Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Talk

Notices

Tropheus Talk Discussion of Tropheus in general.

Old 11-10-2010
Gusto

::Profile::

Hello Everyone, been reading for a while but this is my first post. I currently have a 150 gallon frontosa tank with a 30 gallon sump and I want to convert it too a Tropheus tank and have a few questions. here's a list of what I have just wanted some suggestion on the best way to change the tank over..

black sand.
black background ( now I'd hate to change that because I'd have to empty the tank so will it be ok)
River rocks with lots of cave.
3-- 28 watt lights. I want to change them because I've been battling brown algae for a while I think becuase the lights are such low wattage because the Fronts like little to no lighting at all.

the water chemistry should be the same and I also have a whole bunch of coral skeltons to buffer my water in the sump.
Old 11-10-2010
noddy

I don't see any problems with the set up you have now. I personally have natural sand substrate and a light blue background or no background in my tanks, but it's just a personall preference. Which varient were you thinking about?
Old 11-10-2010
Gusto

Hello Noddy thanks, I'm probably going to go with Illangi and I do want to change my lights beacuse of the brown algae I've been battling.. also how many can put in a 150

Thanks Gus

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(noddy @ Nov 10 2010, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
I don't see any problems with the set up you have now. I personally have natural sand substrate and a light blue background or no background in my tanks, but it's just a personall preference. Which varient were you thinking about?[/b]
Old 11-10-2010
noddy

It would depend on the footprint of the tank, and the size of the Trophs really. I have around 36 Ilangi in a 5' 120g tank. They are around 3 1/2 - 4", have grown up since fry and they are f1's. The only issue I have with them is trying to keep the nitrates down. If your tank is a 6 footer, then I would say you could easily house as many Trophs and have less issues with nitrates than I do as you have around 180g of water to dilute them. I am doing weekly 100g water changes in my 120g tanks and that keeps the nitrates at around 20 - 30 ppm.
Old 11-10-2010
geost

Great tank, I wouldn't need to change much. Do get your self a wavemaker for trophs and enjoy..
Old 11-10-2010
Gusto

It's a 6 foot tank, Thanks this is the tank a while ago and also with the fronts, I just want to change the lighting because it's a little too dark

This is a little more recent the layouts the same just didn't have a recent full shot.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(geost @ Nov 10 2010, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
Great tank, I wouldn't need to change much. Do get your self a wavemaker for trophs and enjoy..[/b]
Old 11-10-2010
Jrbama

Keeping: Duboisi, Moorii Kasanga, Moorii chaitika, Sp. Black Ikola

Beautiful Fronts! I had black sand and black background on my tank and added some F-1 Troph. Moori Red Rainbow Kasanga juvi's. I found that their colors were hard to see in the all Black Tank... So I changed my substrate to Pool Filter Sand and have really enjoyed it... But that's just my opinion.

Good luck with the Trophs and keep up the water changes weekly!

Old 11-10-2010
supadave

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jrbama @ Nov 10 2010, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
Beautiful Fronts! I had black sand and black background on my tank and added some F-1 Troph. Moori Red Rainbow Kasanga juvi's. I found that their colors were hard to see in the all Black Tank... So I changed my substrate to Pool Filter Sand and have really enjoyed it... But that's just my opinion.

Good luck with the Trophs and keep up the water changes weekly![/b]
+1
The black substrate will make the colors on the Illangi darken quite a bit . I would definitely switch the substrate over to a lighter color .
Old 11-10-2010
Gusto

Thanks for the compliments and suggestion, I will probably try the pool filter sand just too lighten things up a bit and are there any suggestions for lighting I was thinking of going with 2 36" HO T5's would that be good? I've been battling brown algae for a whileand I think it has to do with the lighting. Now with the Trophs if I were to get all F1's from the same breeder do you have to get rid of the males and bring in males from a different breeder. I'm not loking to breed but I know it just happens.
Old 11-11-2010
gonefishingaquatics

I too have problems with brown algae. great tank and fish. I was also into fronts for a while until i met Mr. Tropheus. I love their personalities. Then from trophs i've moved to petros and i don't regret it.

Troph mpimbwe, namansi reef, duboisi maswa, malasa island

cyprichromis leptosoma kitumba, Cyatopharynx foai Mbita, callochromis melanostigma, benthochromis tricoti, cyphotilapia gibberosa moba, Placidochromis Phenochilus Tanzania, gnathochromis perximillaris

Tanks: 360, 150, 135, 125, 125, 90(reef), 55, 55, 20, 20