Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Talk

Notices

Tropheus Talk Discussion of Tropheus in general.

Old 04-01-2015
oldfish

::Profile::

Is there a known formula for knowing which Tropheus can be mixed without cross breeding?
Old 04-01-2015
dannyt

Keeping: 72 gal bowfront 22 F1 Mpulungu are in da house!!

Troy i understand your concern for sure. In a perfect scenario i would keep single troph species alone. I raised bemba out of the mixed group. My experience was that with a decent number of fish and a good ratio of M to F in both groups they kept to themselves as far as displaying & spawning went. I had 22 dubs and 18 bembas in a 100gal.
I observed most of the spawns that took place in that set-up. The buyers of my fry were aware i had a mixed troph's display and were local in my city of Perth, Australia. I never shipped. No one ever came back with complaints
For Oldfish, transparency is a good principle when selling fry from a mixed tank. I gave all the necessary info, let them see my set-up at the sale then left the decision with the buyer and an agreement to refund if there was evidence of crossing as the fish matured. Pretty easy with dubs & bembas together. Multiple Moorii species is a recipe for disaster
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dannyt For This Useful Post:
Mastiffman (04-02-2015), oldfish (04-01-2015), Troyale (04-02-2015)
Old 04-02-2015
eeztropheus

Keeping: F1 ilangi, F1 bulu point, tank raised duboisi maswa

Haven't donebit myself but I think it would be a cool mix!
Old 04-02-2015
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfish View Post
Is there a known formula for knowing which Tropheus can be mixed without cross breeding?
Typically the "Rule of Fin" is that if you have to keep two variants of Tropheus together, you want to have the highest possibility of contrast as possible between the coloration of the two groups.

So, for instance... Any Sp. Black, Sp. Ikola or Duboisi would typically be able to go with any Moorii, Any Sp. Red, Polli or Brichardi.

You would Not want to put Sp. Red in with something like a RR or Another Darker Red Moorii like Muzi, or Even Lufubu or Katoto.

So it really boils down to not Mixing Variants of the same family as well. That's a big no no...

Personally, I think that cross breeding mainly take places during a specific situation. One where you have two similar looking Tropheus groups together and there is a hyper-dominant male in one group that has limited females and the other group has very submissive males in comparison.

In any case, if you are planning on selling fry out either group, it's safer, less worry and a guaranteed pure production of fry when you keep only one Tropheus variant per tank. Now, if you are going to keep two variants together and you don't plan on selling the fry, as has been stated, it really doesn't matter. Put 10 different variants in the tank if one would like to.

Or, if you need to keep two variants together and plan on selling fry, it's fine up until they start successfully reproducing. So lets say you have one tank and want to get two variants, that is perfectly fine to keep them together in one tank from 1-1.5" until they are roughly 2.75"-3" which is usually when you start to see spawning activity.

But remember, where there's a will, there's a way! If you only had space for one 6ft tank and wanted 2 variants. Get a taller 72" x 18" (135g-150g) footprint or a 72" x 24" (165g-220g) footprint tank and divide it with either egg crate (light defuser) or a piece of plexiglass and silicone it in the middle of tank.

I've heard that there may also be a worry of cross breeding accidently by spreading of the males milt... But Honestly... Your fish tank probably has more a chance of being struck by lightning.

Hope this helps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mastiffman For This Useful Post:
dannyt (04-03-2015), oldfish (04-03-2015)
Old 04-03-2015
oldfish

Point well taken.......One reason why I thought this mix might work was somthing I read in Brichard's book "Cichlids Of Lake Tanganyika". He saids that tropeus orange morph and T dubosi white band cohabitate on a 1km coastline at Benba.
Old 04-03-2015
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfish View Post
Point well taken.......One reason why I thought this mix might work was somthing I read in Brichard's book "Cichlids Of Lake Tanganyika". He saids that tropeus orange morph and T dubosi white band cohabitate on a 1km coastline at Benba.
Also keep in mind that in Stephen Shupke's Book (Aqualog) he mentions that there have been reports of orange striped Duboisi in that region. Usually around April-May.
Old 04-03-2015
oldfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
Also keep in mind that in Stephen Shupke's Book (Aqualog) he mentions that there have been reports of orange striped Duboisi in that region. Usually around April-May.
Do you think from crossing or seasonal diet?
Old 04-03-2015
Mastiffman

To the best of knowledge, diet can't create a pigment. It can only enhance preexisting ones. Kind of like the Flamingo. They have very little pink/ orange pigment to begin with but it is there. So when they consume regular and large amounts of shrimp, this enhances that pigment greatly to be the typical orange/pink coloration.

I don't think that you could take a true white striped Duboisi and feed it a lot of carotenoids and get it's stripe to turn a Pemba Orange coloration. So if it is a true siting I would bet on cross breeding. Which would give support to the wide color variation in the Tropheus species.