PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! Are all the horror stories true?

discman
08-14-2009, 11:23 PM
I am selling my W/C Ilangi and would really like to give some petros a try but I have heard horror stories about colonies killing each other off. I have a 165g tank I would love to stock with some Longolas but must admit I am a little worried about the aggression. Is it really that bad? Is there a secret to keeping harmony in the group? I sure would appreciate any suggestions or experiences from people that have kept them with little or no problems.
Thanks everyone!

geost
08-15-2009, 01:51 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(disc @ Aug 14 2009, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=35021)</div>I am selling my W/C Ilangi and would really like to give some petros a try but I have heard horror stories about colonies killing each other off. I have a 165g tank I would love to stock with some Longolas but must admit I am a little worried about the aggression. Is it really that bad? Is there a secret to keeping harmony in the group? I sure would appreciate any suggestions or experiences from people that have kept them with little or no problems.
Thanks everyone![/b]
Disc, what is the dimension of your tank? There ways to "control" petros aggression, to name a few is large numbers, overcrowding, rock scape and water flows using wave makers. I've not kept longolas personally but maybe Sarah, Brian and others can chime in with their own personal experiences. If you can get longolas or other petros, start with fry as they tend to be easier to keep compared to wc, imo.

discman
08-15-2009, 11:38 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(geost @ Aug 14 2009, 11:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=35025)</div><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(disc @ Aug 14 2009, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=35021)I am selling my W/C Ilangi and would really like to give some petros a try but I have heard horror stories about colonies killing each other off. I have a 165g tank I would love to stock with some Longolas but must admit I am a little worried about the aggression. Is it really that bad? Is there a secret to keeping harmony in the group? I sure would appreciate any suggestions or experiences from people that have kept them with little or no problems.
Thanks everyone![/b]
Disc, what is the dimension of your tank? There ways to "control" petros aggression, to name a few is large numbers, overcrowding, rock scape and water flows using wave makers. I've not kept longolas personally but maybe Sarah, Brian and others can chime in with their own personal experiences. If you can get longolas or other petros, start with fry as they tend to be easier to keep compared to wc, imo.

[/b][/quote]
My tank is a 6F X 2F 165 gallon. I plan to use lots of rocks and plan on starting with at least a dozen or so petros. Any advice or personal experiences you could share would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

billansor
08-16-2009, 12:59 AM
I am far from an expert BUT your in luck..In addition to George (geost) there is Sarah who goes by Longstocking on also keeps petro's. She also in fact has Longolia's for sale quite often.... she has a wealth of information in addition to what George offers.

You would do well to Pm both her and George to get some solid good advice..

The one thing I have come to a conclusion about when it comes to some of the petro's aggression levels seems to be the personality of the dominate male and if it is wc or F1... Just seems like the F1's are not quite as cranky... Having said that, I am sure someone will say something to the contrary..

Bill :)

Apexpredator
08-16-2009, 09:45 AM
I would not recommend you start with Longola. Nobody should start with the large petros as you just dont have the experience to properly keep them.

Start with the famulas, trews or tri-colors. They are more docile than the larger macro's and moshi.

Your tank, however, is fine to house a nice group of Petros. Adequetly filter it and you wont have problems.