Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tanks & Equipment

Notices

Tropheus Tanks & Equipment Discussion of tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 01-26-2014
wharfrat

::Profile::
Keeping: Ikola
Default suggestions for an additional filter

I have 2 xp3's on my 90. There is still a few particles that float here and there...every now and then. I run a micro filtration pad I buy in rolls for the top. I have over a liter of matrix in each one...chemi-pure + 250ml of purigen in each one. 2x30ppi and 2x20ppi in each. I have a koralia evo 1050. I really like silence so I don't know if HOB is an option. Just curious if I should add another filter or no...if it would even help that much more. I guess I am a little perfectionistic lol.
Old 01-26-2014
SunnyHouTX

Adding another filter won't guarantee that you'll never see particles, mainly because filtration is an ongoing process as is metabolic activity of fish. Something I've learned to deal with just so I can have my mind be at peace.
The Following User Says Thank You to SunnyHouTX For This Useful Post:
wharfrat (01-30-2014)
Old 01-26-2014
gmguy496

ive had good luck with marineland hot magnum 250 and just running micron filter in it
The Following User Says Thank You to gmguy496 For This Useful Post:
wharfrat (01-30-2014)
Old 01-26-2014
johnnyblade

Keeping: Tropheus moorii Ikola "Kaiser Yellow"

I also use the Rena XP4's and XP3's,i personally think they work very well but i keep finding excuses to buy more filters! I just picked a Fluval FX5 to add to that. Sometimes it's just us thinking that the water is not clear enough.
The Following User Says Thank You to johnnyblade For This Useful Post:
wharfrat (01-30-2014)
Old 01-26-2014
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharfrat View Post
I have 2 xp3's on my 90. There is still a few particles that float here and there...every now and then. I run a micro filtration pad I buy in rolls for the top. I have over a liter of matrix in each one...chemi-pure + 250ml of purigen in each one. 2x30ppi and 2x20ppi in each. I have a koralia evo 1050. I really like silence so I don't know if HOB is an option. Just curious if I should add another filter or no...if it would even help that much more. I guess I am a little perfectionistic lol.

What you could do is use XP for Mechanical Filtration using Polishing type media in it and use a Maxi1200 to keep particles off of the substrate so they get sucked into the Mechanical Filtration XP. Then use the other one for strictly Bio-Media.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mastiffman For This Useful Post:
wharfrat (01-30-2014)
Old 01-26-2014
Vman

Keeping: Kasanga

Add power heads.Jebao wave makers are good. Koralias vibrate after a while.
Old 01-26-2014
Hungvanvo

Keeping: Red Rainbow, Lufubu, ILangi. Blue Rainbow, Ujiji.

Quote:
No need add another filter you just add one power head with the sponge on the input. the strong power head it will help clean all particles quick ( it will suck all stuff fly around) in one day your tank will clean no particles . Just clean the sponge every two days or you see it dirty.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hungvanvo For This Useful Post:
wharfrat (01-30-2014)
Old 01-28-2014
wharfrat

I used to love Koralia's and had several in my various reefs. The new one I bought for this Troph tank looked the same until I saw the components. The impellar is so much different. I have to tap it when I turn it back on to work ..it is brand new. Very disappointed! The new Marineland Maxijets are pretty much the same quality in my opinion. I have used a few as returns and the impellar shreds overnight. The "old school" greenish blue" marineland pumps are beasts.

Does anybody know of a water pushing pump like a koralia (same look) that is descent as far as quality for my 90g? Tunze, JBJ, etc.?

BTW if anyone living in the LA area wants a free aquaclear 70 powerhead with the filter attachment let me know...if you pick it up it's yours. I only used it for 3 minutes when I first was starting my tank.

One more thing would a single FX5 or FX6 filter better than 2 xp3's...flirting with this idea

Last edited by wharfrat; 01-28-2014 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-28-2014
Mastiffman

Quote:
I used to love Koralia's and had several in my various reefs. The new one I bought for this Troph tank looked the same until I saw the components. The impellar is so much different. I have to tap it when I turn it back on to work ..it is brand new. Very disappointed! The new Marineland Maxijets are pretty much the same quality in my opinion. I have used a few as returns and the impellar shreds overnight. The "old school" greenish blue" marineland pumps are beasts.

Does anybody know of a water pushing pump like a koralia (same look) that is descent as far as quality for my 90g? Tunze, JBJ, etc.?

BTW if anyone living in the LA area wants a free aquaclear 70 powerhead with the filter attachment let me know...if you pick it up it's yours. I only used it for 3 minutes when I first was starting my tank.

One more thing would a single FX5 or FX6 filter better than 2 xp3's...flirting with this idea
I found that popping out the round water defusing bars in the front of the grill and adding a piece of dampening plastic to the inside of the impeller between the magnet and the propeller really changes the game of the performance. it's much quieter and pushes the water a lot better!

http://trophs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25733

still haven't posted pics yet though. But I have them and can if anyone is interested.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mastiffman For This Useful Post:
wharfrat (01-30-2014)
Old 01-28-2014
wharfrat

Well just went out and impulsively bought an fx6 lol...hope I'm not disappointed.