PDA

View Full Version : Question???

discman
11-29-2009, 01:44 PM
I have 11 W/C Longolas housed with 12 pond raised trews and 12 tropheus. My trews are about 3.5-4 inch and I have noticed females with their breeding tubes exposed. Here is my questiosn. I have seen the males court the females back to their territory to breed but have never seen a female hold. This has happened 4 or 5 times and no eggs. Is it possible they are just young and not ready yet even though the females have protruding tubes. I have noticed the Longolas are not interfering with the breeding ritual as they pretty much ingnore the Trews. Any advice or thoughts appreciated.

t-position
11-29-2009, 02:15 PM
if the longolas are not breaking up the spawning attempts they will eventually spawn. just sounds like they are young and just getting ready to follow through with it....as long as those longola let it happen. how big is your tank again? if it's a huge tank i can see the trews getting in a spawn here. i used to have some petro famulas that were housed with some simo diagrammas and the dominant simo wouldn't have any of the famula spawning. he broke up all attempts but once the simos were gone, famulas had a spawning party. guess it depends on how big of a jerk your dominant famula wants to be. :P hope it all works out!

Longstocking
11-29-2009, 07:21 PM
Feed them more...

Apexpredator
11-29-2009, 08:04 PM
+1

and change the water regularly.

geost
11-29-2009, 10:05 PM
+1, ever used mysis shrimp, krill or shrimp, shrimp mix?

discman
11-29-2009, 11:29 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(geost @ Nov 29 2009, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=38768)</div>+1, ever used mysis shrimp, krill or shrimp, shrimp mix?[/b]

I apppreciate the advice. Although, I don't think feeding is the issue. I feed them three times daily and this includes a blend I make of three different flakes, NLS pellets and shrimp mix. My tank is a 165 with lots of rocks and plastic plants. As i said when the males lead the females to a corner to spawn the are completely ignored by the Longola but no eggs!!
Maybe the are just too young.
Thanks again

billansor
11-30-2009, 01:14 AM
Hi

I am having similar problems... but am now able to address it a bit more....

There are 12 trews in my tank.... 4 males and 8 females. males are at 6 inches now.. with females being anywhere from 3 and half to 5 inches.... This last week 6 of the females dropped tubes and spawned.... several of the females paired a little bit with one of the males on one side.. and then went to the other side and paired.....The eggs were quite large and orangish.... I do have some pictures and a video that I will try to upload..

All six females held from anywhere 2 to 4 days...... They had huge mouthful.... I may still have some holding, because they are more shy than normal.. This is the 4th spawning.... A previous member (russ) Brian had these and never let them spit to term... He always stripped them within a few days...

The previous times that they spawned were during stress period times of moves.. vacations.... and other funny goofy things...

The next time, I will be doing some different things...as I noticed that the females need more hiding spaces... and will try adding more... I will also feed more... but will feed the frozen food already melted because these petro's eat in chunks... so am not sure if these chunks are damaging the eggs.

I observed that the very first time, there was a constant aggression going on toward the holding females and also from the holding females themselves..... I wonder if the excitement from that aggression could cause eggs to be eatened...

Just some thoughts and observations...

Bill :)

Longstocking
11-30-2009, 04:10 PM
They are big enough to spawn.....

It's either water/movement/direction or amount of food... my guess is still on the food. Try some simple raw shrimp cut up into pieces.....

Fish Geek
11-30-2009, 09:42 PM
+1 on feeding more and implementing raw foods into their diet. It will work wonders.

All the best,

Jenney.