Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Talk

Notices

Tropheus Talk Discussion of Tropheus in general.

Old 09-21-2013
1971ls6

::Profile::
Keeping: Ikola, kasanga, Maswa
Default Picked up 2 wild caught Maswa today

I went to the Michigan chichlid assoc. auction today, nice event. Today there was zero Tropheus fry for sale? Usually there is a decent amount? I found 4 bags of wild caught single fish sub adults from Pete Durkin about 3 inches at least, I found one of michigans top breeders and asked if he could vent them in the bag, he looks at each one for maybe 10 seconds and goes: female, male and could go either way, I ditched the known male, paid the $2.00 a bag priority fee and they bring them to the front of the line, bidding starts at $5 bucks and I just keep my hand up both times, $29 for one and $28 for the second one. These were the two best striped fish of the 5 that were for sale today, I was out the door and going home to get to the car show when it starts to rain, oh well, time to rearrange the tank and move out 1 goofy Ikola male that was whitish instead of yellow(came from petsmart) along with 5 Bemba/red saddle. I took them to my lfs and got a whopping $45 in store credit for 3 1/2 inch fish. I had my first try at venting these things, I should have had my overhead jewelers goggles on, because they all looked like males to me! Oh well, I at least thinned the heard by 4 fish.
Old 09-22-2013
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971ls6 View Post
I went to the Michigan chichlid assoc. auction today, nice event. Today there was zero Tropheus fry for sale? Usually there is a decent amount? I found 4 bags of wild caught single fish sub adults from Pete Durkin about 3 inches at least, I found one of michigans top breeders and asked if he could vent them in the bag, he looks at each one for maybe 10 seconds and goes: female, male and could go either way, I ditched the known male, paid the $2.00 a bag priority fee and they bring them to the front of the line, bidding starts at $5 bucks and I just keep my hand up both times, $29 for one and $28 for the second one. These were the two best striped fish of the 5 that were for sale today, I was out the door and going home to get to the car show when it starts to rain, oh well, time to rearrange the tank and move out 1 goofy Ikola male that was whitish instead of yellow(came from petsmart) along with 5 Bemba/red saddle. I took them to my lfs and got a whopping $45 in store credit for 3 1/2 inch fish. I had my first try at venting these things, I should have had my overhead jewelers goggles on, because they all looked like males to me! Oh well, I at least thinned the heard by 4 fish.
Nice, who was the breeder that you asked?

3" might be pushing it a tad with Dubs just looking at them. But the vent on males at 3" will be pretty small. FME, females vents typically start to get larger and more easily distinguishable, even if they haven't spawned yet, at 3"+...
Old 09-22-2013
1971ls6

Keeping: Ikola, kasanga, Maswa

Ron, the tall skinny guy, is usually an auctioneer . He was in the hobby in the early 80's when I got in it the first time.
Old 09-22-2013
JkdJedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971ls6 View Post
great story, thanks for sharing.