Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > General Aquaria Forums > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Projects

Notices

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Projects Discussion of DIY projects for tanks, stands, filtration, etc.

Old 11-08-2013
CiscoKid

::Profile::
Keeping: Maswa, considering other colonies
Default Custom Overhead filter

I'm looking at building an overhead filter out of Acrylic on our 98 corner Maswa tank. I like the tank, but it has some issues that make it difficult to work with. Most of the problems come into play because of the large amount of reinforcing glass at the top of the tank that was used to support it. The glass really limits the filtration options and it also significantly cuts down the oxygen / surface exchange. We've sorta worked around both issues in other ways (airpumps and internal filters), but decided that the overhead filter would be a way to really "solve" the limitations long term. The overhead box will actually be going in the area between the top of the tank (resting on the support glass) and the canopy, so with the canopy on you won't be able to see it.

I've got mostly everything planned out, but I'm really not sure how to best work the "return". Option one is to cut holes in the side of the new overhead box and run hoses back to to the water surface (side bulkheads) and option 2 is to cut a larger hole in the bottom of the overhead box and have the return as an overflow type system, with the return pipe extending back inside the tank. Looking for suggestions on if anyone thinks there would be any noise differences between the two options. I'm only going to be pushing ~ 150 gph through the box so it won't be a great deal of flow, but the family appreciates quiet tanks and I don't want to add additional noise if I can help it. If I go with option 2, I can make the overhead box larger because I won't need to leave space for the side returns...

Last edited by CiscoKid; 11-08-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-08-2013
Mastiffman

Sounds like a cool idea and very innovative!

I kind of like the side option for the return. It would probably be a easier route. You could set the return pipe level to overflow into the pipe and down and only allow about 1" max for the drop from the pipe to the water surface. Not quite sure how you'd have the water surface aggitation be quiet though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mastiffman For This Useful Post:
CiscoKid (11-08-2013)
Old 11-08-2013
CiscoKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
Sounds like a cool idea and very innovative!

I kind of like the side option for the return. It would probably be a easier route. You could set the return pipe level to overflow into the pipe and down and only allow about 1" max for the drop from the pipe to the water surface. Not quite sure how you'd have the water surface aggitation be quiet though.
Thanks Andrew. The drop was one of the things I was thinking about as well - I was thinking of possibly extending the hoses under the waterline and maybe just drilling small holes on the top of the elbows to make sure that the water is able to drain. I'm thinking (hoping!) it'd be quieter if I did it that way.
Old 11-08-2013
GMfrontosa
Site Advisor

Keeping: Nothing at this time

If u check out you tube i've seen some overhead filter videos in there...you can check it out and get some ideas! G/L😉
Old 11-09-2013
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiscoKid View Post
Thanks Andrew. The drop was one of the things I was thinking about as well - I was thinking of possibly extending the hoses under the waterline and maybe just drilling small holes on the top of the elbows to make sure that the water is able to drain. I'm thinking (hoping!) it'd be quieter if I did it that way.

Do you want the water from the OHF to create surface agitation? or will you have some other form of gas exchange within the filter itself. Maybe a power head focused towards the top of the surface.
Old 11-09-2013
CiscoKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
Do you want the water from the OHF to create surface agitation? or will you have some other form of gas exchange within the filter itself. Maybe a power head focused towards the top of the surface.
I was thinking I'd do the gas exchange in the filter box itself. My plan is to have almost everything in the flow path ~ 1/2 inch higher than the water level (bio media and pre-filter sponge for sure...) - kind of a small overhead "wet/dry" setup. For the bio media, I'm primarily going to go with Seachem Matrix - I thought that that would make a better choice for the exchange part than the Eheim Substrat that I normally like to use in the canisters.