Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tanks & Equipment

Notices

Tropheus Tanks & Equipment Discussion of tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 12-16-2015
fishyj

::Profile::
Default Need help with a filter

Hi everyone, I have to replace my canister filter which was a sunsun. I have a 75 gallon tank, I have a penguin 350 behind my rock wall. I am looking for a quality filter that I don't have to worry about leaking on me. The sunsun lasted less than a year. Looking for some options that won't break the bank.
Old 12-16-2015
JkdJedi

The Hagen Aquaclear 110! Bang For Your Buck Filter of All Time. Go for the 110 model, you'll be tempted to grab the smaller ones but they do a fine job but the 110 moves the max water of all of them, and that's what you want. Once the charcoal gets used up never use that again and just use a bag of crushed coral instead. The sponge rinses super easy and polishes the water crystal clear.
Old 12-16-2015
fishyj

It needs to be a canister because of my rock wall which is about 4 inches away from the back glass. I wish I could use a hob but I can't. The penguin I have running behind the wall gives me bio filtration, I have my intake and return already thru the rock wall for filtration.
Old 12-16-2015
kwikrob

Keeping: F1 Duboisi, F1 Muragos, F1 P-Trews, F1 P- TX Longola.

I've had good luck with the Fluval 404 for my 75 gallon tank. I use a HOB as well.
Old 12-16-2015
xXxTooL

i have an eheim pro 3 that i used on my 77 gallon tank and it has been a terrific canister. it's easy to remove the media, prime and runs silent.
even though it does a sufficient job itself i also run 2 aquaclear 110's as well for extra water movement and mechanical filtration.
Old 12-19-2015
JkdJedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyj View Post
It needs to be a canister because of my rock wall which is about 4 inches away from the back glass. I wish I could use a hob but I can't. The penguin I have running behind the wall gives me bio filtration, I have my intake and return already thru the rock wall for filtration.
I have these on two tanks, mine are just filled with rock. Easy to care for as well. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eheim-2217-C...4AAOSwI~VTxrNf <--Eheim 2217
Old 12-19-2015
oxheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by JkdJedi View Post
I have these on two tanks, mine are just filled with rock. Easy to care for as well. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eheim-2217-C...4AAOSwI~VTxrNf <--Eheim 2217
Every filter mentioned here I have had at least one problem with . my 2 choice are Cascade cheaper but very durable and consistant filter ,I have 10 of these. Fx5 and 6 never have they given me a problem I have 7 .
Pro 3 I have 2 sitting in basement with leaks at the motor housing .Have had the ehiem rep here tell me these filters are junk . IF you buy ehiem by the old standbys they work well. Fluval 400 series I have thrown away a dozen of these as my wife gets upset a mopping up water all the time.Never have I seen a filter so prone to gasket leaks these are horrible and everyone I know agrees .
Parts for the Cascades are cheaper and fairly easy to get , Ie hoses , gaskets , etc. I always have spare gaskets around for any filter I am running. I only have 2 requirements for a canister that it filter properly and reliable and that it not leak . Sad to say most manufacturers cannot meet these 2 requirements .

Last edited by oxheart; 12-19-2015 at 03:51 PM. Reason: had more 2 say )
Old 12-19-2015
fishyj

I am beginning to think about just getting an aquaclear 110 and modifing the intake and just drain the tank down and drill my background for power heads. After having the last canister leak about 7 gallons on my floor, lucky I wasn't gone to long. I could of had a major disaster.
Old 12-20-2015
JkdJedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyj View Post
I am beginning to think about just getting an aquaclear 110 and modifing the intake and just drain the tank down and drill my background for power heads. After having the last canister leak about 7 gallons on my floor, lucky I wasn't gone to long. I could of had a major disaster.
Please show us what your finished product looks like, could be something we all might want to try in the future.
Old 12-27-2015
xXxTooL

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxheart View Post
Every filter mentioned here I have had at least one problem with . my 2 choice are Cascade cheaper but very durable and consistant filter ,I have 10 of these. Fx5 and 6 never have they given me a problem I have 7 .
Pro 3 I have 2 sitting in basement with leaks at the motor housing .Have had the ehiem rep here tell me these filters are junk . IF you buy ehiem by the old standbys they work well. Fluval 400 series I have thrown away a dozen of these as my wife gets upset a mopping up water all the time.Never have I seen a filter so prone to gasket leaks these are horrible and everyone I know agrees .
Parts for the Cascades are cheaper and fairly easy to get , Ie hoses , gaskets , etc. I always have spare gaskets around for any filter I am running. I only have 2 requirements for a canister that it filter properly and reliable and that it not leak . Sad to say most manufacturers cannot meet these 2 requirements .
i had the exact same issue as you where the motor housing was leaking and i know it's a PITA but i did manage to get a new one that doesn't leak out of ehiem. might be worth a try if the filters are anywhere near warranty anymore.
The Following User Says Thank You to xXxTooL For This Useful Post:
AfricanDiscus (06-12-2016)