Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition

Notices

Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Tropheus diseases, general health, nutrition and water conditions.

Old 05-15-2010
Kosmo

::Profile::

Well some months ago prior to the first spawning of my Ilangi, I ask the question that became a pole, who strips their holding females, and who allows them to release into the colony tank.
My first to holding females released in the colony tank, and I had no issues. About a week ago I had my third female release inthe colony tank, and all seem well. This morning at feeding time I noticed the colony was not eating as active as usual,and several of the colony flashing on the side, and bottom of tank. I took samples, and ran test, to find my ammonia level was elevated. I decided to do a massive water change.
I remove all rocks from half the tank, and vacuum, then replace those rock, and remove rock on the other half, and vacuum. Under one of the rock was a Ilangi fry half decayed. This was more than likely the problem, my level has return to 0.
I have two more female holding, and I think after my findings today I'll be striping the moms from this point on. I could just imagine how bad things could have become if it went undetected for a little longer. Luck was with me this time, caught before any loss.
Even with my sump one little Ilangi fry decaying can cuase the ammonia level to rise?
Old 05-15-2010
billansor

Send a message via Yahoo to billansor

I know a lot of people are going to disagree with me on this.

But.. The aquarium is far from natural....the rocking, habitat and closed in water is far from ideal...

The female fish cannot escape harassing fish easily.. The fry is not released easily and many times cannot find safety...

I think some females will hold past a safe period of time for fear of releasing their fry due to knowing its not safe for them...

Some people do and are very successful with letting the fish spit into the tank and often times will work rather well...

Having the experience that you had... makes it all the more another reason to strip and to account for every fish in the tank...

My thoughts and opinion...

Bill
Old 05-16-2010
Kosmo

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(billansor @ May 15 2010, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
I know a lot of people are going to disagree with me on this.

But.. The aquarium is far from natural....the rocking, habitat and closed in water is far from ideal...

The female fish cannot escape harassing fish easily.. The fry is not released easily and many times cannot find safety...

I think some females will hold past a safe period of time for fear of releasing their fry due to knowing its not safe for them...

Some people do and are very successful with letting the fish spit into the tank and often times will work rather well...

Having the experience that you had... makes it all the more another reason to strip and to account for every fish in the tank...

My thoughts and opinion...

Bill [/b]
Thanks Bill, you are a wealth of good sound info.

Had you ask me after the first two spawns I would say let them release in the colony tank. That is not my thoughts no longer. Live, and learn.

You are absolutely correct, my holding females were holding five to six weeks. They seem to only release when the young were to big to hold, and this was done a few at a time over several days.

Thanks Kurt