PDA

View Full Version : Just bought Petrochomis longola and Tropheus Nkondwe bright yellow

dww-law
09-29-2010, 10:42 PM
I sold all my fronts, Comps, and an additional tank and spent some of the money on a couple of breeding groups from Greg. I have done business with Greg many times and as usual he is the consummate professional. Anyway, I will be adding Petrochomis longola (2M,3F) to my 265 Petro tank. Greg posted the pictures of the males and as you can see they are stunning. I also picked up 24 Nknonde Yellow Tropheus (4M 20F). I was going to get a breeding group of Musanga's but Greg's ratio and quality is tough to beat. Musanaga's and Nkondwe are so close I decided to go with Nkondwe.

My plan for the Petro tank is to eventually have the Longola, Sp. Red Bulu Points, and Mahale Moshi. I still need to pick up the Mahale Moshi and I am working with Alison to get them (Fingers crossed). I am also hoping to pick up a few more Bulus in the next month or so.

I will be housing the new trophs in the 265 with the Petros until the Petros grow some. Then the trophs will go in their own 180. Anyway, I expect delivery tomorrow and I will post picks.

Don

strongjohn76
09-29-2010, 11:57 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dww-law @ Sep 29 2010, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=49212)</div>I sold all my fronts, Comps, and an additional tank and spent some of the money on a couple of breeding groups from Greg. I have done business with Greg many times and as usual he is the consummate professional. Anyway, I will be adding Petrochomis longola (2M,3F) to my 265 Petro tank. Greg posted the pictures of the males and as you can see they are stunning. I also picked up 24 Nknonde Yellow Tropheus (4M 20F). I was going to get a breeding group of Musanga's but Greg's ratio and quality is tough to beat. Musanaga's and Nkondwe are so close I decided to go with Nkondwe.

My plan for the Petro tank is to eventually have the Longola, Sp. Red Bulu Points, and Mahale Moshi. I still need to pick up the Mahale Moshi and I am working with Alison to get them (Fingers crossed). I am also hoping to pick up a few more Bulus in the next month or so.

I will be housing the new trophs in the 265 with the Petros until the Petros grow some. Then the trophs will go in their own 180. Anyway, I expect delivery tomorrow and I will post picks.

Don[/b]

strongjohn76
09-29-2010, 11:59 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dww-law @ Sep 29 2010, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=49212)</div>I sold all my fronts, Comps, and an additional tank and spent some of the money on a couple of breeding groups from Greg. I have done business with Greg many times and as usual he is the consummate professional. Anyway, I will be adding Petrochomis longola (2M,3F) to my 265 Petro tank. Greg posted the pictures of the males and as you can see they are stunning. I also picked up 24 Nknonde Yellow Tropheus (4M 20F). I was going to get a breeding group of Musanga's but Greg's ratio and quality is tough to beat. Musanaga's and Nkondwe are so close I decided to go with Nkondwe.

Don[/b]

okej01
09-30-2010, 04:52 PM
Very nice, I can't wait to see the pics of the Nknonde bright yellow, is it too early to put dibs on the first couple batches of fry!

Mr. Johnson
09-30-2010, 04:55 PM
careful with those longolas.

SI Cichlids
09-30-2010, 05:33 PM
I agree with Mr. Johnson, watch those Longola's !

jman215
09-30-2010, 05:52 PM
[quote]
careful with those longolas.

Good luck with the longolas i had 8- 7inch f1 breeders and they killed half the mbunas in my 125gal
then they started to kill eachother 2 died and i sold the group in a hurry. at least i dont want them to die in my tank.

swk
09-30-2010, 08:43 PM
My f1 longola are like puppies compared to my F0 famula. Even after spawning I have no problems. I do have a large group of 20 though. I'm sure that helps. Congrats Don, just make sure they don't beat on your reds. Pack that tank FULL and blast them with water flow and watch close after the longola spawn. They're awesome fish but have a bad attitude and I've heard many horror stories about them.

dww-law
09-30-2010, 08:44 PM
If the Longola's get to crazy I can put them in their own 180. However, from everything I know about Petro's, it is all about overcrowding them. Fortunately, I have the ability to get a lot of Petro's and a large tank for them. 25-35 in a 265 should be plenty overcrowded (Some trophs won't hurt either. At least 24). At this point I still have not put the rocks back in the tank. I figured I would leave them out until a put all the fish in at one time tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes.

gernot
09-30-2010, 10:44 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dww-law @ Sep 30 2010, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=49250)</div>25-35 in a 265 should be plenty overcrowded (Some trophs won't hurt either. At least 24)[/b]

that's not overcrowded for a tank of this size. make it 40-45 Petros, that's more like it. the Trophs are not relevant for the Petros, they won't hurt but they won't stop a Petro going nuts either

dww-law
09-30-2010, 11:33 PM
My issue with the 40-45 is not that I would not do it, but rather, no has that many for sale at anytime (At least WC ones). I am on a waiting list for WC Moshi's and Red Bulu's so I will have to add as I go. With the shipment tomorrow, I will have 20. Hopefully, I will add more in the next few weeks.

DubMan11
09-30-2010, 11:45 PM
40-45 petros in a 265gallon tank is straight up retarded. thats like putting 6 dogs in one cage

dww-law
10-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Tell us how you really feel. You kind of sugar coated it :lol:

dww-law
10-01-2010, 12:03 PM