PDA

View Full Version : When does it start????

discman
09-05-2009, 11:53 PM
I have my new group of eleven 3-4 inch Longolas housed with my twelve 3-4 inch Trews. It has only been a short while but there is absolutely no aggression at all. They are housed in a 165 with lots of rockwork and plastic plants to help break up the sightlines. Thanks to Longstocking for the tips in the setup to use. I'm guessing that they are just too small or too new for serious aggression yet but I am new to petros and would like some experienced keepers of petros to give me some idea of when the aggression might begin. Has anyone else had them this small and still had problems with fighting?? Please share!
Thanks

geost
09-06-2009, 01:16 AM
Disc congrats on the additions, petros are very addicting and the trews and longola together is a great combination. :thumbsup: Are they wild or F1?
To answer your question, aggression can start when they are sexually mature, for some petros is around 3-4" or around 4-6" (not all fish will fit into this generalization). Again it largely depends on their numbers, the right M/F ratio and F1s is more accustomed to tank life. Two variants in "small" tank is minimum imo unless you get like 20 to 30 fish of a single type. So if you don't see any "aggression", don't worry, you are doing the right things! Enjoy them, feed them well and who knows they may breed like SWK's tricolors.

Post some pics when you get a chance.

billansor
09-06-2009, 02:39 AM
It is interesting to note on my Trew's that the aggression gets really really high when a female starts to drop her tube........... I think what happens that there must be some smell, or pheromes that lets the others know that someone is going to get lucky tonight... and so the aggression starts..

Thats when it will start as George said,, maturity...

The other thing I noticed is that females have a pecking order in order to BE the one that breeds......Part of nature

As George so aptly asks the question about if they were wild caught or F1's is very important from what we are starting to see..... F1's appear to have a more mellow style than the wild caughts... Not to say that they won't be aggressive... but maybe not to the degree as WC and it stands to reason that the wild guys are in a whole lot bigger environment and then to be put into a tank that - well, just sucks..... I would be unhappy.

3 to 4 inch is getting to be a nice size... :thumbsup: And as far as when will it start..., You'll know... A wise man once pondered the mystery of when it will start.... He came to conclude.... that it will start soon enough... :roflmao:

Bill :)

discman
09-06-2009, 08:11 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(disc @ Sep 5 2009, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=35763)</div>I have my new group of eleven 3-4 inch Longolas housed with my twelve 3-4 inch Trews. It has only been a short while but there is absolutely no aggression at all. They are housed in a 165 with lots of rockwork and plastic plants to help break up the sightlines. Thanks to Longstocking for the tips in the setup to use. I'm guessing that they are just too small or too new for serious aggression yet but I am new to petros and would like some experienced keepers of petros to give me some idea of when the aggression might begin. Has anyone else had them this small and still had problems with fighting?? Please share!
Thanks[/b]

The Longola are W/C and the Trews are pond raised. I wanted to add the Trews to try and help with aggression when the Longola get larger. I appreciate the responses and I guess I will just have to keep an eye on them when they get larger. Right now no problems at all, but as pointed out, the fun will probably not begin until the Longola become sexually mature.
The one thing I don't understand is that people are always saying that you shouldn't start with an aggressive type like the Longola. If I did start with a lesser aggressive type and eventually advanced to the longola, what would be the difference between now and then. What would I do different later on then now to keep them from fighting??
I have kept all kinds of fish for the last 35 years and I currently breed discus which has been very difficult over the years. I needed something new and the petros seemed very interesting and would prove to be a big challenge.

I just don't understand what an experienced petro keeper would do differently than someone who has never kept them to diffuse aggression. I'm hoping that starting with the 3-4 inch longola will give them a chance to mature as a group and hopefully(not really sure) help with aggression down the road.
Any responses always appreciated.

gernot
09-06-2009, 09:21 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(disc @ Sep 6 2009, 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=35778)</div>I wanted to add the Trews to try and help with aggression when the Longola get larger.[/b]

Good Luck

Longstocking
09-13-2009, 11:48 AM
An experienced petro keeper will know when they are going to try and breed before they breed. Therefor they will know when to watch for aggression before they end up dead. I know when I need to watch my tank more closely and how quickly they can kill of something is "wrong".

Right now ... if I did not have my tank set up correct, I would have a dead female. The longola just bred and the wild female that is holding would be dead if I didn't have the tank lay out correct.

They can breed at 4 inches. So watch out... I'm glad everything is going well for you :) I'm also glad you got the small ones ... you have time to get used to the aggression.

billansor
09-13-2009, 12:46 PM
Sarah is right on in how she says to watch the tank when they are about to breed....

One of the things that I have noticed with my trews is that when the female egg tube starts to bud (drop), the males start to go wild.... The female that is getting ready also starts to be nippy with the other females...

From the time the first bud of the tube to the actuall full dropping of the tube occurs to the actually breeding, may take up to 2 weeks.. during that time.. the tank will be in an uproar...

Do post some pictures for us to see as it may help us to see your layout and perhaps make some suggestions.... You will get some good options by posting pictures for others to see.

discman
09-13-2009, 11:21 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(billansor @ Sep 13 2009, 10:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=35949)</div>Sarah is right on in how she says to watch the tank when they are about to breed....

One of the things that I have noticed with my trews is that when the female egg tube starts to bud (drop), the males start to go wild.... The female that is getting ready also starts to be nippy with the other females...

From the time the first bud of the tube to the actuall full dropping of the tube occurs to the actually breeding, may take up to 2 weeks.. during that time.. the tank will be in an uproar...

Do post some pictures for us to see as it may help us to see your layout and perhaps make some suggestions.... You will get some good options by posting pictures for others to see.

Bill :)[/b]

You would have to tell me how to post pictures. I can e-mail them, post on other website forums but can't figure this one out.
So far, and i know it is very early, I have had zero aggression. What appears to be the alpha male will chase others from his territory but his chasing is very mild. Right now they all just seemed concerned with eating as much as possible. I have noticed one of the male Trews displaying to a female and it looks like her tube will be dropping soon. I have only had them 10 days so I am pleasantly surprised. I have been feeding the shrimp mix so maybe that has brought them into breeding quickly. Thanks for all the advice.

billansor
09-14-2009, 12:08 AM
My email is billansor@netzero.net go and send the pictures to me and I will post them for you..

and Yes.. you are doing things right if you have a female trew getting ready... Keep an eye on the whole process and that is what you will be seeing in most of the petro's.... some worst and some better.... the trews are the slightly milder ones...