Trophs.com

Trophs.com (http://trophs.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tropheus Species & Variants (http://trophs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Great Experience: Ilangi! (http://trophs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27310)

emeraldtroph 09-01-2015 12:16 AM

Ilangi!

Loving these guys, 4+ inches, 3M 8F
Too much aggression at first, but doing fine now with added decor...instead of the usual rocks i added a castle, Pam Chin style :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2u_5E63dcA&sns=fb

flyn dutchmn 09-02-2015 03:24 PM

They are showing some nice yellows...:) They do seem pretty aggressive, just like my Illangi. Are the cyps a good dither fish? I'm putting my 15 Illangi into they're own 70 gallon soon and hoping to keep aggression down that way.

dannyt 09-02-2015 04:09 PM

Nice looking group mate...did you buy them from a breeder or importer? Love the bright blood red fins. Really stunning. Thx for sharing :thumbsup:

baby puffer 09-02-2015 11:21 PM

Omg those fish are amazing! And your cyps are gorgeous! Nice job!

emeraldtroph 09-03-2015 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyt (Post 223907)
Nice looking group mate...did you buy them from a breeder or importer? Love the bright blood red fins. Really stunning. Thx for sharing :thumbsup:

Thank you Danny, I received these from an importer who says they are a mix of various filial generations, possible F1's and F3/F4s.

Ad Konings says Ilangi are a hybrid of a Moori and a Sp. Red, but when the Ilangi were overfished, the Sp Red moved in, producing the more red/orange wild Ilangi's yet those wilds produced fry that grew up to be yellow. It seems the tank raised from those fish stayed quite yellow too :D Very happy with this group!

Thank you Puffer, and I'm rooting for your new group!

Flyn, let's keep comparing notes....I read your comment on moving the Ilangi in with Dubs, let me know how they do now that they are used to each other and should do well on their own again. I've had these for around 2 months. I had to remove the dom male for 2 weeks because he was beating the rest of them down. I added décor, put him back, now all is well.

2 females were holding, but as I stripped and put the 10 eggs into a DIY tumbler, they spilled out and were eaten....I was so mad! I bought a Cobalt tumbler in case I strip again. They are big enough though, to where letting them spit in-tank may work too.

CCT 09-16-2015 08:28 PM

Nice looking group although they are not f0 or f1, but the colours are comparable.

emeraldtroph 09-17-2015 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCT (Post 224122)
Nice looking group although they are not f0 or f1, but the colours are comparable.

Thank you CCT, yes as I look at WC Ilangi YouTube's, I note that these are comparable. One female now into her 2nd week holding, happy for that.

flyn dutchmn 09-17-2015 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emeraldtroph (Post 223921)

Flyn, let's keep comparing notes....I read your comment on moving the Ilangi in with Dubs, let me know how they do now that they are used to each other and should do well on their own again. I've had these for around 2 months. I had to remove the dom male for 2 weeks because he was beating the rest of them down. I added décor, put him back, now all is well.

I put my illangi in with my dubs years ago. Aggression is fine but breeding is minimal as the dubs are dominant and it's a 4 foot tank. They are going into their own 70 gallon once I move yet again. I'm still wondering if cyps are a good dither fish as I've never had them.

emeraldtroph 09-17-2015 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyn dutchmn (Post 224135)
I put my illangi in with my dubs years ago. Aggression is fine but breeding is minimal as the dubs are dominant and it's a 4 foot tank. They are going into their own 70 gallon once I move yet again. I'm still wondering if cyps are a good dither fish as I've never had them.

Yes, Cyps seem to make Tropheus a little more calm! They eat the Dainichi FX just fine, and a little pinch of frozen Mysis twice a week. Hoping your move is smooth!

flyn dutchmn 11-26-2015 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emeraldtroph (Post 224144)
Yes, Cyps seem to make Tropheus a little more calm! They eat the Dainichi FX just fine, and a little pinch of frozen Mysis twice a week. Hoping your move is smooth!

I finally moved them into my new place yesterday. 14 adult Illangi, 5 juvie Illangi, and 7 juvie duboisi "Halembe". I'll probably throw in another 8-10 dubs to hopefully lower aggression.

A little worried as they've never been in their own tank since being an inch long.:I