Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Breeding

Notices

Tropheus Breeding Discussion of Tropheus conditioning, breeding, venting/sexing, fry care and rearing.

Old 03-19-2010
Kosmo

::Profile::

I've had my WC Ilangi colony since the end of June 09, in Nov I had my first female hold, then another female in Dec. They held for about 35 - 40 day's, then they released the young into the colony tank. Those young are all fine, swimming amongst the adults, however the adults have not spawned since. They dance, and wiggle for one another but never for real.
I was thinking that it might be the young in the tank is causeing to much interuption, or prior to the young being released I added another pile of rocks.
My tank is 150 gallons, with a Eheim 2260, and overflow / sump. Also a K3 & K4 powerheads. The temp is 79, with a 1 degree differential off the controler. The parameters are PH 8.6 Amonia 0 Nitrates 10 Nitrites 0. I change out 80 gallons of water twice a week, and that has never changed along with the filtration, or water movers. The colony is 16 adults, and 14 F1 young 8 about 2 inches, and 6 about 1.5 inches.
What are your thoughts?

Old 03-19-2010
Kosmo

Just added info I feed HBH Graze, 50/50 1 mm. NLS Cichlid / Thera -A, and also Eoropean Shrimp Mix. Graze with NLS in the morning 7AM, Shrimp mix in the afternoon 4PM, then Graze, and NLS around 9PM. Lights go on at 630AM, and out at 11PM. None of these things have changed since I rec'd the Ilangi.
Old 03-19-2010
troph56

Keeping: Ilangi - Duboisii Maswa

In my own opinion I think you are changing way too much water, I like big water changes too but that much twice a week with the amount of fish you have seems like overkill, thats only my opinion ! On the other hand, when my Lufubu spawn I have always removed my fry to a grow out tank and it's 50/50 that they will spawn again rite away. Sometimes I wonder if the the adults sense that there is no real need to spawn if there are fry present in the tank. This is something I have always been curious about !

Good luck with future spawns
Ikola
Kasakalawe
Lufubu
Pemba
Katoto
Brichardi Katonga
Kiriza Gold
Petrochromis Red Bulu Point
Old 03-20-2010
billansor

Send a message via Yahoo to billansor

I am not sure what the European shrimp mix is... If you can share with us what is in that mix, it would help to know if food could be a potential cause.

Knowing what triggers egg production is key and in many cases it has to do with food.. quality of food and type...

Whenever I feed my fish frozen myasis shrimp, frozen krill and regular frozen shrimp, mixed in a warm jar of water and then stirred and poured into the tank. I do this in addition to my home made shrimp mix,,, within days, I will have spawning.. Usually just three days of the krill, shrimp, myasis shrimp cocktail would be enough to induce spawning...

Consider that..

Bill
Old 03-20-2010
mad4tangs

Hi Bill,

Can you elaborate on feeding your (trophs I assume?) frozen mysis, kril and regular shrimp. Do you chop up the frozen 'market' shrimp first? I have heard others feeding these foods to trophs and I have my reservations on attempting this myself. Will this in any way lead to bloat? Any additional info/suggestions or observations you could add would be appreciated!

Tks
Old 03-20-2010
Kosmo

Thanks for your replies. Bill the European Shrimp Mix is a pound of whole shrimp, heads, and shells, with a pound of frozen peas all put into a food proccessor, and ground to a paste. Then you can throw in a liquid vitamin, and spiralina powder, and further change buy adding other veggies. Then you use a non flavored gelitin mix and follow the instuctions on their package. When it is ready mix the shrimp mix with the gelitin, I normally throw it all in the food proccessor for a complete mix. I then pour the mixture into ice cube trays, and place in the refrig for a couple hours, then into the freezer. The next morning I empty all ice cube trays into freezer a bag.
The only thing I don't use on the shrimp is the shell that covers the head. I find that it is a little thick. The Trophs love this stuff, I feed it to the Fronts, and clean the plate scaps into the Troph tank, and after weeks of doing this, and them getting a little taste, I started giveing them a little more, til I started makeing it a mid day meal for them.It has been a regular meal for them for the past eight months.
Trophs69 I remember EK doing 100% twice a week with a good result. I've not gone to that extreme, but if less is better that sounds like a good thing.
Old 03-26-2010
Kosmo

Update: Came home from work today, and have a female holding, with the dominate male working on attracting other females into his nesting site.
Old 03-26-2010
JkdJedi

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kosmo @ Mar 20 2010, 06:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
Thanks for your replies. Bill the European Shrimp Mix is a pound of whole shrimp, heads, and shells, with a pound of frozen peas all put into a food proccessor, and ground to a paste. Then you can throw in a liquid vitamin, and spiralina powder, and further change buy adding other veggies. Then you use a non flavored gelitin mix and follow the instuctions on their package. When it is ready mix the shrimp mix with the gelitin, I normally throw it all in the food proccessor for a complete mix. I then pour the mixture into ice cube trays, and place in the refrig for a couple hours, then into the freezer. The next morning I empty all ice cube trays into freezer a bag.
The only thing I don't use on the shrimp is the shell that covers the head. I find that it is a little thick. The Trophs love this stuff, I feed it to the Fronts, and clean the plate scaps into the Troph tank, and after weeks of doing this, and them getting a little taste, I started giveing them a little more, til I started makeing it a mid day meal for them.It has been a regular meal for them for the past eight months.
Trophs69 I remember EK doing 100% twice a week with a good result. I've not gone to that extreme, but if less is better that sounds like a good thing.[/b]
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/food_recipes.php

my trophs love the mix.