Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > General Aquaria Forums > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Projects

Notices

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Projects Discussion of DIY projects for tanks, stands, filtration, etc.

Old 10-06-2014
AfricanDiscus

::Profile::
Keeping: None Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
Gotcha!

Those are nice Rocks. but like I said, I personally wouldn't use to many. Some in corners and one or two smaller ones in the middle.
I got a steal on them too. Once the sand comes i will clean it and start aquascaping and see what you guys think. There will be no water added for about 2 weeks now as i am waiting on my heaters, filter, etc.
Old 10-06-2014
Mastiffman

Cool. Looking forward to it for sure.
Old 10-08-2014
AfricanDiscus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
Cool. Looking forward to it for sure.
So am I. I am getting excited about getting Trophs finally. I was reading a thread on here after work and it got me really excited.

So I have a question regarding filtration. I have an Eheim 2075 aka Eheim Pro 3 160G. And i was wondering if this is going to be enough filtration for the aquarium or should I pick up another filter? (the filter is on another healthy aquarium seeding right now to help with the cycling process when that time comes.) I planned on getting another one. I really like the Eheim's because of the spray bar and unlike some i have found an excellent way to prime them. What do you guys think?

Also regarding heaters i planned on the Jager series by Eheim as they seem to be excellent heaters from all that ive read. I have never used them personally. But i was planning on going to get two smaller heaters to heat the tank. Does anyone have any objections to this? I understand that one heater would save me some money but how i look at it is if one were to be defective i could replace it.

Anyways update to the build, I have finished the painting will get a picture when there is better light as the room is dim. I also received the 80 lbs of Caribsea Special Grade Sand. I don't plan on using all 80lbs for this one aquarium. Once the wall gets finished behind the aquarium which im hoping happens tomorrow while im at work. Then the tank will be in its final resting place(for at least a few years). Will take pictures of Stand and canopy plus should have the sand and rocks done. But still no water.
Old 10-08-2014
Mastiffman

330gph/ 75g= 4.4x /hour turnover rate.

You could start with that, do weekly 50% water changes and track the Ammonia/Nitrites/Nitrates for the first month or more and go from there.

It all breaks down to how much of a bio-load you have on the tank (fish waste and extra broken down food), how much bio-surface that filter provides and how fast your nitrates build up according the bio-load and volume of water and water change percentage.

The Beneficial Bacteria colony will only grow to the size that is needed according to the bio-load.

Weekly nitrate buildup rates only build up according to the bio-load to volume of water (between the tank and filtration) ratio.

So, in other words... Smaller volumes of water will build up nitrates faster than larger volumes of water as it's measured in PPM (Parts Per Million).

I think that filter will handle the Bio-Load for now. As the Fish grow, just keep an eye on the nitrates on occasion as they will obviously eat more and therefore produce more waste, ultimately increasing the Bio-load.

So if you can get away with 25% water changes a week having 30-40 fry in a 75g, keeping the nitrates below 15-20ppm. That weekly water change percentage will go up as the fish get larger. So you'll have to increase you water change percentage to 30% weekly, then 40%, Then 50%, etc... As the Fish get larger. You'll just have to keep an eye on it.

OR, if you wanted to add more filtration units, this would ultimately increase the gross water volume and keep the nitrate more at bay as the PPM percentage will be lower than before.

People have though that over filtration is better as the turnover rate increases. But that's not the case. All that over filtration does is Dilute the weekly nitrates. More Bio-surface doesn't make the beneficial colony larger. Like I stated before, the BB colony will only grow to match the Bio-load in the tank.

Now if someone wants to "power feed" to beef up their colony for breeding, they may need to increase their water volume, weekly water change percentage AND Bio-Surface. As if they are over feeding their colony (which often times seem to be the case), the fish will not eat all of the food and it will get swept into the filters or decompose on the tank floor. This unnecessarily raises the bio-load.

Hope this helps and makes sense. It was kind of long. Sorry. I felt compelled to explain a few things.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mastiffman For This Useful Post:
rufretic (12-08-2014), Thurgood Jenkins (01-25-2015)
Old 10-13-2014
AfricanDiscus

Its update time. So over the weekend i cleaned 80lbs of CaribSea Special Seaflor Substrate. I have added the rocks to the aquarium as well but the pictures below are not going to be the final scape for the aquarium just getting them out of the way for the time being and also to give everyone an idea of the color of the rocks. Friday i will be ordering the rest of the equipment possibly along with the meds and food i plan on using.

I filled the aquarium up to see how cloudy it would be and also to see how clean i got the substrate and i would say i did a pretty good job on that. As long as i cleaned it for it better look that good!!

Front view

Side view

The light on the tank is also temporary as i am going to be switching to a 48" Current Led+

Any suggestions are welcome and much appreciated. If you have any questions feel free to ask also.
Old 10-13-2014
GMfrontosa
Site Advisor

Keeping: Nothing at this time

nice set up can't wait to see the trophs in there
Old 10-13-2014
AfricanDiscus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfrontosa View Post
nice set up can't wait to see the trophs in there
Neither can I but still have a little while before that happens
Old 10-13-2014
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanDiscus View Post
Neither can I but still have a little while before that happens
Very nice looking!
Old 10-13-2014
AfricanDiscus

Do you guys think there is a tropheus that will "pop" in this setup?
Old 10-14-2014
new2troph

Keeping: Tropheus, petrochromis, peacocks & haps.

Looks great.
90g
Assorted Male Malawi Chiclids
125g
Sp Moshi Mahale
Sp nkonde Fasciolatus Yellow
Sp blue giant petrochromis