PDA

View Full Version : .Simochromis diagramma

soaresv
02-16-2009, 12:45 PM
Hi,

Since this is my first post, let me introduce myself. My name is Vitor Soares, and I am a Tropheus addicted from Portugal. I have been breeding Mbuna for several years ago, with very good results…

I am now setting up my first Trophs tank (65 gallon), tor maintain a small colony of Tropheus sp. Zongwe (my favorites)…

Besides Tropheus, I am also very interested in Simochromis diagramma (Isanga). Does anyone have experience in maintaining those guys with Tropheus? What's minimum dimension of the tank, to maintain a small colony of trophs + a small colony of Simochromis?

Thank you very much for your help! :thumbsup:

alreu
02-20-2009, 09:14 AM
Welcome Vitor. You're in for some exciting times trying your hand at tropheus. Good luck. As to a 65 gallon tank for a "small" colony of trophs this may be a challenge. The word "small" is problematic both in terms of the tank size, especially if it is a 3 foot - and the group of fish. I am sure you have had advice and read quite a bit but a minimum colony of trophs should probably be around 15 pieces or so, but I am sure some people have been successful with numbers less than that - but overall, experience says with trophs a 15+ colony works best to minimize/spread aggression. If your suggestion of a small group is less than that I would be prepared for potential problems. As to simochromis diagramma, I keep several tanks with these beasts (as well as the smaller babaulti) and advise NOT to keep them in less than a 6 foot tank. The diagramma can get to 16-20 cm and are very robust, aggressive and mean, as well as being fin and tail nippers. I have had 2" diagramma in a group of 40+ fry/juvie mix (females typically throw about 30 fry) and at that size, already, the dom male kept half the 125G tank to himself. There were even a few larger petro famula in there with the diagramma and they kept out of the way. If you do decide to go ahead in anything smaller than a 6 foot tank, definitely only put in one male with several females or you'll have very serious problems which will end fatally. Have fun with the trophs.

Heather
02-21-2009, 09:28 AM
Welcome to Trophs.com! :wave: :wave: :wave:

You may find what the very wise Sarah had to say on those Simos helpful..... I sure did.
With that posted, I know of several who do keep them along with Trophs successfully, although they are in fairly large tanks. :Thinking:

Just good to know what you're getting in to ;)

LINK (http://trophs.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=2943&view=findpost&p=23202)

Originally posted by Sarah - Longstocking
To warn you... S. diagramma is the meanest fish I have ever kept. PERIOD But, they are worth the trouble. A full grown diagramma will pound ANY petrochromis into a corner if he wants to. But, he will also keep the petrochromis is check. Meaning, you won't come home and find all your female Petros dead or in a corner because your male Petro went crazy. That is the advantage to them. Diagramma doesn't do any real damage to any fish.... but he sure rules the tank and keeps the Petros in order.

Mr. Johnson
02-21-2009, 11:14 AM
Sounds like one simo to herd a group of petros is a good idea! :thumbsup:

LittleAfricaAquatics.com
02-21-2009, 11:48 AM
I have kept simos with trophs and had no problems as they didnt pay any attetion to each other, but you might need a bigger tank, Greg :Thinking:

t-position
02-21-2009, 01:01 PM
hey victor! welcome to trophs.com! i have 22 simochromis diagramma isanga and i will tell they are full of energy and fun to watch but man they are mean! they are just fin nippers and very aggressive. my buddy who had them had to remove them from his 180 in which they were giving his lufubu problems as well as other fish in the tank. that worked out for me as i added his to my group. they will domminate a tank for sure from my experience. i now have mine in a 125 by themselves and can't think of anything to put with them. Qaddition had me thinking about putting some limnotilapia dardenenni with them and hoping their size would keep them from getting harassed too bad. they are really cool fish though and that makes it hard for me to get rid of them. they are spawning a ton too.

Longstocking
02-22-2009, 01:54 PM
Limno's will eventually rule the tank if you try it. It does work though :) Well... kind of, my Simochromis and Limnotilapia eventually just came to an understanding that they woud leave each other alone lol.

A limotilapia male can get to 10 inches and can take a pounding !! I had a wild male that literally broke his jaw because he was trying to breed with one of his girls and he slammed into the glass !! Broke his jaw out right. It was crazy/sad to watch !!

They are not mean or aggressive to other fish. Just a big bruiser of a fish that swim along :)

t-position
02-22-2009, 08:59 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Longstocking @ Feb 22 2009, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=25549)</div>Limno's will eventually rule the tank if you try it. It does work though :) Well... kind of, my Simochromis and Limnotilapia eventually just came to an understanding that they woud leave each other alone lol.

A limotilapia male can get to 10 inches and can take a pounding !! I had a wild male that literally broke his jaw because he was trying to breed with one of his girls and he slammed into the glass !! Broke his jaw out right. It was crazy/sad to watch !!

They are not mean or aggressive to other fish. Just a big bruiser of a fish that swim along :)[/b]

thanks sarah! that's crazy about his jaw. i knew you had both simos and limnos. i haven't seen the limnotilapia for sale anywhere though. you selling any f1's?

soaresv
02-23-2009, 06:24 AM
Thank you very much to you all!! :thumbsup:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samm @ Feb 20 2009, 08:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=25415)</div>The word "small" is problematic both in terms of the tank size, especially if it is a 3 foot - and the group of fish. I am sure you have had advice and read quite a bit but a minimum colony of trophs should probably be around 15 pieces or so, but I am sure some people have been successful with numbers less than that - but overall, experience says with trophs a 15+ colony works best to minimize/spread aggression. If your suggestion of a small group is less than that I would be prepared for potential problems.[/b] Tropheus tank size is 4 ft* 1,3ft*1,6ft - 65 gallon. Since is my first experience with Tropheus, I am starting with a small tank.

The planned colony size is 8 Tropheus sp. Zongwe – pond raised in Burundi. Do you think it's too small? If so, should I increase colony size – up to 15 individuals - or may I add another species – Tropheus sp. Red (Moliro), for example?

Regarding tank mates, I am planning to add a pair of Spathodus erythrodon (Kabezi), and a small colony of Neolamprologus brevis (Ikola). Any problem with these mates?

The Simochromis are being planed for a new 6ft tank… This new tank will only be available by the end of this year, in my new house. The target for 6ft tank is to join actual Tropheus colony and Simos…

Gill Plate
02-23-2009, 08:45 AM
If the T's are sub-adults then the 65G would be acceptable for a grow out tank and then you could move them into a 6' tank later. I prefer to keep T's by them selves or with golby types. I have found T's to fill a tank with activity in and out of the rock so to me no real need of tank mates. I would not mix T's unless you mix with duboisi.

Longstocking
02-23-2009, 03:16 PM
I used to sell quite a few of them. I sold the wilds to a freind of mine locally.

I still have the simo's though :)

t-position
02-23-2009, 05:25 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Longstocking @ Feb 23 2009, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=25606)</div>I used to sell quite a few of them. I sold the wilds to a freind of mine locally.

I still have the simo's though :)[/b]

bummer on you getting rid of those dardenni. :( thanks for getting back!