Trophs.com

Trophs.com (http://trophs.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tropheus Video Forum (http://trophs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Tropheus duboisi halembe (http://trophs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25798)

Pam Chin 12-20-2013 11:33 PM

Tropheus duboisi halembe

This is my group of Tropheus duboisi halembe. I have had this group since 2002. Unfortunately this variant of duboisi has been over collected by Ornamental Fish collectors. Konings saw no duboisi at Halembe in 2012. Hit the HD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cd7sIaIJ7I

Cichlid Power!
Pam

TroPhish 12-21-2013 12:11 AM

Nice group!

How big is that dang tank?

Have you lost any to what you would consider old age over the years?

Has breeding of the originals slowed or stopped?

And have you noticed any degradation of the band width or quality in the fish from ages 5 through 10? Has it gotten sooty? Or still shiney penny new?

Also do you believe that the fish we see being imported with the trade name (appearance and title) of maswa, are actually Pond or farm raised fish being falsley labled as wild be the exporters out of sight and overseas?

Why would there be sooo few coming in?

Or is it a spread the word that there are none so as to deter collections in that area in order to protect the remaiming slice of population?

Maswa witness protection program? :-)

John

Trophaolic 12-21-2013 12:15 AM

That tank is like Disneyland for trophs... :-)

GMfrontosa 12-21-2013 12:15 AM

I've seen this and the fish house…all I can say is that I was blown away I literally didn't know what to do or which tank to look at…a couple of hours is not enough to see all these beauty…My hands down to Ms Pam and Gary...

SilktheAbsentOne 12-21-2013 12:43 AM

Beauties. How many is in there? Makes my colony of F1 Halembe look.......Puny!

tiller25 12-21-2013 01:02 AM

Beautiful! Love Dubs.

GMfrontosa 12-21-2013 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trophaolic (Post 210638)
That tank is like Disneyland for trophs... :-)

Not the tank but the Fish house is like a Disneyland lol!:roflmao::roflmao:

clayn8 12-21-2013 01:14 AM

Very nice colony Pam!

Pam Chin 12-21-2013 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TroPhish (Post 210637)
Nice group!

How big is that dang tank?

Have you lost any to what you would consider old age over the years?

Has breeding of the originals slowed or stopped?

And have you noticed any degradation of the band width or quality in the fish from ages 5 through 10? Has it gotten sooty? Or still shiney penny new?

Also do you believe that the fish we see being imported with the trade name (appearance and title) of maswa, are actually Pond or farm raised fish being falsley labled as wild be the exporters out of sight and overseas?

Why would there be sooo few coming in?

Or is it a spread the word that there are none so as to deter collections in that area in order to protect the remaiming slice of population?

Maswa witness protection program? :-)

John

This tank is an 8' - 200 gal. It is an old plexiglas tank that used to be divided, each compartment was about 35 gal. I used to do my Julies and shell dwellers in this tank. Gary told me he was going to cut out the dividers and make one big tank, and I kept saying no, no you can't do that. But I was gone a on trip somewhere and when I came home, the dividers had been cut out, and there was my Halembe! lol It turned out great!

I started with 24 original wild caught fish, to my best estimation, these fish had been collected a couple years earlier, I knew going into it they were probably at least 3 years old. They were my souvineers from my first trip to Africa. There are still 10 - 12 or so original fish, they are the largest ones and they are still breeding. A couple of the old males have their castles, and they only let the ladies in, its quite the riot.

There isn't anything mentioned about band sizes changing on duboisi but I do think the bands appear smaller/thinner on older fish sometimes, its like they grow but the band doesn't, or they grow out of the band, I don't know what you would call it. Its like the scales get smaller but the same amount of scales are there. in the natural population there are duboisi with partial bands and no bands. However the band is still shiney like a penny even if it looks thinner.

Regarding the status of duboisi in the wild - It has been well publizied that Konings didn't see any adult duboisi on his survey in 2012. I will add that yes they are breeding duboisi at the lake. They are breeding duboisi in Florida, and they are breeding it like there is no tommorow in Asia. And they appear to be all called maswa. So, yes I think we should all be skeptical!

When hobbyists buy fish that are known to be at risk in the lake, or known to be in a protected area, we are just encouraging it to continue. So if you must have it, try to find tank raised.

Cichlid Power!
Pam

Pam Chin 12-21-2013 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilktheAbsentOne (Post 210641)
Beauties. How many is in there? Makes my colony of F1 Halembe look.......Puny!

I think there is about 80 in there! Build your group up, the bigger the group the better they look!

Cichlid Power!
Pam