Trophs.com

Trophs.com (http://trophs.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tropheus Photo Gallery Discussion (http://trophs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Pictures of cross bred tropheus (http://trophs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24489)

John Irby 03-03-2013 11:51 AM

Pictures of cross bred tropheus
 
Does anyone have pictures of cross bred tropheus from two very diferent looking adults?

Not like a lufubu and a chiatika mix or two sp. reds. But a T. moori RR X T. Sp. Black Ikola for example?

I know its rare but I also know that they have been known to breed on occasion.

Out of curiosity, I would like to see pictures of the offspring. Or pixtures of any other mixed tropheus.

Mastiffman 03-03-2013 01:42 PM

There is a thread on this forum.

You just have to search for "Crossbreeding tropheus"...

I think that it was RR and Dub

John Irby 03-03-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mastiffman (Post 195733)
There is a thread on this forum.

You just have to search for "Crossbreeding tropheus"...

I think that it was RR and Dub

Yeah, Iv seen the threads with pics of the two fish spawning.
Im just curious as to what the offspring would look like. I know with all the people out there with mixed tanks, it has to have happened.

Im guessing people just dont take pics of their mutts and post 'em. But they must be out there.

Just an FYI... I DO NOT keep mixed tanks or encourage crossbreeding of tropheus. I was just thinking about what they would look like and thought someone else had seen some or took pics.

swk 03-03-2013 03:34 PM

Most people cull the offspring, I hope...

John Irby 03-03-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swk (Post 195741)
Most people cull the offspring, I hope...


I know I would....Right after I grew them out to see what they looked like....studied them for hybrid vigor..... And took pics and posted them for everyone else to see.

moganman 03-03-2013 05:38 PM

Seems like some mixed fish die off early

gw12269 03-03-2013 05:57 PM

About 5 years ago, before I new much about tropheus. I bought 6 trophs that were labeled tangerine rainbows. I bought them. They looked like a cross between an Ikola and a Bemba. A few had orange bands, a few yellow, and one was almost all yellow with blue eyes. I have some pictures. They lived in a 40 gallon tank for years. Then they spent the summer in my koi pond. Herons and coons ended up eating them.

Mastiffman 03-03-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Irby (Post 195738)
Yeah, Iv seen the threads with pics of the two fish spawning.
Im just curious as to what the offspring would look like. I know with all the people out there with mixed tanks, it has to have happened.

Im guessing people just dont take pics of their mutts and post 'em. But they must be out there.

Just an FYI... I DO NOT keep mixed tanks or encourage crossbreeding of tropheus. I was just thinking about what they would look like and thought someone else had seen some or took pics.

I think that this thought has crossed most peoples mind. "I wonder"...

For some reason, mixed and hybrids are Completely Shunned in the Hobbist Community of fish, but domesticated dogs and cats were created this way. They are sill mixing Cats with African Servals called "Savannah's"...

But whatever. I woudn't go as far as killing them or selling them. Just would wait until they died off. I woud'nt really ever put my trophs in situation where it would happen anyhow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swk (Post 195741)
Most people cull the offspring, I hope...

I don't think that I have ever even heard of someone destroying hybrids of this nature. I've heard a lot of people say they would though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Irby (Post 195745)
I know I would....Right after I grew them out to see what they looked like....studied them for hybrid vigor..... And took pics and posted them for everyone else to see.

This is more like it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by moganman (Post 195750)
Seems like some mixed fish die off early

I don't know if I agree with that. I think that if anything, like Mixed dogs, they would have a larger gene pool and more longevity. But then again, I've never really seen someone try and grow out some hybrids. Except my broter in law. He had some Malawi Hybrids between C. Moorii and Red Empress. Looked like Big Red Empresses that were Covered with a Baby Blue Sparkle and Bumps on their heads like the Moorii.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.