Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tanks & Equipment

Notices

Tropheus Tanks & Equipment Discussion of tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 11-13-2013
Jeffish

::Profile::
Keeping: Sp Red Moliro, F1 Illangi
Default Pump for Sump

I'm setting up my 70 gal tank with a DIY 10 gal sump and was wondering what size return pump to use. This is my first foray into sumps and have no idea how many GPH I'll be turning over. I'm thinking a Mag Drive 500 should do the trick???
Old 11-13-2013
Hungvanvo

Keeping: Red Rainbow, Lufubu, ILangi. Blue Rainbow, Ujiji.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffish View Post
I'm setting up my 70 gal tank with a DIY 10 gal sump and was wondering what size return pump to use. This is my first foray into sumps and have no idea how many GPH I'll be turning over. I'm thinking a Mag Drive 500 should do the trick???
Mag 500 is good or better for 10Gal Sump. The only thing you need a valve at out put pump ( $4.00 at Home Depot) it will help you control water flow back to the tank if the pump to strong..
Old 11-13-2013
rhickman

Keeping: Currently DRY :'(

Mag 5 will have a head loss of atleast 100 gph over 3' which most people usually pass with a minimum of 4.5' of head from their pump to the top of their tank. 500 gph is only 7x turnover of your tank approximately, if youre keeping trophs dont use a pump that small, a large canister puts out the amount of flow that pump will put out basically.

Id say Mag 9, Mag 12 minimum, I have a Mag 18 on a 75 but Im nutty and I didnt want to see any powerheads in my tank lol its not necessary. Mag 9 would probably would perfectly for what youre doing. Why only a 10 gallon sump?
Old 11-13-2013
swk

Mag 9 is a good choice, depending on the size of your overflow plumbing and number of drains
Old 11-13-2013
rhickman

Keeping: Currently DRY :'(

Mag 9 and Mag 12 even at 4 feet of headloss with 1.5" drain would be fine ya?
Old 11-13-2013
Jeffish

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhickman View Post
Mag 5 will have a head loss of atleast 100 gph over 3' which most people usually pass with a minimum of 4.5' of head from their pump to the top of their tank. 500 gph is only 7x turnover of your tank approximately, if youre keeping trophs dont use a pump that small, a large canister puts out the amount of flow that pump will put out basically.

Id say Mag 9, Mag 12 minimum, I have a Mag 18 on a 75 but Im nutty and I didnt want to see any powerheads in my tank lol its not necessary. Mag 9 would probably would perfectly for what youre doing. Why only a 10 gallon sump?
I have 4 extra 10 gals sitting around so I figured I'd just use one of them. And I figure 10 is enough.....just passing water through it anyways...lol I may end up getting a 25 and going with that.
The plumbing is 1.75 PVC, tanks is rear wall drilled so getting the flow right is gonna be fun.
And like I said earlier this is my first sump so I'm playing around to figure it all out
Old 11-13-2013
TroPhish

Keeping: Tropheus moorii 'Kasnaga' & Tropheus duboisi 'Maswa'

How many drains?

Regardless, I'd buy a 12.

You'll be glad you havr the extra power should you do somthing else with it.
And you can always throttle it back with a ball valve or tee off some flow and re filter it.
The Following User Says Thank You to TroPhish For This Useful Post:
rhickman (11-13-2013)
Old 11-14-2013
Jeffish

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroPhish View Post
How many drains?

And you can always throttle it back with a ball valve or tee off some flow and re filter it.
I appreciate the feedback and advise!

It is a single drain. I'll post some pics next week when I have it roughed in.
I found a sump calculator online and it came up with 7.6 gal sump size for my tank dimensions which included 10% fudge factor so I'm hoping the 10 gal will be enough. If not I'll up it to a 12 or 15 unless I find a cheap 25 online.
Old 11-14-2013
swk

I dunno....I run a 180 gal off a mag 12. It will definitely be more than enough

Check out some other forums, especially reef keeping sites as they tend to be beyond us ordinary mortal, freshwater peeps. There are some amazing newer pump technologies out there that rival many of the workhorses of the past with much more efficient designs when it comes to wattage consumed. There are a few pumps out there these days that do 1500 gph with half the wattage used as a comparable mag drive or quiet one model.
Old 11-14-2013
Jeffish

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroPhish View Post
How many drains?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swk View Post
I dunno....I run a 180 gal off a mag 12. It will definitely be more than enough

Check out some other forums, especially reef keeping sites as they tend to be beyond us ordinary mortal, freshwater peeps. There are some amazing newer pump technologies out there that rival many of the workhorses of the past with much more efficient designs when it comes to wattage consumed. There are a few pumps out there these days that do 1500 gph with half the wattage used as a comparable mag drive or quiet one model.
I've done a lot of reading on different sites and forums....I ordered a Mag950 yesterday from one of my fav Canadian online suppliers. I'm sure it will do more than I need so taking the advice of those above I'll likely put a valve on it to regulate the output. That does make me wonder about backpressure in the pump when the valve is not wide open.....
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeffish For This Useful Post: