PDA

View Full Version : Would any of these work as tankmates?

JGoslee
07-29-2008, 11:11 PM
I'm looking for some tankmates for my 120gal(48"x24"x24") Murago tank. Currently I have 12-2" Muragos, 1-2" Petro Trewasae, 3 syno multis, and 2 syno petros. I'd like to add 1 or 2 more fish to this tank. When my trophs start breeding I'm just going to go survival of the fittest. If the babies survive great, if they get eaten oh well. Here's some of the fish I'm considering...

Lepidiolamprologus elongatus
Lepidiolamprologus kendalli
Neolamprologus leleupi
Neolamprologus nigriventris
Neolamprologus tretocephalus

I'd like to add atleast one of these fish.

t-position
07-30-2008, 01:05 AM
all of those guys are going to be looking to munch some fry. i know plenty of people keep those other tanganyikans with trophs successfully but they do have completely opposite diet requirements than do trophs. they may, and probably will, also be a spawning disruption to your muragos. that being said i'm sure you can keep them together just watch what you feed them...probably have to stick almost exclusively to the nls.

Mr. Johnson
07-30-2008, 11:16 PM
I think anyone of these would work as tank mates.

Regarding food, just make sure your trophs stay the main concern and everything should be fine. Feed your fishes as if you only keep trophs and make everyone else adjust to them.

As the other fishes get bigger there might be some territorial issues because it's a 4 footer but if the trophs are the biggest ones and holding their own I don't see it being an issue.

eklikewhoa
07-31-2008, 03:11 AM
I would not put the Neo.Trets in with Tropheus.

As for survival of the fittest....with those tankmates it would be survival of the elitist!

Mr. Johnson
07-31-2008, 05:26 AM
I kept some trets in a mixed community tank a few years ago. While aggressive, they're not usually vicious to anything but conspecifics. However, aggressiveness increases dramatically while breeding.

Nevertheless, I still think a colony of adult trophs could handle a pair of trets. On average I think trets get about 4 inches, so make sure your trophs are at least that size before the trets start breeding.

eklikewhoa
07-31-2008, 08:32 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(From LiveAquaria @ Jul 31 2008, 04:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=14444)</div>N. tretocephalus is a very pretty little fish with neon and purplish blue outlines in its fins and in the rest of the body. Although they are beautiful, they tend to be extremely aggressive creatures, claiming large areas of substrate and caves. If the owner plans to keep them for the long term, then they are best kept in a species tank with a minimum capacity of 300 L and a length of 120 cm. As noted before, this species is extremely aggressive and might fool customers when they are sold as juveniles, then grow to maturity and kill anything that crosses its path. Even in a species tank it is difficult to maintain these fish.

Diet is very important in their well-being, and in maintaining them for the long-term basis, Trets are vicious carnivores. Their diet is based on a good supply of live foods, since in their natural habitat, they spend time hunting snails and hunting for fish when specimens grow large. But they also accept commercial foods like flakes, pellets and, because they are bottom dwellers, sinking foods are needed. Also, if large fish are kept, they should be fed with live foods, good meaty foods and feeder snails are recommended.[/b]

They inhabit the same areas that the Trophs try to claim.