Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Photo Gallery Discussion

Notices

Tropheus Photo Gallery Discussion Share and discuss pictures of your Tropheus and aquariums.

Old 05-27-2014
Troyale

::Profile::
Keeping: WC Nkonde, F1 Red Ndole, WC/F1 Bulu Point
Default Wild Caught Nkonde

These are a couple of not so good shots of a recently imported goup of 31WC Tropheus Moori Nkonde. Even though they are not the best pictures you can see they are coloring up nicely. I especially love the reddish plum colors that their heads are showing already. I have had them for almost 4 weeks now in a 75 gal. quarentine tank. I will be adding them to the 180 gal pictured below. In the 180 gal there are about 15-17 f1 Nkonde @ 2-2.25'' & 12-14 f1 Bulu Point @ 2-2.25''. I like the contrast of the two variants together but will most likely move the Bulu Point to a 75gal and let the WC and f1 Nkonde have the 180g tank to themselves. This is my first WC colony and I'm very satisfied and excited not to mention I got them at a great price!

The Following User Says Thank You to Troyale For This Useful Post:
emeraldtroph (05-27-2014)
Old 05-27-2014
dannyt

Keeping: 72 gal bowfront 22 F1 Mpulungu are in da house!!

Very nice...those plum heads look sensational...mmmmmm sweet!

Just for interests sake why are you gonna mix the F1's with wc's? I have only ever bred tank raised troph's so "generations" have never been an issue to me when selling juvies. Once your whole colony is mature how would market their juvies? It seems from the time I have spent observing the buying & selling of troph's that F1's are sold for more than F2's and later generations even less.

Sorry for being so nosey maybe you don't plan on selling juviest all, I dunno. Just curious.

One thing is for sure; you have a large and beautiful looking group their mate. Congrats!!

Oh and btw the 180 looks mint!!
The Following User Says Thank You to dannyt For This Useful Post:
Troyale (05-28-2014)
Old 05-27-2014
Mastiffman

Glad to actually see them now. Nice!

Just picked up 12 more WC to add to my 5 from Greg. Seem healthy so far.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mastiffman For This Useful Post:
Troyale (05-28-2014)
Old 05-27-2014
emeraldtroph

Keeping: Kapampa and Lufubu currently, have kept Ikola and Bulu Point
Thumbs up

Wowzer gorgeous Nkonde!
The Following User Says Thank You to emeraldtroph For This Useful Post:
Troyale (05-28-2014)
Old 05-28-2014
Troyale

Keeping: WC Nkonde, F1 Red Ndole, WC/F1 Bulu Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyt View Post
Very nice...those plum heads look sensational...mmmmmm sweet!

Just for interests sake why are you gonna mix the F1's with wc's? I have only ever bred tank raised troph's so "generations" have never been an issue to me when selling juvies. Once your whole colony is mature how would market their juvies? It seems from the time I have spent observing the buying & selling of troph's that F1's are sold for more than F2's and later generations even less.

Sorry for being so nosey maybe you don't plan on selling juviest all, I dunno. Just curious.

One thing is for sure; you have a large and beautiful looking group their mate. Congrats!!

Oh and btw the 180 looks mint!!
Thanks and no problem with the questions. I thought about the same thing as far as mixing the wc and f1. A third of my f1 have super plum heads at 2+ inches and all have a very rich yellow I figured if they bred with the wc they would have some grade A offspring. I try not to get caught up in the whole f1/f2 mindset but i do agree that the market is motivated for f1 offspring. I considered selling the f1 but im kinda attached to them and interested in seeing if all of them get the nice plum heads once they grow out. Plus i want a nice big colony. Im still undecided if i want to sell the f1 or not. Guess i'll wait to see if any nice wc become available at a good price before i make my final decision. For now i want to see how they all will interact.
Old 05-28-2014
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyale View Post
Thanks and no problem with the questions. I thought about the same thing as far as mixing the wc and f1. A third of my f1 have super plum heads at 2+ inches and all have a very rich yellow I figured if they bred with the wc they would have some grade A offspring. I try not to get caught up in the whole f1/f2 mindset but i do agree that the market is motivated for f1 offspring. I considered selling the f1 but im kinda attached to them and interested in seeing if all of them get the nice plum heads once they grow out. Plus i want a nice big colony. Im still undecided if i want to sell the f1 or not. Guess i'll wait to see if any nice wc become available at a good price before i make my final decision. For now i want to see how they all will interact.
My Best Recommendation would be to pull the F1 Males and Put the F1 females only, with the WC Colony. You'll get the best genetics this way.

I think that the reason that the real filial generation is important is because of the Longevity of the Fish purchased because of it's genetics. There is a saying that most know... "You get what you pay for". I think that we all know at this point in time that this is not always the case. The market "Should" have people being honest about what they are selling instead of misleading people into thinking that they are getting one thing instead of another. This is where being patient and astute about purchases makes a lot of sense.

It's common knowledge that Genetics don't increase in qulity the more times that you allow siblings to reproduce down through generations. The gene pool becomes very intense and while you may be doubling up on Desired Genes/ Traits, the undesired/ poor qualites are also being doubled up on, making them more evident, therefore lowering the quality.

To really make sure that quality is kept in any species and variant, one must cull and choose any animal for it's best qualities, looking back and past 1 to 2 generations as well for undesired traits and breed for what is considered "Type". If you are looking for wide and intesnely colored bands, select for those while keeping in mind other desried and undesired traits as well. Starting out very por genetics is not the best way to start a breeding program but one must take the right steps to increase the over quality of their animals bloodlines.

Line Breeding is when you breed great uncles to great neices or great grandpa's to great grand daughters to "Lock in" good traits. But the most important decision through this process of selective breeding is to do what is called "Outcross". This is when you choose a completely unrelated group of immediate genetics (or very VERY greatly distant set, as technically they are all realted at their core) that will keep or even add to the overall quality of the breeding program to increase the genetic diversity of the Species/ Variant.

So as you can see, Filial Generation is actually a very important part of actual "Animal Conservation". Not just letting them stay in the wild. Techniacally speaking specficed and approved breeders should be allowed to reintroduce prime and highly genetically diversified groups of specimens back into the wild to conserve the quality and longevity of that animal. This has been going on with many other tye of endangered animals for a long time.

So we as humans really do have a resposibility to make the right choices for the animals that we care for. Not to just use them how we see fit. This is a common practice in the real world.

Sorry for the slight rant. But thanks for letting me share it.
Old 05-28-2014
MDTrophs

1st dibs on the fry.....lol

Russ
Old 05-28-2014
new2troph

Keeping: Tropheus, petrochromis, peacocks & haps.

Good looking group. Congrats
90g
Assorted Male Malawi Chiclids
125g
Sp Moshi Mahale
Sp nkonde Fasciolatus Yellow
Sp blue giant petrochromis