default

I wouldn't go many over 30 in a 75. but 20-35ish is just fine.

You just have to be aware of the filtration needs and the water change requirements.

Trophs kinda like to be packed in.

And even though I like sumps etc....A pretty common turn key set up could be a 75/90 gal, a box of 30 trophs in trios, and a FX5 or a 2260/2262 canister.

They could be sold in a set.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-10-2014
AfricanDiscus
Status: Offline
Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Plymouth, Indiana
Keeping: None Yet
Posts: 87
Thanks: 11
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Is ish I could get a 75g but not have the space for another one
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-10-2014
Mastiffman
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Oct 2010
Age: 40
Posts: 4,502
Thanks: 960
Thanked 889 Times in 733 Posts
Images: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanDiscus View Post
Is ish I could get a 75g but not have the space for another one

Ooooh, there's always Space if you build up! lol

As already said, 20-30 in a 75g but you'll need good filtration and at least a good 5 times turnover rate of the Volume of the tank. Definitely want to do two 30% WC's a week or one 75% to keep Nitrates in check.

But Minumum can also depend on the colony. Black Species Tropheus tend to be a bit more aggressive.

I had 13 Adult F1 Ikola (3m/ 10fm) Spawning in a 60g Breeder (4ft) and only had 2 AC70 HOB power filters and 800gph circulation pump on it. I was doing 50%-60% WC's every week and not overfeeding. They did fine for a while. but long term I think that trophs are better off in more water. 4foot 110g tanks are awesome as they have a 4x2 footprint. Less water allow less room for error when it comes to WC's, Feeding and Filter Maintenance..

I think that if you are starting off with fry you'd be good with 10-15 to start. but if you are going to pay for shipping, may as well make it worth it to balance out the total cost. The more fish you have shipped the less the shipping per fish will be and overall cost.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-10-2014
AfricanDiscus
Status: Offline
Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Plymouth, Indiana
Keeping: None Yet
Posts: 87
Thanks: 11
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
Ooooh, there's always Space if you build up! lol

As already said, 20-30 in a 75g but you'll need good filtration and at least a good 5 times turnover rate of the Volume of the tank. Definitely want to do two 30% WC's a week or one 75% to keep Nitrates in check.

But Minumum can also depend on the colony. Black Species Tropheus tend to be a bit more aggressive.

I had 13 Adult F1 Ikola (3m/ 10fm) Spawning in a 60g Breeder (4ft) and only had 2 AC70 HOB power filters and 800gph circulation pump on it. I was doing 50%-60% WC's every week and not overfeeding. They did fine for a while. but long term I think that trophs are better off in more water. 4foot 110g tanks are awesome as they have a 4x2 footprint. Less water allow less room for error when it comes to WC's, Feeding and Filter Maintenance..

I think that if you are starting off with fry you'd be good with 10-15 to start. but if you are going to pay for shipping, may as well make it worth it to balance out the total cost. The more fish you have shipped the less the shipping per fish will be and overall cost.
But if I get a 75 then I have an empty 55 and two 40b to also stock. But maybe I'll look into it
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
adults, aquarium, juvies, smallest

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wtb chipimbi adults murdock314 Buy, Sell & Trade 0 09-13-2011 08:24 PM
mixing adults with juvies Bokmeipai Petrochromis & Simochromis Talk 2 02-01-2011 01:53 AM
WTT frontosa fry/adults for troph juvies or cyp Kitumba males sully1000 Buy, Sell & Trade 0 11-17-2010 12:16 AM
Cyclops for Adults Only? JkdJedi Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition 2 06-28-2010 11:07 AM
Adults with juvies blkhwk Tropheus Tankmates 3 03-25-2009 04:23 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.