PDA

View Full Version : Syno. Petricola and Trophs

bigdee
10-07-2009, 10:14 AM
I was wondering if this is true. I was told from an importer that he doesn't recommend me using petricolas as tank mates because it may prevent trophs from spawning. He said that it triggers troph's natural response to seeing cats (syno. multipunctatus) in the wild and stop spawning because they are aware of their spawning tactics of mixing their eggs in.

Am I being overly paranoid?

I have a fairly new colony of wc Ilangis and I would very much like them to start breeding.

I'm wondering if that only effects wild caughts and not F1 + generations.

Anyone have experience with this?

billansor
10-08-2009, 12:16 AM
Hi

I am surprised that no one has responded yet... My stepson had six of these cats in with a colony of duboisi... with no problems of the duboisi spawning... The interesting thing is that the cats did not seem to get involved at all.... What was more interesting is that when I had them in with the Nimbichromis Venustus... they got kinda involved....

Hope this helps... and I hope others chime in too..

Bill :)

marksp
10-08-2009, 03:21 PM
Hi

I have 4 in a tank

They are breeding as are both the troph colonies

Graham
10-08-2009, 04:13 PM
Never heard of that before. Could be the trophs might be a bit cautious but doubt it would ever actually prevent them from trying to spawn.

My sp 'black' are spawning reasonably regularly these days and they have group of 8 S.lucipinnis and 2 S.multipunctata in with them.

Romandler
10-09-2009, 01:05 PM
Over the past 10 years, I have kept both Moorii and Duboisi colonies with 4-5 Petricola each without noticeable interruption in breeding behavior. Through necessity, I also kept a pair of Multipunctatus in with my Duboisi for about 6 months with no issues.

bigdee
10-15-2009, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the replies!

I'm am just hesitant since it's my first colony of trophs so I'd like to be as careful as possible. I love my cats and would not want to get rid of them either. Some have been with me for many years with the addition of 7 more earlier little ones this year.

Has anyone ever noticed if petricolas eat fry?

billansor
10-15-2009, 07:25 PM
by the very nature of the shape of the petricola and their ability to get into crevices.... Yes they will eat fry..... if it fits into the mouth... it is fair game... and a gonner

Now there are some interesting information that has to deal with smart fry and dumb fry...

There are sometimes fry that thinks a mouth is Momma's Saray (Longstocking) has experienced this phenomenen with some of the tropheus opening their mouth when a female has spit... and the fry rush to the first avaialable mouth... only to be eatened...

Bill :)

24Tropheus
10-17-2009, 07:07 AM
Do you mean petricola or petricola dwarf AKA lucipinnis? Makes a big difference I think if the cat gets to over 5" or stays under 4" and has a small mouth. http://www.planetcatfish.com/shanesworld/s...?article_id=418 (http://www.planetcatfish.com/shanesworld/shanesworld.php?article_id=418)
But yep they both can eat very young small Troph young. Maybe just the stupid small ones from inexperienced mothers in the case of lucipinnis.
Not heard of em stopping the Troph from breeding long term but I guess adults might esp while the Troph are young
I would agree though even lucipinnis best for a Tropheus community tank not a Tropheus breeding tank aimed at max breeding and young production.

All the best James

bigdee
10-26-2009, 04:49 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(billansor @ Oct 15 2009, 07:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=36880)</div>by the very nature of the shape of the petricola and their ability to get into crevices.... Yes they will eat fry..... if it fits into the mouth... it is fair game... and a gonner

Now there are some interesting information that has to deal with smart fry and dumb fry...

There are sometimes fry that thinks a mouth is Momma's Saray (Longstocking) has experienced this phenomenen with some of the tropheus opening their mouth when a female has spit... and the fry rush to the first avaialable mouth... only to be eatened...

Bill :)[/b]

That may explain the loss of approx. 15 fry. :(
I should have taken the petricolas out. Atleast I have 8 survivers at 1"+ now. Live and learn!

lol I would love to see a video of the fry rushing into the next available mouth. Would prefer not to experience it first hand. :roflmao:

marksp
10-26-2009, 05:02 PM
I didn't feed the tank for 3 days as I was away - there is plenty of algae so I wasn't worried
I had a lot of new born moliro fry from 3 females
Now I have 2
I sold my Syno Petricola

bigdee
10-30-2009, 11:38 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marksp @ Oct 26 2009, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=37236)</div>I didn't feed the tank for 3 days as I was away - there is plenty of algae so I wasn't worried
I had a lot of new born moliro fry from 3 females
Now I have 2
I sold my Syno Petricola[/b]

Hmmmm....I'm starting to think that the petricola's aren't happy with their veggie diet lol

I can't get rid of them as they are one of my favourite. I'm thinking of just putting them in their own tank and see if I can breed them.