PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic and petros

alreu
12-06-2009, 12:51 PM
I was wondering if any of you have had experience keeping your petros in acrylic tanks. I may have an opportunity to pick up a used 240 for a fair price but it would be for housing my petros and we know how they love to graze on anything in the tank looking for algae - does their rasping action affect acrylic?
Thanks.

JkdJedi
12-06-2009, 01:50 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samm @ Dec 6 2009, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=39036)</div>I was wondering if any of you have had experience keeping your petros in acrylic tanks. I may have an opportunity to pick up a used 240 for a fair price but it would be for housing my petros and we know how they love to graze on anything in the tank looking for algae - does their rasping action affect acrylic?
Thanks.[/b]

I've never kept petros but if you can get that tank I'd go for it!

Goathead
12-06-2009, 01:51 PM
I havent noticed any problems with the petros grazing, but gobies will scratch acrylic.

JkdJedi
12-06-2009, 02:12 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Goathead @ Dec 6 2009, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=39049)</div>I havent noticed any problems with the petros grazing, but gobies will scratch acrylic.[/b]

Really, I didnt know that about gobies. Is it their teeth?

alreu
12-06-2009, 03:01 PM
G,
How long have you had your acrylic and how long have the petros been in there? how many petros are you keeping in the tank? are you cleaning the algae off the acrylic often so there is less of a tendency for the petros to go at the sides? or are you in fact saying you haven't noticed a problem at all.
Thanks.

Longstocking
12-06-2009, 03:56 PM
They will eat concrete...ask Leigh...

I really don't know about acrylic... but I know Leigh told me they tore up his DIY back gorund.

geoff_tropheus
12-06-2009, 05:56 PM
I have kept Petro's in Acrylic tanks, and both of my 300's are acrylic.

I have not had a problem with them yet, but I weekly clean all algae off any acrylic surface.

When I first purchased my 300 gallon and told Alex at Ultimate Fish in Houston, that I was going to have it for Trewavasae, he told me to be very careful because Petro's will scratch acrylic tanks.

I think it mostly depends on which Petro's you keep.

You can look at the mouth of a Bulu Point and see the rough texture on the lips is a lot more than a Trewvasae or Famula or most other Petro's

Keep the acrylic clean and you will be fine.

Which Petro's are you looking to put in the 240?

geoff_tropheus
12-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Oh and they eat paint too. A friend of mine here in Houston painted his wet dry plumbing and they ate the paint off. Now he uses the RIT DYE and it works fine no issue.

alreu
12-06-2009, 06:10 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(geoff_tropheus @ Dec 6 2009, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=39060)</div>I have kept Petro's in Acrylic tanks, and both of my 300's are acrylic.

I have not had a problem with them yet, but I weekly clean all algae off any acrylic surface.

When I first purchased my 300 gallon and told Alex at Ultimate Fish in Houston, that I was going to have it for Trewavasae, he told me to be very careful because Petro's will scratch acrylic tanks.

I think it mostly depends on which Petro's you keep.

You can look at the mouth of a Bulu Point and see the rough texture on the lips is a lot more than a Trewvasae or Famula or most other Petro's

Keep the acrylic clean and you will be fine.

Which Petro's are you looking to put in the 240?[/b]

I was going to move my moshi and longola in there with possibly some blue giants. Thanks for the info - I was going to send you a pm as I knew you kept a couple of large acrylics from some of your older posts.

geost
12-06-2009, 07:42 PM
I have 7-8" moshi and 5-6" trews in an acrylic tank. The trews do not scratch it at all however, the moshis does make small markings when they eat the algea off the acrylic. As Geoff mentions if you keep the algea off they are less likely to devour and scratch the surface. For me it is nothing that you can't repair and only noticeable when the tank water is drained but it is hardly noticeable when the tank is filled with water.

With larger tanks for me the acrylics are easier to set up as I set my 7' long tank with my wife. If I had purchased a glass tank I would need at least 4 more guys to move into position. Get the 240, your fish will appriciate it.

Apexpredator
12-07-2009, 08:50 PM
I have kept Petros in my acrylic tank without issues in the past. However, I did keep the acrylic scraped clean and let them graze on the rocks.

I can testify that their teeth are strong enough to chew through concrete. They destroyed a DIY concrete background of mine in a very short amount of time. While grazing the algae they would also scape small bits of concrete. Over time, the small holes became larger and larger. I wont mix them with a DIY concrete background ever again.