Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tanks & Equipment

Notices

Tropheus Tanks & Equipment Discussion of tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 04-06-2014
gat3keeper

::Profile::
Default Trickle Filter

Anyone using this? Probably the 3 layered design.

How effective is this ?

What are the advantages and disadvantages?
Old 04-06-2014
troph56

Keeping: Ilangi - Duboisii Maswa

I'm a bit curious about these too if anyone has used these please share your information
Ikola
Kasakalawe
Lufubu
Pemba
Katoto
Brichardi Katonga
Kiriza Gold
Petrochromis Red Bulu Point
Old 04-06-2014
gat3keeper

How effective are they compare to sumps?
Old 07-19-2014
Cichlid Lips

Keeping: Duboisi Maswa, Kasanga Red Rainbow, Moorii Livua, Kiriza, Bula Point, Nkonde

A rather old topic, but I see no one weighed in so thought I would. I have built one of these in to my new system and I use it for most of the biological activity.

I have used them in the past with great success on several systems.

One of the advantages is once the system is seeded, it's virtually maintenance free outside of changing your filter pads. As long as those are maintained, there's really nothing to ever do and your tank will always have biological filtering. I am using bio balls with mine. I also plan to add some ceramic as time goes on.

I'd venture to guess if I could measure the amount of oxygen coming from this, over a canister I would think these offer a great deal more from all of the water movement through the air.

With my setup, I am using it in conjunction with an FX6 [both separate from one another] and my thinking is rather to ever have to worry about biological filtering with the FX6, I can use it more as a water polishing device and add in different medias as time goes on and/or the need arises. I know for sure the phosphate in my city water is very high, so that has been addressed in the canister, which can be done in a trickle or wet/dry setup but is not nearly as effective has having it in a reactor or canister filter. I suppose that could be deemed a disadvantage, but there are ways around it if one were using it with some media reactors which I also do.

Another advantage is simply the cost to run one. Once it is set up, only cost is the pads which are pretty cheap in comparison to a pre made insert the canisters use.

Last advantage that comes to mind right now is water volume. In comparison, I believe the FX6 holds around 3 gallons or so by the time you add media and what not. My trickle system allows me to add an additional about 50 gallons of water to the mix and we all know the more water the more stable and less chances there are to sudden change.

Not sure if you guys had any specific questions or concerns, but for me I wouldn't own a large system without one.

Pics later if there is interest.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cichlid Lips For This Useful Post:
dannyt (07-19-2014)
Old 07-19-2014
jakescichlids

Keeping: F1 Green Muragos, F1 Kiriza, WC Red Rainbows

I'd like to see some pics of your setup!
Old 07-19-2014
1971ls6

Keeping: Ikola, kasanga, Maswa

Look at my signature to see how effective the trickle filter is, 50 trophs in a 90 gallon. I do 75% water changes weekly and use purigen! nitrates are next to nothing! I also use poret foam in the wet section of the sump and a 1 inch pice covering the drip tray. By the time the water gets to it, it has been run through blue pads around the durso stand pipe and then through 2-100 micron filter socks, in another reactor, I have uses eheim substrat pro, same as the 406, dumpinotthe purigen and through a 5 micron sock. A ton of carbon changed every 2 weeks makes it sparkle. The key is surface skimming the incoming dirty water, forget canisters that are not prefiltered, as they are nitrate factories. I only open them once a year and rinse off the contents because all of the incoming water to the canisters come from the sump water that is ready to be returned to the tank