PDA

View Full Version : Plecos and Tropheus

hutz
05-03-2009, 12:16 AM
hey guys

today i got a nice pair of flash plecos 4-5" and one is really fat potentially preggo.... =)

anyways i want to throw them in a tank of their own (free of other plecos). ie my 120g tropheus tank containing 18 ikola trophs.
So was thinking of removing my albino bristlenoses and throwing the pair of flash's in..

my biggest concern would be food.. can i keep a big piece of wood in with the tropheus?

i cant put a piece of zucchini or algae wafers in could i? ( the trophs would eat it to fast wouldnt they? and cause bloat by the excess of food?)

any of u guys keep any plecos with your tropheus?

intrested in seeing wht u guys thoughts are...

mobafry123
05-03-2009, 03:10 AM
hi,
i have a bristle nose in with my petro and red rainbow tropheus and have no issues with food or bloat.i have a small piece of driftwood in the tank,but with my tank being a 180 the driftwood has no effect on my water chemistry.
the pleco eats the algae and the trophs eat nls.

davesolo29
05-03-2009, 03:13 AM
Hey Hutz... i just got some L204 Flash plecos today also.. Did you get them from George? Mine are in with my trophs, no issues. I will be feeding wafers and zucchinni.

hutz
05-03-2009, 09:26 AM
hey dave

no got mine from John from pn, a super deal..

thanks guys gonna put a piece of driftwood in tropheus tank today and try to ctach the flashs and put em in.

so do u guys ever clip a piece of zucchini or anythingto the glass? thinkint the trophs will overeat if i do tht

cheers

marksp
05-03-2009, 10:48 AM
I have plenty of wood and Anubais in my main troph tank and coral sand substrate. My water stays at 8.2-4. The only issue is that after the 10 years or so I have had this Mopani wood, it still leeches tanins

I let the trophs eat as much spinach/lettuce and brocolli as they want. Overeating isn't the problem it is overeating high nutrition pappy foods especially anything that isn't high in the roughage stakes.

Trophs don't overeat greens........for some reason mine have bursts of eating lettuce - for some reason all of them at the same time - then they leave it alone for a few hours - they also enjoy ripping it up for fun

I couldn't get them to eat zucchini at all

hutz
05-03-2009, 01:35 PM
thanks alot mark thts exactly wht i wanted to hear

theres no probs with the tannins is there other then looks?

do u feed em peas or anything?

i wanna get these flashs to breed today is a complete fish day gonna redo most my tanks

awesome just awesome =)
glad to hear they can eat as much greens as they want

billansor
05-03-2009, 02:11 PM
What Marksp said about the protein is the key.... Everyone knows what happens when a person changes diet and goes on veggies only....The first several days,,,,,,ooooowheeeeeeee

Veggies are rich in protein of the kind that can be assimilated easily by the trophs..

When you get a chance to go to the store and get fresh mustard greens, fresh spinach and other greens... and get one of those suction clip ons to clip the greens on the front of the tank... its gonna be feeding frenzy time.

Mark made the observation that they will eat and relax... eat and relax... All of them do this at once.. hence the colony type behavior... Its kinda like the school fight. We all coming running to see the 'fight fight fight' I find my colony just all have to get nosy when a couple start doing their fight thing.... Its a riot...

We is gonna have us a pigout time now.... and they go a pigging...

If you find that the wood brings the Ph level down,,, add some baking soda..

if your going to use pea's straight without mixing your food then deshell the peas. Don't cook them...

let us know how you make out... :thumbsup:

Bill :)

hutz
05-03-2009, 04:09 PM
thanks alot guys

of course i coem back from big als and forget to get a clip which i had intended to get! lol

dww-law
05-03-2009, 08:19 PM
Your only feeding and climate concern in a tropheus tank should be your trophs. Wood lowers the PH. Do not put wood in your tank. Your pleco's need to adapt to what your tropheus eat not the other way around. I keep an orange spotted pleco in each of my tanks. They get what the trophs don't eat. I do not feed them anything different. The one in my Ikola tank grew from 3 inches to almost 8 inches in about 8 months. He has adapted by coming out and eating the NLS along with my 35 Ikola as well as algae in the tank. Your Pleco's will be fine. They are a very adaptable creature. However, the priority must be the trophs.

hutz
05-03-2009, 08:25 PM
well i have multiple limestone boulders in the tank. so i dont think one piece of malasian driftwood is gonna kill em.

dww-law
05-03-2009, 10:27 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hutz @ May 3 2009, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=30479)</div>well i have multiple limestone boulders in the tank. so i dont think one piece of malasian driftwood is gonna kill em.[/b]

No, in and of itself it won't. However, change in conditions=stress. Stress can=bloat. Bloat can kill and is the number 1 killer of tropheus. Pleco's don't need wood and are much more adaptable than tropheus so why not make them adapt to the tropheus tank rather than make the tropheus adapt?

I believe you stated you have 18 Ikola. Risk stress to 18 Ikola for two pleco's?

By the way, wood will decay much quicker in water than a limestone rock, thus decaying wood will lower PH quicker than a limestone rock can elevate it. Simple science. Not saying wood will make your water intolerable to trophs. I am just saying that from a scientific standpoint, wood in water lowers PH quicker than limestone rocks raise it, given the small space an aquarium is limited to. Anyway, do what you want. You asked for advice so I am giving you my educated opinion. Good luck.